• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Caporegime
What boards are you guys using? Are these Xeons widely supported by X58 boards?

Want to replace my old W/S which has a pair of E5430's (Core 2 era quad cores @ 2.66)

e; WHAT?! What the hell has happened to X58 motherboard prices?! :eek:

Wish I'd kept my Rampage II now :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Not all X58 boards support Westmere. It's literally down to the board manu. I would hazard a guess that the bioses that do support them were made by the Bios coding team who were obviously playing with samples.

But do make sure you do your homework. DFI boards are one that is known not to support Westmere, even though they added support for the Gulftown. Looks like a deliberate lock out.

Gigabyte and Asus are pretty good tbh. I got my ES to work in a Dell board so I was well pleased about that, but it's literally pot luck. Try putting your board model into a search engine with Xeon Westmere or something to get it confirmed.

Also beware of the latest bioses. Just find yourself some one who is running it already and ask what bios they are using.

MPJ88. I highly doubt that you'll find a reasonably priced GENE III. The Asus' tend to really hold their value and right now prices are high. X58 can clock, and the Westmeres are cheap.

there are currently x5570 for sale at £55? Worth a punt as an upgrade for my CPU in sig?

5570 is a quad core mate.

http://ark.intel.com/products/37111/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5570-8M-Cache-2_93-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

As I said above, do make sure you do your research.... You want a hex.

Soldato
Not sure whether to do this or not my self, is it worth throwing more cash into an old system?

How would a 5650 @ 4ghz (i assume max average oc?) compare with the newest cpu's for gaming?

They normally clock much higher than 4ghz mate.

More like 4.4-4.6ghz and beyond as that cpu your talking about has a higher multi. :D

Check this thread out:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820772

Soldato
They normally clock much higher than 4ghz mate.

More like 4.4-4.6ghz and beyond as that cpu your talking about has a higher multi. :D

Check this thread out:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1820772

Maybe i'll pick one up then, my 920 won't go higher than 3.6ghz-3.7ghz. Not sure i'll be guaranteed a good clocker though, but if the majority of them can get 4.2ghz or so that would be good enough for me. Would i need any bios update on my board? Don't think i ever updated it from when i first got it.

Soldato
If you have a board it's definitely worth upgrading the cpu at that price imho....at least till broadwell :D

and yeh, update the bios first. 2209 is the latest one for the P6T deluxe and the notes say added new cpu support.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 5650 is my daily computer now which I also game on. It's replaced my 4770k which I've moved on. My firestrike benches are above, for me personally there's been no gaming downside to using the 5650 over the 4770k.

Soldato
I'm going to check tomorrow, but I'm sure the server at work runs dual 5650s. Could always swap one out and check it's clocking potential :p

Dash, only 5620s :(

5620.jpg

Associate
OP
Finally off nights gents :D

I'm going to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of my 5650 today. Must say, these maximus boards are wonderful to overclock with.

Still at 4.3 with a 20x multiplier to stop the turbo kicking in and clocking all cores down. It feels so snappy, I'm seeing better crossfire usage too.

I'll run the benchies mentioned in the second post at 4.3 before I play about, gives us all chance to compare these chips to newer stuff.

Back
Top Bottom