• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14700k getting too hot?

Associate
I noticed the other night that my 14700k is getting up to just shy of 90c when processing and encoding video. Theres a lot of videos and advice out there to undervolt to get temps down but Im kind of reluctant as Im very new to pc’s and theres probably a high risk of me cocking something up.

I havent checked temps while gaming and have only played warzone on it so far but Im not sure my fps is where it should be at (might be due to my ram speed?) so im also wary about losing performance and fps by undervolting. Idle temps are fine, 31-33 but Im just wondering what that 90c will be in the summer time.

Should I even be concerned by 90 and would you advise undervolting?

Last edited:
Soldato
If the process and decoding of video is making it hit 90c but you are 30s when idle, this just sounds like the CPU is using all its thermal limits to maximise its speed across all cores at the same time. As long as it isn't throttling at those temps then it should be fine and you will likely see temps in the 60s or maybe 70s when gaming I reckon, as games are definitely not as CPU intensive as something like video encoding.

Man of Honour
Can you give us a screenshot from a monitoring program like hwmonitor or hwinfo so that we know what the power draw is like.

In short: if your CPU is hitting max turbo, then 90 C is not unusual (especially on air), though it depends on the cooling that you have.

I'd suggest turning off any automatic overclocking that the motherboard enables by default, see here:

Associate
OP
Can you give us a screenshot from a monitoring program like hwmonitor or hwinfo so that we know what the power draw is like.

In short: if your CPU is hitting max turbo, then 90 C is not unusual (especially on air), though it depends on the cooling that you have.

I'd suggest turning off any automatic overclocking that the motherboard enables by default, see here:

Its being cooled with a 360 aio, which is another reason that I though it might be too hot.

Im not sure that Ill get time today but Ill post a screenshot of hwmonitor when I get a chance.

Man of Honour
90 is fine - they throttle at 100C but there is also an official 115C setting. Though mine doesn't usually hit 90C doing video encoding using an older air cooler running the fans in silent mode.

Associate
OP
Well I just did everything the same as I did the other night except for Ive now got the aio radiator fans and exhaust fan set to hit full speed when the cpu gets to 60C.

The temperature seemed much better this time. It briefly touched 85C but mainly sat between 70 and 80. It was mainly at 85-89 before.

6a1QkwX.png

Soldato
Its being cooled with a 360 aio, which is another reason that I though it might be too hot.

Im not sure that Ill get time today but Ill post a screenshot of hwmonitor when I get a chance.

That might point to some other issue. A 360mm rad should be good for many hundreds of watts of heat dissipation. What position is the AIO fitted?

Man of Honour
Well I just did everything the same as I did the other night except for Ive now got the aio radiator fans and exhaust fan set to hit full speed when the cpu gets to 60C.

The temperature seemed much better this time. It briefly touched 85C but mainly sat between 70 and 80. It was mainly at 85-89 before.
220 watts of heat is still quite a bit, so I'm inclined to say you're fine, though may be worth checking those settings in the video I linked.

Associate
OP
So if there is any automatic overclocking enabled and I disable it, will I get any loss in performance? If so, then Im kind of inclined to leave it enabled as these temps dont seem to be too problematic.

One thing that I did wonder about is the aio pump. I see lots of comments from people about their aio pump being noisy but mines completely silent and Ive got it running at full speed all of the time. That said, it must be working otherwise Im guessing the temperature would head straight to 100.

Soldato
So if there is any automatic overclocking enabled and I disable it, will I get any loss in performance? If so, then Im kind of inclined to leave it enabled as these temps dont seem to be too problematic.

One thing that I did wonder about is the aio pump. I see lots of comments from people about their aio pump being noisy but mines completely silent and Ive got it running at full speed all of the time. That said, it must be working otherwise Im guessing the temperature would head straight to 100.

The loop would get super hot.

Man of Honour
Not likely to be anything meaningful, most people undervolt or power limit these CPUs nowadays and I'd rather use the settings Intel intended than an overclock I wasn't even asked if I wanted to run.

Soldato
The 14th gen chips seem to want to hit high temps and max performance, My mobo has the enhanced settings with a 90c limit, but I had more luck setting the TDP in BIOS. I use a max 125W for 60secs, but 65w long term. Saves a lot of power and keeps temps nice and low.

Man of Honour
14700K can be hot and even 360 AIO sometimes struggles to keep it cool. 90C under full load is quite a normal temp for this chip.

To be fair aside from extreme multi-threaded workloads/synthetic stress tests mine even with a Dark Rock Pro 4 with fans configured for quiet generally stays under 70, even when gaming.

Soldato
Mad to think a **700 series chip can put a 360 AIO cooler to the sword.

In your screen shot you've got fans (aio I presume) only hitting 800-900 RPM. Have you got the fan all in the right mobo headers? Have you any fan curve set up in the BIOS? Do you have the fan headers in a splitter cable or how are they plugged into the mobo?

1.38V in the CPU is quite high too, might be the boosting doing that though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom