• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14700k getting too hot?

Soldato
By default my Gigabyte motherboard would have both power limits set to unlimited. I reduced those to 253w, the max for the 14700k.
Also I added an 0.07v negative offset to the vcore.
The cores seem to boost to where they are needed and the 420mm AIO seems fine.

The power limits should be set at the CPU's maximum by default, but it seems that often does not happen.

Then again I am not typically using an all core sustained full load on the CPU for extended periods.

The max vcore on that screen would suggest that you are at defaults.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Mad to think a **700 series chip can put a 360 AIO cooler to the sword.

In your screen shot you've got fans (aio I presume) only hitting 800-900 RPM. Have you got the fan all in the right mobo headers? Have you any fan curve set up in the BIOS? Do you have the fan headers in a splitter cable or how are they plugged into the mobo?

1.38V in the CPU is quite high too, might be the boosting doing that though.
Ive now got the aio fans and exhaust set to hit full speed when cpu temp gets to 60c. The temperature is now under control, the noise is no joke though.

By default my Gigabyte motherboard would have both power limits set to unlimited. I reduced those to 253w, the max for the 14700k.
Also I added an 0.07v negative offset to the vcore.
The cores seem to boost to where they are needed and the 420mm AIO seems fine.

The power limits should be set at the CPU's maximum by default, but it seems that often does not happen.

Then again I am not typically using an all core sustained full load on the CPU for extended periods.

The max vcore on that screen would suggest that you are at defaults.

I looked into undervolting it but ive got a b760 and apparently b boards aren't meant to be undervolted and can only be done by changing back to the old microde. Ive read that it can cause instability so I think ill put up with the noise from the fans for now as Im a pc newb and dont want to cause any issues that I cant fix.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting about the "B" type boards. A reason for me to be wary of other types, from what I would call more enthusiast ones.
Sad really, noting the vcore voltage that seems to be used by default.
Even the offset I noted does seem to make a difference.

Does that also apply to the power limits..? I assume they could be unlimited. Again that made a difference.

If I would run, just to check, R23 I now see my CPU is limited due to those power limits and not due to thermal loading. That does make for easier cooling. Not easy, at times, but easier.....

Associate
OP
Well Ive just had a go at undervolting and overclocking my 7800 xt. It seems to have gone quite well as Ive got a descent score but was wondering if cpu data is ok.

I Used timespy and during the cpu test I got these numbers:

CPU VCORE 1.476V
Package 92C
Package 266.84W
P-Cores 5487-5586MHz
E-Cores 4290MHz

Im not sure how intensive the timespy cpu test is but Im guessing that the voltage is going too high?

Associate
OP
Ive just run cinebench for the first time. The temperature briefly spiked to 96C but that was only for a second or two.

The p-cores only briefly rose to what the max shows. They spent most of the time at about 5100-5200MHz. Is that normal? Should they not be at 5500-5600MHz?

Soldato
Ive just run cinebench for the first time. The temperature briefly spiked to 96C but that was only for a second or two.

The p-cores only briefly rose to what the max shows. They spent most of the time at about 5100-5200MHz. Is that normal? Should they not be at 5500-5600MHz?

if your clock clocks were at 5.5-5.6ghz your temps would likley be around the 100c mark, voltages would have to be increased a fair bit to get those kind of clocks, out of box settings would allow this but at the cost of very high temps.

Man of Honour
There's a few things you might want to be aware of: CPU benchmarks aren't always @ 100% workload all the time and if they use AVX the turbo boost can be lower, depending on the offset.

Associate
OP
if your clock clocks were at 5.5-5.6ghz your temps would likley be around the 100c mark, voltages would have to be increased a fair bit to get those kind of clocks, out of box settings would allow this but at the cost of very high temps.

There's a few things you might want to be aware of: CPU benchmarks aren't always @ 100% workload all the time and if they use AVX the turbo boost can be lower, depending on the offset.

Ok so in regard to my temperatures (95C timespy, 96C cinebench), do you guys think that I need to pursue undervolting the cpu? My motherboard doesnt support it without changing the microde which can cause a lot of problems in some cases, so Im not sure if its worth trying?

Man of Honour
Ok so in regard to my temperatures (95C timespy, 96C cinebench), do you guys think that I need to pursue undervolting the cpu? My motherboard doesnt support it without changing the microde which can cause a lot of problems in some cases, so Im not sure if its worth trying?
What are your temps in the kind of things that you do normally with the PC?

Associate
OP
Did you set the power limits and check the automatic overclocks in the video I linked?

I didnt set power limits as I was concerned about loss in performance. I did look into disabling the automatic overclocks but my bios is different to the one in the video, he did say what to change in the gigabyte bios but mine doesnt have the options that he mentioned so I couldnt identify the right ones.

Soldato
You would be setting the max power limits to the CPU set by Intel.
As you would struggle to reduce the vcore voltage, that seemed high, it could be your only limiting option.
It is these types of motherboards that are having unlimited power limits by default that are the issue.

Man of Honour
I didnt set power limits as I was concerned about loss in performance.
You do lose some performance, but it really needs to be done to get the power usage and temperatures under control. Most of these CPUs are very effective when they're power limited, even 125 watts loses very little performance in the majority of apps.

he did say what to change in the gigabyte bios but mine doesnt have the options that he mentioned so I couldnt identify the right ones.
You could take some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom