• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

14th Gen "Raptor Lake Refresh"

Soldato
Soldato
seen gigabyte's baseline profiles, turns a core i9 to a i7 :eek:

Very nice

Caporegime
seen gigabyte's baseline profiles, turns a core i9 to a i7 :eek:

1SZUyzO.png

If this is how these CPU's are supposed to be run all the reviews are wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
1SZUyzO.png

If this is how these CPU's are supposed to be run all the reviews are wrong.

There have been calls from users unofficially to re-run all tests on 13/14th gen, wonder if reviewers will dive back in and see real world performance is at baseline profiles, cinebench is a blood bath for intel, though games do look to be lower the drop isn't as bad, if you game at 1440p or 4k the speed drop will be negligible.

Caporegime
There have been calls from users unofficially to re-run all tests on 13/14th gen, wonder if reviewers will dive back in and see real world performance is at baseline profiles, cinebench is a blood bath for intel, though games do look to be lower the drop isn't as bad, if you game at 1440p or 4k the speed drop will be negligible.

If they aren't actually meant to be run like this in these reviews, nor actually retail stable............

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's because games generally don't draw as much power so the performance reduction is 5% or less for the most part.

I'd like to see everything retested though, but doubt anyone can be bothered this late in the game.

Man of Honour
That's because games generally don't draw as much power so the performance reduction is 5% or less for the most part.

I'd like to see everything retested though, but doubt anyone can be bothered this late in the game.

I rarely see more than ~150 watt draw from my 14700K while gaming with a 4080 Super at 1440p. No one seems to have really looked at what the impact is on the CPUs sub i9 yet.

Soldato
The whole reason the baseline was introduced was because i9's in particular were facing crashing issues in games, reducing core ratios seemed to help, then falcon North west had a guide to tune i9's to stop crashing, soon after asus released baseline profiles, and now gigabyte are doing the same.

I7's were never brought up as having issues as above they use a fair bit less power.

Man of Honour
The whole reason the baseline was introduced was because i9's in particular were facing crashing issues in games, reducing core ratios seemed to help, then falcon North west had a guide to tune i9's to stop crashing, soon after asus released baseline profiles, and now gigabyte are doing the same.

I7's were never brought up as having issues as above they use a fair bit less power.

There have been some smaller number of reports of supposedly the same issue with lower tier 13th and 14th gen but I don't know if they are actually the same issue - the motherboard vendor BIOS optimisations for these CPUs are also running without the power limits, etc. of the Intel specs, but whether that is generally a problem seems vague at the moment.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
There have been some smaller number of reports of supposedly the same issue with lower tier 13th and 14th gen but I don't know if they are actually the same issue - the motherboard vendor BIOS optimisations for these CPUs are also running without the power limits, etc. of the Intel specs, but whether that is generally a problem seems vague at the moment.
Some of the issues are potentially related to the VIDs, as these are factory-fused values. I had an 14900KS with a VID issue, as it would just lock going to full boost, even if you revert the SVID to the "Intel Fail Safe" up to a point you can work around those issues. However, those are X batch CPUs out of Vietnam I've not seen any other reports on other batchs.

That's what I have found from testing a number of these KS's now but most have been fine.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I doubt whole system power consumption is hugely different once you add in the rest of components.
It's not more so when used with a 7900XTX it's about the same or more.

As an example on the COD benchmark I can pull 808 Watts on a 7950X3D & 7900XTX but less on a 14900K and 4090 at the same part in the benchmark in terms of peak power on a power meter measuring at the wall.

Soldato
You have a aib card which will draw significantly more power under load, my MBA 7900xtx with a tuned 7950x pulls around 580w total sustained, granted peak power is more as the MBA alone can hit 520w but that's for a second or 2, my CPU hovers around 90-130w, as for the GPU that is out of box 349w.

Associate
Here we go:

nEfLakJ.jpg
Sweet setup! I just got done with stabilizing 5.9 all core 6.2 boost on my 94sp 14900K. Replicated a 14900KS. Not a great bin apparently but the cores seem decent.

Thinking of making the final push towards 6.0 all core. Temps are pretty good but the voltage is getting up there now! Still only 1.4ish under load though with an adaptive voltage.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You have a aib card which will draw significantly more power under load, my MBA 7900xtx with a tuned 7950x pulls around 580w total sustained, granted peak power is more as the MBA alone can hit 520w but that's for a second or 2, my CPU hovers around 90-130w, as for the GPU that is out of box 349w.
He's using a 550W BIOS I believe, stock XTX MBA is 350W.

Back
Top Bottom