• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - How To Overclock The Official Way Using Afterburner + Step By Step Overclocking Guide + Comple

Caporegime
OP
Liam ive had a thought. I'm pretty sure your card will have been shipped with an MSI driver install cd, on that cd will be a copy of afterburner. You could try using that version, maybe that version will let you use voltage control. Its a long shot but worth a try.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, I have. It's a bit short but pretty challenging on hard, and visually stunning. The 'plot' is nonsense, but it's about the best looking game I've played. (Haven't played BF3 though!)

Alf you haven't lived. Try out battlefield 3 asap!

Sleeping dogs on extreme makes metro 2033 seem like a cakewalk on the gpu, visually sleeping dogs looks superb as well.

Associate

Sleeping dogs on extreme makes metro 2033 seem like a cakewalk on the gpu, visually sleeping dogs looks superb as well.

May well do that! Been considering it for a while, but I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to online gaming. I tend to wander around looking at the scenery while I get shot, blown up, set on fire, and so on.

Soldato
Liam ive had a thought. I'm pretty sure your card will have been shipped with an MSI driver install cd, on that cd will be a copy of afterburner. You could try using that version, maybe that version will let you use voltage control. Its a long shot but worth a try.

Good idea mate i'll try and dig it out! Just cranked up the core to 1080 on stock volts and played BF3 just fine :) might try a sneaky 1100 but i cant see it holding

Caporegime
OP
Good idea mate i'll try and dig it out! Just cranked up the core to 1080 on stock volts and played BF3 just fine :) might try a sneaky 1100 but i cant see it holding

Yeah thats pretty good. Let me know how you get on once you push it as far as it'll go without a voltage bump. Run it at x2 then try x4.

Associate

Waiting to get my email so I can get the free copy that came with my GPU. roll on 7th of september...

Is the game any good besides looking good? triad GTA?

Soldato
Mal does trixx have an OSD like Afterburner would you know?

no it just has itself, you have to download a benchmark/afterburner, if that's what you mean

mine still isn't working, it defaulted back to 1.12v yet again at start up, it also dumped the rest of the OC as well, i think it's been on this low voltage for the last 2 months!!!!.....because Catalyst doesn't have this voltage option, you just presume that it's running on 1.17, but it might not be.

i redid it and it was ok yesterday, but might not be working today, i turned off ASrock instant boot; because i turned that on yesterday as well

i noticed something.. what is disable ULPS, i noticed it yesterday right at the bottom of the menu page ?
i think you're supposed to disable it, lets look online, yes you have to tick the box, ok it always has been so that'll make no difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that mal, i have managed to get mine to 1100/1200 on stock volts but still having no luck at all unlocking voltage with AB :(

i dont know what to say really, but i've read about yours online, i think it's this ULPS thing, because a few posters had the same card as yours, you have to tick it to disable it, or find where it is on your software.... but if you have Catalyst too, you need to make sure that this is fully turned on and on max, before you can OC higher elsewhere.... but please note i'm talking about my card only here.

search ``AMD, DISABLE ULPS``

AS FOR ME, it looks like i need to go online and look for a more recent version of Trixx, but mine is only 2 months old.

i wouldn't mind deleting all of it, because it's a pain, and returning to max Catalyst only.

except:- i've seen this default 1.12v three times now and the only way to make sure it's not like this on Crysis 3, is to check first on Trixx, because i've not seen the stock 7970 voltage on Catalyst yet, so i cant check it before gaming without Trixx.

i've only started using Trixx again since sunday and the first thing i saw was the voltage at 1.12.... i bet it's been like this since i fitted the new card, this is a massive undervolt down from stock..and it will have been like this for 2 months !!!!!

i fiddled around with it quite a lot last night and i'm on 1.19v and it's dead quiet, 1220/ 1600, i bet it can go much higher, but i dont want to; not after last time, i test it playing Deux Ex with the audio off..... and listen like crazy to the card :D

i'm quite suprised how quiet it is, it's as if there's no card in there, it's much quieter now than when it was undervolted at 1.12.

but none of this works on older games, the additional noise/ artifacts are too bad, in fact, it seems like i'm on 1.3v, you can hear coil whine, see pixillation etc.... it's very scary.

my old GT 8800 was far better at playing older games, the 7970 is miles better on newer games, but many of these older games might also have ``slight`` conflicts with Win 7, because all of mine are anchient Win XP discs and dont have Steam file upgrades.... no way Jose' :confused:

the only thing that annoys me is this damn 1.12v at start up, but it could be worst i suppose, just imagine if it was defaulting to 1.3 v

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know Mal, im really not experienced with trixxx. In my eyes its still a poor mans afterburner. :D

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277658-11-display-driver-crash-7970

ok thanks, i'm going to back off the gpu to 1200 from 1220, i saw another guy with his at 1.12v, so this seems ok, but for now i'll stick with 1.19 , that's if Trixx hasn't defaulted back when i start gaming tonight.....bloody hell i hope not, or i'll really start to worry

i'm bloody useless with this software stuff, it's all too complicated, you really need to make this a hobby before you can even start to understand it, i love building the rigs and messing around with them, it's so damned easy, but it's all this software stuff i hate, i'm getting better, but i'm still crap at it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277658-11-display-driver-crash-7970

ok thanks, i'm going to back off the gpu to 1200 from 1220, i saw another guy with his at 1.12v, so this seems ok, but for now i'll stick with 1.19 , that's if Trixx hasn't defaulted back when i start gaming tonight.....bloody hell i hope not, or i'll really start to worry

i'm bloody useless with this software stuff, it's all too complicated, you really need to make this a hobby before you can even start to understand it, i love building the rigs and messing around with them, it's so damned easy, but it's all this software stuff i hate, i'm getting better, but i'm still crap at it.

I use 1.175 @1200 Core. Stock for me is 1.112 and thats good up to about 1120.

Associate
All the afterburner stuff worked fine for me.

Heaven started glitching out and crashing when I went for anything over 1100 1400 even with voltage upped to 1.174. Is it worth pushing the voltage much more than that?

Sapphire 7950 vapor-x card

3D mark11 score of P9394 on 1100/1400

Associate
I've tried this with a Sapphire 7950 Vapor X. It doesn't work....

I tried from a fresh windows install.

I also attempted to place the dll files in sysWow64 manually, with UAV disabled, but it says I don't have permission. I tried to edit the security tab of sysWOW64 properties, but it simply said access denied. Glad to see win7 hasn't lost Vista charm.

Is there any hope of me unlocking voltage?

Caporegime
OP
All the afterburner stuff worked fine for me.

Heaven started glitching out and crashing when I went for anything over 1100 1400 even with voltage upped to 1.174. Is it worth pushing the voltage much more than that?

Sapphire 7950 vapor-x card

3D mark11 score of P9394 on 1100/1400

Whats your default voltage? You're good up to +0.0125mv.

Back
Top Bottom