• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Aftermarket Cooler For 4850

Associate
@ nib95

Thats because witchcraft goes on inside the Vortexx Neo. Or it could be down to excellent design and engineering. Prolly the latter but I hope for the former. :D

Well Azza, I like your review of the cooler and have faith in your judgement. I've gone ahead and ordered the Vortexx Neo along with some Zalman heatsinks for the VRMs. And some MX-2 compound for the actual cooler.

Hope it works as well as you say it does! :D

Main thing that swung it for me was that A.) It's cheaper than the Zalman, B.) It covers more of the card, with the Zalman, I fear the VRM's won't get as much loving, C.) It drives hot air away from the inside of your case and D.) In your tests at least, it performed better than the VF1000 did.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hmm...

I'm just baffled by that to be honest. Especially seeing as how in reality, the Vortexx Neo is essentially the same in design as the stock cooler. Actually, I'd say the stock cooler actually has a better heatsink design (it also has a larger area of copper for the base). So it really must be mainly due to the fan and/or constricting plastic base.

You posted the pic of a 4870 heatsink, not 4850 ;)

Not sure about the 4870 but people have reported the 4850 heatsink is aluminium painted to look copper :(

That might explain how the neo does better if that has a copper heatsink.

Permabanned
You posted the pic of a 4870 heatsink, not 4850 ;)

Not sure about the 4870 but people have reported the 4850 heatsink is aluminium painted to look copper :(

That might explain how the neo does better if that has a copper heatsink.

It appears that most 4850s (mine's a powercolor) come with aluminium heatsinks painted to look like copper.

Though they do have a chunk of copper on the base that makes contact with the die.

I think the copper chunk is a vapor chamber, like the ones used on sapphire 3870 toxics.

Associate
OP
Well I've opted for the Neo and some Zalman sinks for anything that the stock cooler covers that the Akasa doesn't.

With the stock cooler I'm getting 80C idle and 90C or so load. the fan profile thing is fine, but it's too easy to forget to wind the fan up before starting a 3D app.

Looking forward to seeing how this affects things.

I was planning on using AS5...any advice on how best to apply it? I've tended to use it only on CPUs previously...

Associate
OP
Ok, thanks. Seem to recall doing that back in the day with various AMD processors.

What's under the stock heatsink for the memory chips...they use pads of some kind or AS5 on those too..?

Caporegime
Dammit!

Started unscrewing the stock cooler on my 4850, but the 4 on the main core bit are too small for even the smallest screwdriver I have :mad:

So it's inside stock right now, and idling at like 70ºC!!!

Hell, it's so hot, it actually transferred heat onto the back of my case just from where it is screwed in!

I need one of those screwdrivers for glasses :(

Caporegime
Dammit!

Started unscrewing the stock cooler on my 4850, but the 4 on the main core bit are too small for even the smallest screwdriver I have :mad:

So it's inside stock right now, and idling at like 70ºC!!!

Hell, it's so hot, it actually transferred heat onto the back of my case just from where it is screwed in!

I need one of those screwdrivers for glasses :(

I've got one over here!

Only problem is I will be using it tomorrow to put my 4870 under water :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Hopefully my Vortexx's arrive tommorrow.

Out of curiousity on the 4870 is their easy way to change the fan tables so the fan speeds up earlier. I know some people over on Xtremesystems temporarily caused their cards to stop functioning by flashing a bios to do just this. But the utility they were using was not fully compatible with ddr5. Just wondering is there an easy way to do manual fan speed control with some utility. So far the only thing I have found is this which lets you create manual profiles.
http://www.nntp.it/comp-hardware-video-3d/1299814-hd4850-4870-fan-fix.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye thats true but fitting fans can be fun, check this out. . .

'HeliMod' Accelero S1

x1950xtmodded16aw1.jpg

x1950xtmodded13aj6.jpg

Got the idea off some Texan bloke and it seems to work great, very similar to the standard Turbo Module but Ghetto fashion!

That's using an old Akasa Amber 92mm, tempted to HeliMod a 120mm fan to see if it offers even better cooling? but to be honest the 92mm diameter seems about right, great cooling and very quiet! :cool:

going to have to do this for my top 4850 at least, removing the casing will just give it the spacing needed as it's about 1mm too narrow to fit both cards even on my Maximus which has 2 pci-e slots between the main 16x slots.

but the Accelero cools great, with a 1200mm YateLoon SL12 strapped to it and clocks of 730/1000 1.2v core it loads around low 40's :D

Soldato
Cool marscay, would be interesting to see what you come up with!

Been thinking if a 120mm fan would be much better than a 92mm? I mean it's not as if the Accelero needs a shed load of cooling? well not the GPU anyway but the memory and VRMs would benefit right?

I think I went with the 92mm Akasa because thats all I had spare! Chopped it with a hacksaw, sanded the cuts, stuck the fan to the desk and tested it, braided the cable and used just two yellow cable ties to secure it, I was quite suprised it all came together quite easiliy (beginners luck I think!).

x1950xtmodding44eok1.jpg

x1950xtmodding57evv0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom