Help make out skies darker.

Man of Honour
Ridiculous idea.
Edit: Can you imagine lights blinking on and off all the time, forget that they don't come on immediately anyway. It would be a ******* mess on the eyes, would be a right pain in the rear for people living in cities also.
I can't think of a worse idea than having lights off and only turning them on when someone is near.

Don't forget all the cars running around on full beam.

Want stars? Move to the country.

Or even move to another country.

Man of Honour
Maybe it will give them an advantage. But there has to be a better way to light the streets without making the sky orange for a 50 mile radius.
Downlighters (not sure of correct term) are the only answer tbh, I love star gazing but switching the lights off isn't really a sensible option.

Nope, light reflects of the ground, that's how we see. if it doesn't reflect we can't see as easy as that. They already have covers on top of lights.

Muggers is just one very small point of lighting.
I think all motorways should be lit.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
as much as a good idea this is, i can't see it happening.
light pollution is always going to be a problem in the UK, as it's quite a densley populated country

to be fair, the main reason for cutting it should be saving money on power, rather than making it better for astronomers :p

Nope, light reflects of the ground, that's how we see. if it doesn't reflect we can't see as easy as that. They already have covers on top of lights.

What are you saying exactly ?, that Dowlighters don't work ?, we have quite few new energy saving Downlighters in our town and although they don't eradicate the light from polluting the sky completely they certainly do minimise it allot, And also I'm perfectly aware of the scientifics of how we see.

And yes they already have covers on the standard lights but have you actually seen the design of the new downlighters ?, they essentially have what could almost be described as a lampshade on them that reflects and directs the light onto the ground, it minimises a lot of the light leakage that escapes into the sky due to the fact that the cover of a standard street light is very small, and also because of this new design they don't require such a high wattage lamp.

It's not a perfect solution but it does help.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive signed it, as I still struggle to understand the need for so many lights in so many places.

For instance, they have just built a new dual carriage way in Peterborough, every 10/15m or so is a street light, why do we need them that close and that many on? why not every 25m ??

I agree you need street lighting to reduce crime/accidents etc, but I think on the major roads, they should switch off every other or every 2 that will help reduce the light pollution

Kimbie

Soldato
pretty sad that a lot of kids miss out on the stars ,up here in yorkshire the range of things you can see is pathetic (lighting and pollution),down in cornwall i sit out for hours first watching the satalites then a haze of stars

Soldato
I'm not going to sign it because quite frankly its silly. If my lights are on when it matters it is because I want to see which is going to either be at night, then my curtains are closed so that people can't see in or during the day to brighten up a dim room, in which case its light anyway.

You will get more light form street lamps and cars and some people switching off lights wont make a blind bit of difference in an urban area. Looking out my window now (and I had to open my closed curtains to do so) I can see no lights from houses (of about 100 semi-detached houses) and the only ones there are from street lights.

Nice sentiment, but frankly pointless.

Don't get me wrong, I love astronomy, but being realistic here, If I wanted to do it I know that the only place i can do it is far into the countryside and away from towns/cities.

- Pea0n

Back
Top Bottom