• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Aftermarket Cooler For 4850

Soldato
looks good wayne, what kinds of temps/clocks are you getting with the 92mm? - tbh i dont think theres going to be a great deal of difference between 92/120 mm but as you say the spread is a little wider obviously.

at the moment i've got it as below and the temps only rise a few degress, such an efficient cooler ...the only caveat is that the ram gets no decent airflow this way so i'll do the 'Heli' :p

post some more pics when i'm done (where's that dremel :D)

Soldato
4850 Crossfire with Accelero S1 + 120mm can be done

performed the 120mm Heli-mod on the top S1 and it clears the card below by about 2-3mm :p

both cards are loading around 50c @ 790/1050 with 1.3v pencil mod to both cards.....pretty good temps considering the space and clocks ...S1 is a great cooler.

unbelivable gpu power for £230 and a little messing about :D

79370975pp0.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Marscay do you have a side exhaust or anything similar, i can feel the heat radiating from my S1 even at 42*. Would like get another 4850 but im unsure about how much heat will would radiate off of two S1's :( Leaving my single 120mm fan to suck up all the heat

Associate
OP
Well I replaced my Sapphire 4850's stock cooler today with a Neo Vortex.

Idle temps are down from 80C to 46C

Load temps are down from ~90C to 78C

The good news is temps are down all round and there's no more faffing around with profiles to play with the fan speed. The Neo Vortex is quiet too.

The (somewhat) bad news is that the reduction in load temps is far smaller than I'd hoped for, although perhaps I was unrealistic? The cooler is on tight and there's a thin, even layer of AS5 on the GPU (which still has to cure I guess).

Just thought I'd post my results.

Soldato
Marscay do you have a side exhaust or anything similar, i can feel the heat radiating from my S1 even at 42*. Would like get another 4850 but im unsure about how much heat will would radiate off of two S1's :( Leaving my single 120mm fan to suck up all the heat

nico they're housed in a u2-ufo case which has 5x120mm exhausts all up, the S1's also have that 120mm yate loon to the side blowing onto them which does help quite a lot because of the restricted space i have due to 2 cards.....plus the 3x120mm radiator fans you can see to the right side also.

the S1 works well but you're right the heat still has to go somewhere, i can feel the room heat up a little when i'm benching the 4850's @ 800 that's for sure. :p

Soldato
Modded my DuOrb today: 12v -> 5v as the DuOrb is fixed at full fan speed and is kinda loud, also on a molex so couldn't connect a fan mate to it. The weird thing is my max load temps are much lower at 5v than they were at 12v which I can't understand - it's the same room temperature near enough, give or take 2 degrees.

Max load 12v: 57c
Max load 5v: 52c

Odd... anyway, very happy now, PC is back to silent mode and max load on GPU is 52c @ 5v! I can hear my hard drives again, hurray :)

Associate
Dammit, wanted to fit my Vortexx Neo today, but I was asleep when the delivery man came! Doh! :p

Have to wait till tomorrow now. Which in tech geek years is like a year!

Soldato
Thought I'd give you boys and girls a little treat. (Or at least I haven't seen any pics lying around yet.

The cooler...
dsc01156cw2.jpg

Comparison shot...
dsc01154jg0.jpg

The card...
dsc01155xe8.jpg

The two forces combined...
dsc01157ot7.jpg

Now when I had my VF900 it was way too loud to have it at full fan speed setting, so whilst on minimum it allowed the card to reach around 93oc. I've just seated the Neo and put it straight in for a heat test. Again with the fan setting on low it allows the card to fairly quickly climb to 93oc but with the fan speed set to full and still absolutely silent, it quickly drops from 93 all the way down to a steady 59oc. I couldn't believe it personally, it looks good, it runs quiet as hell and the cooling ability is amazing. When I first started it up I thought something was wrong as it wasn't pushing much air out the back but ATI CCC confirmed that the temps were just 38idle. :eek:

All I can say is that its one of the best coolers I've used and one of the cheapest. The 5minute installation was as simple as eating pie. I honestly didn't think it was going to be so big though, from other photos I was expecting it to be quite small, but no he's a big boy and I love. It's getting all 5 stars from me. :)

Associate
Thanks for posting those pics as i've been thinking about getting a 4850 and doing the same thing.

I have the Antec Fusion Black so not much headroom but from the pics i can see the Vortexx does't protrude above the 4850's pcb so should be perfect!

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom