• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Associate
Just installed it, it's like reverting back to a crappy 13900k, I got an SP of 101 with crap VID table, this is nothing more than an average 13900KS at best. My 13900KS is 10x better. This won't even hold 5900 all core under load. VIDs on stock are hovering at 1.44 on default, and light loads over 1.54. Think I'll just pass on the 14900KS and stick with my 13900KS which is rock solid at 8600 CL36 and 58 all core 4.6 Core. Ram errors on this at 8600 which my 13900KS runs fine. God damn hate CPUS lol

Associate
I have tested with a G.Skill 7800 (A-Die) / G.Skill 8200 (M-Die) / G.Skill 8400 (M-Die) kits.

I normally see the 8200/8400 kits seem to crash booting into Windows, the 7800 did boot into Windows but as soon as running a memory test like Karhu / VST etc.... Windows Hard Locks, also note the reset button doesn't work when this happens as well. That behaviour normally goes hand in hand with memory issues. Then if you reduce the SA voltage to 1.24 on 8200/8400 kits it boots into Windows but then hard locks at random or when performing a memory test.

On all 3 RAM kits, one had a working SA voltage of 1.18 and the other had a working SA voltage of 1.1 but then 7800+ wasn't stable with the IMC. It's been a while but I think even DDR5 6000 sets an SA around 1.2 from memory.

For me with my testing setting the SA at 1.25 or more on those two CPU's caused them to hard lock and the reset button not to work.

So to answer your question directly, no I don't believe it's just on high RAM speeds.

Perfect , thanks for the detailed answer :cool:

As i have now got the 14900KS back in am able to test it and have Ram set to XMP 7200Mhz with an SA voltage of 1.3 Auto set by Bios and have run Karhu for 30mins with not a single error or crash and VCCSA remains at 1.296v during runs so can say that is fine and no SA bug ?

Associate
Just installed it, it's like reverting back to a crappy 13900k, I got an SP of 101 with crap VID table, this is nothing more than an average 13900KS at best. My 13900KS is 10x better. This won't even hold 5900 all core under load. VIDs on stock are hovering at 1.44 on default, and light loads over 1.54. Think I'll just pass on the 14900KS and stick with my 13900KS which is rock solid at 8600 CL36 and 58 all core 4.6 Core. Ram errors on this at 8600 which my 13900KS runs fine. God damn hate CPUS lol
Oh mate sorry to see that:mad: , it really is a **** show and Intel should be doing a much better job of binning them .... unfortunately i have seen many many more low SP than high over on OCN . Best bet is to return that and try again , if possible buy as many as you can until you get a good one ... as mentioned i bought 2 straight away and just got lucky the 2nd one i put in was a keeper . I was more than prepared to keep returning them if needed as Intel should be doing a much better job in the first place !

Oh and just to make it worse the current bios we have on asus board are a joke for the KS , if you have a low SP then Bios 2002 isn't even stable and crashes in loads of benchmarks with Bios 2102 ramming a ton of voltage through it to try stabilize it but that makes them run stupidly hot :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Perfect , thanks for the detailed answer :cool:

As i have now got the 14900KS back in am able to test it and have Ram set to XMP 7200Mhz with an SA voltage of 1.3 Auto set by Bios and have run Karhu for 30mins with not a single error or crash and VCCSA remains at 1.296v during runs so can say that is fine and no SA bug ?

Sounds like you should be good to go with that one.

Soldato
Has there been more progress with this whole crashing issue? Im contemplating upgrade and this has thrown me off a fair bit.. Seems only Unreal Engine games though, or is that not correct?

If you have an Asus board, update the Bios and reset the Bios to default. The BIOS will now default to Intel's recommended CPU settings

Cinebench R24 score for a 14900k is 12% lower than before but now the CPU no longer crashes.

Epic's Tim Sweeney is happy with the news that Intel CPUs can run unreal engine games again

Hopefully Intel has learned its lesson the hard way and from now on they block mobo makers from overclocking their CPUs out of the box

Last edited:
Associate
If you have an Asus board, update the Bios and reset the Bios to default. The BIOS will now default to Intel's recommended CPU settings

Cinebench R24 score for a 14900k is 12% lower than before but now the CPU no longer crashes.

Epic's Tim Sweeney is happy with the news that Intel CPUs can run unreal engine games again

Hopefully Intel has learned its lesson the hard way and from now on they block mobo makers from overclocking their CPUs out of the box

Thanks a lot! I do have Asus mobo so that will come handy once I upgrade

Associate
Bios 2002 vs 2202 on the KS

Lovely increase in core voltage, power draw and heat .... :rolleyes: :mad:

Back to 2002 i go :cry:

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-20-12-51-50-72.png

2202 ( 2102 identical )

Desktop-Screenshot-2024-04-20-02-30-45-52.png

Last edited:
Associate
Wonder how it affects the other 13th and 14th gen and how they stack up with the 14900 now. Think I made a good decision on the 14700 over 14900 maybe.
It will be interesting to see, the SKUs below the **900 series don't seem to have been affected to the same degree, perhaps because they weren't pushed so hard as the outright performance crown wasn't within reach?

Man of Honour
Messing around with the AI feature in XTU I'm wondering if Intel is intentionally preventing it from advising similar clocks to the 14900(KS) - my chip is definitely capable of the same base turbo clock profile i.e. 6.2GHz 2 core, etc. though it would need better cooling than I have to run that normally.

Last edited:
Soldato

And yet the new baseline profile turns out not actually to be fully stock, Asus is still raising one of the power limits:

I'm tired of these motherboard manufacturers using tricks to try to overclock without the user's knowledge so they look better in reviews. I want at least the option to run fully stock.

Although AMD make the above harder the motherboard makers tried something similar by misreporting the amount of power used in order to trick the CPU into boosting higher for longer. Thankfully HWInfo exposed this behaviour and let us know when they were doing it.

Last edited:
Associate
Sometimes the loss is over 12% (Y-Cruncher) which is crazy:
m3JpXZv.png

That's the worst one, and some things like Control are margins of error:
F2BEMU7.png

But even some games like Starfield are around 8%.
ufmsVdC.png

Good new on power though:
1WnCDzV.png

A lot of finger pointing and while Asus have form for stock = overclock to win benchmarks going back decades, I put most of the blame on Intel. Not only for making easy for motherboard manufacturers to "cheat", but because Intel know quite well that losing ~10% in Cinebench MT would make their CPUs look far worse.

EDIT: let's see which websites are afraid of offending Intel and don't want to cover this.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
Hey the way I'm looking at it is my 13600K just got abit better in comparison. ;)

My MSI z690-A board seems fine when you first set up the bios it asks what cooling profile to use and the watercooling profile will pretty much set unlimited power levels so are other boards using something simillar by default and causing issues.

If ones overclock/"stock" setting is not causing issues then theres no need for this baseline profile.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
This is confusing so correct if I'm wrong but the Buildziod video makes it easier to understand as some 13900K(S)/14900K(S) are crashing under some heavy all core workloads Cinebench, Unreal, Shader compilation etc due to the removal of power/temp limits of some motherboards is causing some CPU's to be unstable as it cant maintain enough voltage.

Again correct if wrong is that a VID table unique to each Intel processor that sets a stable default voltage at certain frequencys and if its a bad bin or its not validated properly when power/temp limits are removed at heavy all core workloads is causing it to crash.

I did think about this while watching the video but this comment from the video comments sums it up as this may also explain why some people have got some very poor 13900K/14900K KS bins.
So basically these CPUs are not 14900K/13900K but actually 14850K, 13850K. If I'm not mistaken, intel used to label unstable-at-900K-specs CPUs as 850K

Last edited:
Soldato
This is confusing so correct if I'm wrong but the Buildziod video makes it easier to understand as some 13900K(S)/14900K(S) are crashing under some heavy all core workloads Cinebench, Unreal, Shader compilation etc due to the removal of power/temp limits of some motherboards is causing some CPU's to be unstable as it cant maintain enough voltage.

Again correct if wrong is that a VID table unique to each Intel processor that sets a stable default voltage at certain frequencys and if its a bad bin or its not validated properly when power/temp limits are removed at heavy all core workloads is causing it to crash.

I did think about this while watching the video but this comment from the video comments sums it up as this may also explain why some people have got some very poor 13900K/14900K KS bins.

That's why they need to be RMA'd

Man of Honour
That's why they need to be RMA'd

I dunno - I think the CPUs meet Intel's spec but have too little overhead to be stable with the motherboard settings, especially some of the boards which are a bit more slapdash with enhancements implementation.

Interestingly on my 14700K the AI Assist actually recommends bumping power limit substantially :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom