Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
I just need to measure up as it's gonna be a tight squeeze on my desk.

My only other thought is the fact that we are very soon going to be entering in to summer.

As my gaming pc is in a loft between the months of June 1st - Aug 31st I cannot game as the loft just get too hot.

Last year it was still 24c late Sep so really its more like late May to late Sep I cant game.

Is it worth buying something now and only using it for a month or two or just wait it out until Sep...
That'd be a no from me, you can enjoy what you have, by the time you'll be using it non stop again, the current prices may have dropped, hell even get a 2nd hand one with the 3 year cover still running and transferable.

I'd invest in some fan and ventilation system for the loft from the sounds of it.

Associate
I just need to measure up as it's gonna be a tight squeeze on my desk.

My only other thought is the fact that we are very soon going to be entering in to summer.

As my gaming pc is in a loft between the months of June 1st - Aug 31st I cannot game as the loft just get too hot.

Last year it was still 24c late Sep so really its more like late May to late Sep I cant game.

Is it worth buying something now and only using it for a month or two or just wait it out until Sep...
Sounds like you should buy a portable aircon unit rather than a monitor right now.

Associate
TN? Are people still using these. I hated them even 10-15 years ago :cry:

Big upgrade? Try huge upgrade!
They're still releasing TN monitors! Asus released a 540hz one (PG248QP) late last year and BenQ Zowie updated all of their line up recently for their XL series and they're all still TN panels.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Associate
aw3225qf do you guys know the meaning of a solid blue light? usually it was flashing white but now its solid blue unless i turn it off

Solid blue light means the monitor is on. The flashing white light means the monitor is off, in standby mode.

Unfortunately, there is no way to have, say, a solid red light for standby mode and have the power light off when the monitor is on, which is how my LG B9 TV works since you don't really want an LED light on the display while you are using it. You can turn the LED light off but that applies to when the monitor is on or off!

Last edited:
Associate
It's VRR related - so GSYNC in this case
Flickering will be worse the higher the refresh rate

I've not had the flickering that bad, only ever get it on loading screens but is GSYNC really necessary on a 240hz monitor? Genuinely interested, because GSYNC is mostly needed when your fps is between 30-80. After that tearing will become a non issue with a 240hz monitor. You won't get flicker between 40-80fps so no harm using GSYNC in those demanding games, but games that run closer to the 240fps range won't benefit from gsync anyway so may as well turn it off and lose the flicker..?

Or am I wrong? Maybe worth trying

G-SYNC is used to allow games to run up to the refresh rate of the display without screen tearing or judder.

Regardless of the refresh rate, you will still experience screen tearing at high refresh rates with V-Sync or G-SYNC turned off. And if you use V-Sync instead of G-SYNC then you will experience judder unless the framerate is exactly locked to the target refresh rate, e.g. 60 fps for 60 Hz, 120 fps for 120 Hz and 240 fps for 240 Hz. Any drops below that will manifest as judder with V-Sync enabled or screen tearing if V-Sync (and G-SYNC) are turned off.

The whole point of owning a high refresh monitor is to allow the gamer to play games up to the max refresh rate of the display, 240 fps in the case of the 32" AW3225QF and 360 fps in the case of the 27" AW2725DF. No game will ever have a perfectly locked framerate, unless you cap it really low, but this is where VRR is supposed to be useful because it syncs the monitor's refresh rate to the output of your graphics card for a smooth gaming experience at *any* refresh rate and framerate.

That's how it is supposed to work but on these displays VRR flickering is a persistent issue due to the way the panels work. The gamma shifts due to the changing electrical output to the screen, which switches near-instantly causing a flickering effect. Other display types such as IPS do not have this issue. It is mostly noticeable on game loading screens where the framerate can fluctuate wildly but I have also seen it in brighter games too, albeit it is more subtle so most may not even see it at all. And if you enable G-SYNC for Fullscreen and Windowed mode then you get to enjoy VRR flickering on the desktop wallpaper as well. It's awesome...

... except it's really not! :(

My understanding is that display manufacturers can try to reduce the flickering by having the display automatically adjust the gamma levels to compensate for VRR, at least that is my understanding. I always assumed this was done via the graphics driver and why monitors need to be certified as G-SYNC compatible by NVIDIA but clearly this isn't the case as the AW3225QF is a certified display but yet still has flickering with G-SYNC enabled. Not sure if having a hardware G-SYNC module would improve this issue. My previous ASUS PG279Q had a hardware module and G-SYNC worked flawlessly with it with absolutely zero flickering. These usually had an extra £100 to the display though and only used in a handful of monitors these days with G-SYNC compatible being the main one.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Is anyone else having this issue? I mean so bad that it bothers them? I had it little on my Alienware but it was nothing major and just on game menus. After a firmware update I don't even see it no more.

Associate
Is anyone else having this issue? I mean so bad that it bothers them? I had it little on my Alienware but it was nothing major and just on game menus. After a firmware update I don't even see it no more.
@Spikey seems to have an extreme amount of flickering even on bright content and he posted video showing it earlier on.
If mine is anywhere like that once it arrives I will be sending it back for a refund.
I have 4 oled TVs and none of them is anywhere as bad when using vrr.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Yeah mine has been horrendous, like I mentioned my C2 has some but barely noticeable. Im going to try the ASUS when that launches or see if the MSI comes into stock, most likely wait for ASUS though, will grab a cheap 1440p screen to tide me over as the C2 is on my sim rig now

Associate
@Spikey seems to have an extreme amount of flickering even on bright content and he posted video showing it earlier on.
If mine is anywhere like that once it arrives I will be sending it back for a refund.
I have 4 oled TVs and none of them is anywhere as bad when using vrr.
I think @Spikey's was definitely an issue though, it seemed worst than what you'd typically expect from OLED related VRR flicker.

Associate
Regarding the GSYNC flickering issue, I don't think NVIDA has added full support for this monitor in their driver updates yet. A batch of monitors were added in the latest driver released on the 19th March 2024 (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/horizon-forbidden-west-geforce-game-ready-driver/), but nothing for the Alienware yet.

Flickering should get better after official support in the driver has been released, although understand people not wanting to wait to see if the driver actually improves the flickering with GSYNC or not!

Soldato
Regarding the GSYNC flickering issue, I don't think NVIDA has added full support for this monitor in their driver updates yet. A batch of monitors were added in the latest driver released on the 19th March 2024 (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/horizon-forbidden-west-geforce-game-ready-driver/), but nothing for the Alienware yet.

Flickering should get better after official support in the driver has been released, although understand people not wanting to wait to see if the driver actually improves the flickering with GSYNC or not!

That's handy to know :)

Back
Top Bottom