• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
OP
I fancy an all in one mini PC. If the APU's that come later can match say an RX460 in GPU performance an an i5 6500 level CPU I would be really happy with that. Low power decent PC. Might even eventually replace my high end PC. I do very little actual gaming these days. Although a few new decent games could change that lol.

Soldato
OP
Pricing on 7700K looks like £350+ in the UK. Intel have officially gone insane. £350 for an overclocked renamed 6700K..

Plz shake up the CPU market AMD xD

I am bowing out for a couple years and sticking with my current CPU / Mobo / Ram. Will jump back in when pricing either settles or can I get a worthy upgrade for that kinda money. Maybe by 2020 :p

Leaves me some more money for those extortionate GPU prices over next couple of years ...

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't commit quite yet. We don't really have any independent reviews / benches yet. Nor do we have pricing.

What we do have is wild speculation that the 8 core 16 thread CPU will cost the same as Freddo bar, and will almost match a $1000 intel CPU (well, the last one might not be so wild, but I would await independent testing first).

Yeah will be review / price dependent, but as long as one of the Zen chips can match my old 6700K in gaming and beat it in workstation type stuff, movie encoding etc I will pick one up. I doubt I will get the very highest end chip. Prob a couple down from top.

Soldato
OP
Still in shock, AMD beating Intel in Performance, Power Consumption (TDP) and Price !!! Who would have thought?? The IPC is is really strong, yeah absolute shocker this is xD

Still undecided between R7 1700 or 1800X.. Hmm gonna wait for reviews though, just to get some extra info.

Soldato
OP
I went a bit crazy and went for the 1800x I just had my EK Am4 socket kit come through this morning.... sooooo excited haha

I am going MATX and there isn't any ETA for the decent MATX boards, so def gonna hold fire until reviews. Although I think I may just go bit crazy like yourself and get the 1800X when it's all available xD

Soldato
OP
One thing I am liking about AMD is they are genuinely bringing value to the consumer. They could easily have released these chips at Intel prices considering the performance is there.

Instead they are bringing us top end Intel performance at half the price!

Hopefully they can do the same with Vega!

^^

Really impressed with the performance and price. Still sort of in shock of how good these are xD

Incoming AMD build, just waiting for an ETA on the gaming MATX boards.

Soldato
OP
Looks amazing to me, I am baffled by anyone saying this is disappointing. AMD exceeded my expectations by a long way.

Spanks Intel's overpriced 6 core+ line up. Competitive in gaming especially with SMT off, so future BIOS could make this better.

Went for R7 1700 and ASUS MATX.

Soldato
OP
Booted to Windows, there she is, 8 cores / 16 thread hotness xD

All fine so far, very nippy around desktop, just ran virus test. Blazed through it so fast. Would I miss those 10 extra FPS VS a 7700K? Na of course not, over %100 faster in other apps though, that is a good trade off imho :D

Back
Top Bottom