• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 Boot Problem

Soldato
i have also seen a lot of issues concerning the 5850, is it the case of older boards and cpu's are having problems as i have noticed its usually older hardware the OP usually have

Associate
OP
edit: not fixed :(

How easy is to get a refund back (not from OC) ive got all the packaging etc

Last edited:
Associate
Good evening, knowledgeable ladies & gentlemen (and miscellaneous other) of the forum.

My shiny new Saphhire HD5850 turned up today, which is great, but I can't quite seem to get it to work, which is not so great.

Before I RMA it I thought I'd ask you graphics worldly people if you can see if there is anything I've missed before I embarrass myself with returning a working card.

Brief PC specs:
PSU: Corsair TX650W
MB: Asus P5N-E SLI (Bios v1301)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo ([email protected])
Mem: 4GB

Problem description:
No POST. No beeps. Power is running through everything (lights on cards & MB light up as expected), all fans kick into life. But no sound and no output

Same problem with the corsair 650 that has 50+amp so i dont think this is a psu issue at all.

Associate
Yeah, I have same issue with a 750W TT ToughPower with 60A on the 12v rail, so I'd be very surprised if it's that.

But like hyperst says, it does seem to be people with old(er) hardware that are having this issue (I'm running a e6420 on a ASUS p5n-e)

Associate
my hardware not that old, gigabyte m720 -us3, corsair dominator 8500 1066mhz, 600 watt ocz powersupply, amd pheny x2 550

Associate
<previous quote removed>
Same problem with the corsair 650 that has 50+amp so i dont think this is a psu issue at all.

Well, in my case it was due to my motherboard having an issue with the card. The 5850 I had was sent off for testing and was found to be working OK. However, the OP is having different symptoms and has a different setup to me.

Doesn't mean you aren't right though :)
We could do with a list of motherboards that are having problems with the new 5850 and 5870s. And will the next round of Nvidia ones (whenever they actually turn up) have the same problem I wonder.

Associate
Well, in my case it was due to my motherboard having an issue with the card. The 5850 I had was sent off for testing and was found to be working OK. However, the OP is having different symptoms and has a different setup to me.

Doesn't mean you aren't right though :)
We could do with a list of motherboards that are having problems with the new 5850 and 5870s. And will the next round of Nvidia ones (whenever they actually turn up) have the same problem I wonder.

ok ill start a new thread see if we can find something in common

Soldato
mine has been pretty good to me, class overclocker, just the odd problem in windows likely to be the drivers im using.

if your getting no post at all it would normally indicate weak psu. if your certain its not that, can you try the card in another system to rule out anything at your end? if not it may be a dud one, rma'ing and getting another and you still get the same problems, most surely mean the problem is with your pc.

you should send it to OC and they can test it at there end.

also what cpu's are using?

Soldato
its hit and miss really, make sure your pc can run them and hope you dont get a duff one.

Ive had the core clock up to 1050mhz and the memory at 1250mhz!!!

hit and miss as i say.

Associate
OP
I think like you said its just hit and miss, i cant believe all these cards dont work due to the motherboard (I looked in the thread started listing everyone's spec that has a problem with a 5850 and everyone has a differant mobo)

Im getting a mate to test mine since he allready has a 5850 that works

Permabanned
TBH I think you may be right reguarding the Power Supply, 400W PS is cutting it fine for these new cards. I would definately upgrade it first before sending back what may be an ok card.

It's not the wattage, it's the amps that's an issue, a 5870 PC with an i7, 6GB RAM and the standard HDD/ODD set up uses less than 300w loaded.

Associate
I have exactly same problem.

I also have a P5N-E-Sli motherboard.

I have a 850W HIPER power supply so me thinks its not the PSU and more towards the motherboard and/or card issue.

When my computer decides to boot (usually after a minute, I get post) then it works like a gem!

Back
Top Bottom