• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 Pack looks at R290X

Soldato
As much as I agree on the context, I find it funny that when Nvidia is ahead in the sympathetic bench, people would happily use those results for showing how much "better" they are than AMD's offering; and when AMD does better, then it's "all about real-world benchmarks". Double-standard much?

well to be fair games is what counts.
For myself benchmarking the way they do it is a sport that has its own merit but I look at games and those I play for comparison.
just fun to watch 290x beat Nvidia everywhere tho

OcUK Staff
OP
You can get those off a million reviewers!!! I am talking about benching and scaling for benching. All these tests show its gonna be a strong card in games.

These benchmarks are designed to show differences in cards to within one point so I believe it a good indicator.

Games do not count one bit to me I can conclude any card I bench with will play the games no problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
well to be fair games is what counts.
For myself benchmarking the way they do it is a sport that has its own merit but I look at games and those I play for comparison.
just fun to watch 290x beat Nvidia everywhere tho
Suarez7 would disagree because Linus didn't say so :p

Edited: lol guess I posted too late.
another false statement from you.

When does flopper get his AMD STAFF badge for his avatar?

Permabanned
Suarez7 would disagree because Linus didn't say so :p

Actually at the most played resolution, 1080p the 290x doesn't win in all games, therefore it doesn't beat it everywhere. Even humbug agreed on that in another thread, the best thing about the 290x though is its price/performance. nvidia simply can't compete on that front.

Soldato
Actually at the most played resolution, 1080p the 290x doesn't win in all games, therefore it doesn't beat it everywhere. Even humbug agreed on that in another thread, the best thing about the 290x though is it's price/performance. nvidia simply can't compete on that front.
Honestly though, I don't care who win who lose Nvidia or AMD when the difference in margin is so small. I just want to see graphic cards at sanity level pricing again. If 780 was same price as the 290x, I might actually consider getting that for the sake of batman smoke, even if it does mean at the cost of much lower memory bandwidth.

Permabanned
Its not looking likely. :(

I really want to get one just to beat Broomsticks 780 though. :D (although im not sure mine will be able to maintain 60 fps in all situations)

That won't happen mate he'll hit 1400mhz on air, install a new wonder driver and score 16000 on 3dmark 11 :D

Soldato
another false statement from you.

all world records will soon be held by the 290x in benchmarking.
8 pack have work to do there.
when that happens what to say?
8 pack for president/King?

Once mantle is out with BF4, no review site will review Nvidia cards in BF4 vs Mantle or Nvidia will sue them....
and the badge, I do hope it comes in red and gold with diamonds on the side.

I make no excuse that I am pro amd but I dont buy a 7990 just beacuse its the fastest card in the world, I buy a 290 due to the value with performance. same reason I own a 7970 bought at 320euro over a year ago.

Permabanned
all world records will soon be held by the 290x in benchmarking.
8 pack have work to do there.
when that happens what to say?
8 pack for president/King?

You're looking at the extreme end of the scale, for the majority of gamers at 1080p it doesn't beat nvidia at everything.

Therefore as I said my point still stands, false statements from you.

Nothing wrong with being biased, but intentionally misinforming people is daft.

Back
Top Bottom