• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon HD 48** (RV790) & HD 47** (RV740) Launch On Apr 6th

Soldato
April 6th is gonna be a big day for AMD as they are going to launch a slew of new cards. As we have told you back in February, Radeon HD 48** (RV790) is slated for April release and the confirmed date is now 6th of April. Interestingly, we also heard RV740 is pulled in from May to early April release so AMD will probably launch the new cards on the same day.

Radeon HD 48** (RV790) is still 55nm based and is basically a higher clocked version of RV770. The RV790 card comes with 10 layers PCB and is 9.5" long with a new dual slot cooler. We told you previously, there are 2 versions; standard and OC edition. The OC edition will come later in April. The price for standard 512MB edition is US$199 while the price for 1GB OC edition is US$299.

Radeon HD 47** and 47** is 40nm based and we already have seen a preview of it. Price of HD 4750 is expected to be around US$99 while HD 4770 is priced at around US$119. Apparently, the yield is so good that AMD decided to pull in from May to early April release to give GeForce GTS 240 and 9600 GT a run for its money.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

There is, a new cooler and a ******* higher price by the looks of it, ******** have gone Green, they can shove em.

Wow, that's an angry post for something as simple as a new gfx card. Too much coffee this afternoon?

I agree though - it's a mite dissapointing if is simply high core clocks. Sticking with my 4870's in cossfire for a while longer methinks.

Caporegime
Loadsa, most generations of cards for the past decade have had faster refresh parts available, whats exactly new about that and whats your issue.

There really is a vast issue between renaming the same cores you have stockpiled in a warehouse and reselling them as something else, and essentially bringing out a higher binned, maybe tweaked process better performing core thats got a almost 30% clock speed boost you get without voiding your warranty. I mean an insanely different situation, not to mention that with no confirmed specs they might have thrown in a few more or something here and there, an improved pre-fetch this, a cache snooper that, or a twiddle-de-doo that gives another 10% performance bump.

But again I'll point out, from a GF3 to a gf4ti, a 9700 to a 9800 pro to a 9800xt, 7800/7900. Its the done thing, card released, 6-8months later a refresh from a slightly tweaked process, 6-8 months later, a new generation of parts.

What exactly is the problem here, I'll also point out that maybe ATi were forced into this by the 6 month delay on the tsmc 40nm process, and the fact its supposedly no where near as good as it was supposed to be.

Soldato
Hey Hey, birthday present to me. Anyway, it sounds a little lame, with just core clock speed increases. However, the article mentions 10 levels of PCB. How many do the existing boards have and if it is less, perhaps they have fiddled with the circuitry to allow for uber speeds? >1Ghz

Caporegime
The only significant difference we can hope for is that these are handpicked 4870's with all the stream processors intact and enabled.

Soldato
What nVidia did:

Released a very slightly faster version of the same product as the top and midrange of two entirely different product ranges.

What ATi are doing:

Releasing a higher end SKU of the same product range.

Permabanned
I personally don't see the problem of a die shrink being played safe using older tech to increase success. This isn't meant to be a new card and is not labeled as such. So why the anger?

Faster than a 4670 yet slower than a 4850, what would you name it? :p.

Klo

Klo

Soldato
What nVidia did:

Released a very slightly faster version of the same product as the top and midrange of two entirely different product ranges.

What ATi are doing:

Releasing a higher end SKU of the same product range.

Damn right, its not quite as bad as Nvidia.

Associate
As i understand the new mid to high card replacing the 4870 it is 27% faster then the old one so thats quite an increase. How much faster then older versions were the nvidia rehashes 8800gt to 9800gt for instance i am guessing they were no where near 27% faster so i really don't get the anger some have with this. Also they have kept with the 4xxx naming they are not trying to con us into thinking 4xxx is 5xxx so i don't see the comparison with nvidia how some were spoilt with the 4870 lol.

Caporegime
Damn right, its not quite as bad as Nvidia.

Damn right its not, as its our team doing it ey. ;)

so i don't see the comparison with nvidia.

Nvidia changed the first number, overclocked them, stuck them back out at higher prices.

ATi are changing the 3rd number, overclocking them, and sticking them back out at higher prices.

Jesus how thick am i, your right, its not the same at all, ATi's changing the 3rd number instead of the first, how the hell did i miss that, so im just off outside to give meself a flogging, sorry all. :o

Last edited:
Associate
nvidea: 7 series replaced by the faster different architecture 8 series, 8 series replaced by well.... the near exactly the same 9 series and called a new part.... (now replaced by the faster

ati
2 series replaced by the faster different architecture 3 series, replaced by the faster better architecture 4 series. now 4 series product range expanded with a faster product, and a different product

Soldato
Have to question the wisdom of this move by ATi, as a lot of people already have a OC'd 4870 with aftermarket fan :D

Certainly 300bux seems a bit cheeky.

Back
Top Bottom