Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Man of Honour
Ah damn that sucks, I nearly ordered it as well! I take it none of the Alienware oleds offer this?

So for future reference I need a monitor with USB-C port with DP alt mode in order to be a one stop place to plug my keyboard/mouse for use with either the pc or work laptop? As I stayed above I don't need to use both pc and laptop at the same time, while having the ease of only one cable to plug in. From my limited understanding then, if there is no KVM switch the USB connections only work with whatever is connected to the upstream? It's the KVm that allows the laptop to work when plugging into the usb-c?
you need the USB-C connection to support DP Alt mode (for video) AND power delivery of whatever your laptop requires to charge/run it. that's one feature

then the other would be a KVM switch which allows you to plug in a single keyboard and mouse to the monitor itself, and have that control two different connected systems to that screen. usually those systems would be connected to the monitor either via that USB-C, or maybe a separate USB-C data connection or a USB normal connection. some of those KVM switches even allow intelligent and auto switching etc, it's quite a common feature nowadays

Man of Honour
Mine arrived yesterday and I have just dropped it onto my desk 40 minutes ago and run a couple of HDR 4K videos.

First impressions are excellent but need to work with it come more. My first curved screen but seems to be ok so far I think.

No obvious issues so far.

Soldato
Mine arrived yesterday and I have just dropped it onto my desk 40 minutes ago and run a couple of HDR 4K videos.

First impressions are excellent but need to work with it come more. My first curved screen but seems to be ok so far I think.

No obvious issues so far.
when did you order?

Soldato
you need the USB-C connection to support DP Alt mode (for video) AND power delivery of whatever your laptop requires to charge/run it. that's one feature

then the other would be a KVM switch which allows you to plug in a single keyboard and mouse to the monitor itself, and have that control two different connected systems to that screen. usually those systems would be connected to the monitor either via that USB-C, or maybe a separate USB-C data connection or a USB normal connection. some of those KVM switches even allow intelligent and auto switching etc, it's quite a common feature nowadays
That is very helpful thank you. Do you know of any current 4k OLEDS that would facilitate this? Seems strange its not on the Dell one.

Associate
Mine has shipped early and should arrive tomorrow. Very excited. I just hope UPS can get it here in one piece.

What are the best settings to use when I get it up and running?

Last edited:
Associate
So, I have the 27” but from what I’ve seen most of the settings seem universal. I have sRGB set in creator mode and the gamma set to 2.2. I have both the brightness and contrast at the default 75. HDR on the monitor is set to Peak 1000 and turned off within Windows.

I loaded BG3 in SDR and the image was very dark. Am I missing something?

This is my first OLED and HDR panel so I’m wondering if I’m just not used to it, having used a TN panel for the last 6 years.

Associate
I'll be following the monitors unboxed burn in 'torture test' with interest, as most of my use is desktop apps as I work from home 3 days a week and I am very reticent to jump over to OLED until my concerns about burn in have been addressed or at least I'm a bit more informed about it

Soldato
So, I have the 27” but from what I’ve seen most of the settings seem universal. I have sRGB set in creator mode and the gamma set to 2.2. I have both the brightness and contrast at the default 75. HDR on the monitor is set to Peak 1000 and turned off within Windows.

I loaded BG3 in SDR and the image was very dark. Am I missing something?

This is my first OLED and HDR panel so I’m wondering if I’m just not used to it, having used a TN panel for the last 6 years.

If brightness is it 75 then it shouldn't be very dark unless it's turned down in game. Have you checked the brightness on the monitor? Default brightness in creator mode was very low line 20 or 15.

Soldato
I'm on the verge of returning mine purely because the flickering is horrendous, I had a small amount on my LG C2 but nothing on this scale to the point where it's extremely off putting. The only way I can eradicate it is to untick the option in NV control panel under gsync which is the setting around applying this monitor's settings (3rd option can't recall the name) but in doing this you lose gsync so it's no use to me, I've tried HDMI and DP using brand new cables and it's still really bad in the 3 main games I'm playing atm : WRC (latest one), F1 2023 and R6 siege, doesn't matter if HDR is on or off.

I've sent dell an email, I'll try and get a video up showing how bad it is, but I'm going to push for a refund I think and see what the Asus is like, such a shame as I love the monitor bar this issue. (Also running current firmware).

Last edited:
Associate
I have mine dialled in now. The issues I was having in BG3 were corrected in game. When you adjust the gamma with the three pictures I don't think they had OLED in mind. Once I raised it a little it was perfect. I'm now playing Forbidden West in HDR and it's just ridiculous! So beautiful. Going from my S2716DG TN panel to this just makes me giggle.

I was a little concerned before purchase that I may experience flickering but I don't have any. The panel is perfect with G-Sync turned on.

Back
Top Bottom