• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

All you people buying a 1080, will you be upgrading to a 1080Ti later on?

I'm genuinely interested because obviously the 980Ti was a very popular card and once it was released you really didn't hear much from the 980 camp, was that because most people that had a 980 upgraded? I personally upgraded from a 980 but also regretted buying it originally once I saw how much better the Ti was.

There is a lot of hoopla regarding the 1080, but within 8 months it could just be a footnote like the 980 become once the Ti was released.

I know we all like the latest and greatest but all you guys clamoring for the 1080 will you be sticking with that card until next gen?

What is your GPU purchasing philosophy, price to performance? Every new GPU that hits the shelves? Every other gen?

Personally I'm sticking with the Ti line of cards now, I feel at the 'top end' they represent the best value for money, and below that I think the 1070 is the card to go for, once the 1080Ti hits the 1070 is still a very relevant card due to it's price to performance value, while the 1080 is essentially replaced.

Last edited:

Mei

Mei

Soldato
i just upgrade when i need to or if i get something free, im a cheapy
i badly need to upgrade soon for 4k & im not going more than 1 card

i think the Ti is coming this year (not a popular opinion :))but i might not wait for it anyway
im moving so ill just do it when that happens

Associate
It feels like I'm on a beach with the tide receding very quickly and something very disruptive is about to happen, I see some people trying to chase the tide out and I can't help but run to higher ground and just watch and wait for things to settle.

Every man for himself

Soldato
I think it depends - the 1080 TI will obviously bring the price of the 1080 down, and historically the TI holds it's value pretty well (the 980 TI was £500+ at launch, and £500+ until recently).

Smart money would probably sell the 1080 before the 1080 TI comes out to get the most resale value from it, but you'd need a standby card to swap in meanwhile.

I am considering keeping my 780 TI for any such eventualities tbh, it doesn't resell for that much (less still with the 1080 being out) but is powerful enough to play most things still at 1440p with reasonable FPS, and could tide me over between card upgrades quite well.

Soldato
Totally depends on performance gains for me.
I game at 1440p and it would have to give me a good 25-30% increase for me to even consider it. I've got a 1080 FTW ordered as my bother in law is having the 980ti I recently got.

Soldato
Ive got about £1300 back in my PC fund right now (money from selling old kit) so I've already got enough to cover both a 1080 and 1080ti. And then I'm about to send back my oculus rift for a refund and can sell the 1080 as well. I might actually have to put some cash in for maybe volta assuming there's another VR headset worth getting between now and then.

Associate
My GPU purchasing was all over the place until recently. Especially 4-5 years ago in my early 20s. Have had the 6990, 670, 7950, 690, original Titan, 7990, 970, 295x2, 980ti. I look to have had a serious problem by the looks of that list :| With most of the cards I only kept them briefly then soon resold them. I love the idea of dual cards taking just one slot, but soon tire of the poor scaling.

Strange after all that I've avoided all single x80 series cards. Think I've always been put off by the pricing of the x80 range, especially compared in performance to the x70 cards. Bring on the 1080Ti!

Last edited:
Associate
I did feel nvidia pushed the launch of the 1080 pretty fast with high rrp's to get what they can quick. Its a shame that the new tier didnt push down the older tiers, as this will reflect in video-game advancement.

Nvidia atm has no rush to launch anything else. I think most of us discredit Polaris... maybe they can surprise us, and hence the reason nvidia pushed out the 1080 quickly? Who knows.

Im too am looking for a 4k solution, but dont see it without SLI. The new titan/1080ti would probably be the card, but is it 7+ months away? Knowing my luck, as soon as I do something the day after it will get announced.

Associate
there is no point to release Ti anytime soon but if they do it will be set on another tier price that higher than 1080 now . Ti won't be the same price as 1080 that will make 1080 remain the same or only just a little cheaper .

Soldato
Don't normally care for having the latest, but kind of worked that way. Got more for the Titan X's then I paid for 1080's by a fair bit so will pocket some cash and get slightly better performance which was a win of sorts.

I will probably pick Pascal Titan's when released. Given the price delta between the 1080 and Titan the 1080's provided the Titan comes out first should hold their value fairly well, only when the Ti comes out will the price really drop I expect.

Really main goal is to drive my current panel of 3440 x 1440 @ 100hz how I want. 3 Titan X's could not always do it, doubt a pair of 1080's will do it but I expect a pair of Pascal Titan's / 1080Ti should.

Associate
Totally depends on performance gains for me.
I game at 1440p and it would have to give me a good 25-30% increase for me to even consider it.

Oh don't worry, I fully believe the 1080Ti will be at least 30% faster than a 1080. I think all the peeps going from a 980ti to 1080 will find the 1080Ti a lot harder to resist.

I think it depends - the 1080 TI will obviously bring the price of the 1080 down, and historically the TI holds it's value pretty well (the 980 TI was £500+ at launch, and £500+ until recently).

The thing is though once the 980Ti was released was the 980 really a relevant card anymore? how many people where honestly buying 980's new after the Ti hit? To me it was a choice between the 970 or 980Ti and I have a feeling the same will happen when the 1080Ti is released.

Associate
1080s will be consigned to history once the Tis come out. Not sure if 1080 owners will bother upgrading but a lot of 980Ti owners will. Depending on memory spec I'll bag a titan or a Ti, not interested in 1080 reference.

Soldato
For me the TI line is a waste of money and the none TI cards are faster for when I get time to play games in the summer. It makes far more sense at least in my situation to do upgrades around May/June. So no I don't plan to ever buy a TI card unless one comes out around May/June. Even though I can afford it I do not upgrade my GPU twice in 1 year.

Back
Top Bottom