• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime

So qualifying this premise with graphics settings at low on all those are:

1080P 144Hz Gaming for Overwhatch
1080P 120Mhz Gaming for Fortnite
1080P 60Hz Gaming for PUBG

Yes i'm being a bit hyperbole but, come on...... running on a £90 APU, on its Integrated graphics.

Associate
I wonder if there'll be a way to get the APU to use 4GB of RAM to allocate to the graphics. It might mean higher presets are available to be used in game. Perhaps with the caveat of a minimum of 16GB of total system RAM being installed.

My daughter (6yrs) is practically addicted to Rocket League. This is now looking like a compelling part to stick in a tiny case and let her come and play a few games with me.

Soldato
So qualifying this premise with graphics settings at low on all those are:

1080P 144Hz Gaming for Overwhatch
1080P 120Mhz Gaming for Fortnite
1080P 60Hz Gaming for PUBG

Yes i'm being a bit hyperbole but, come on...... running on a £90 APU, on its Integrated graphics.

Shame DDR4 costs more than the APU! :mad:
Thinking of getting one of these to replace my nieces 3330/7970 build but ram prices are just mental!

Soldato
And get myself banned...

Replace the motherboard i added to the original link with this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...am4-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-335-ms.html and the case with this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-klm-001-micro-atx-case-black-ca-007-kk.html

You're already down to £345.
The other board you suggested doesn't have any display outputs at all, I don't think DVI/d or analog output is acceptable for this board either, this is where the problem comes into the 300 series boards, you have the Asus ripoff itx boards with no display outputs at all.
+ Various others with either just a hdmi 1.4 or no outputs at all. So hopefully the am4 refresh will sort it all out.

Soldato
The other board you suggested doesn't have any display outputs at all, I don't think DVI/d or analog output is acceptable for this board either, this is where the problem comes into the 300 series boards, you have the Asus ripoff itx boards with no display outputs at all.
+ Various others with either just a hdmi 1.4 or no outputs at all. So hopefully the am4 refresh will sort it all out.

DVI-D to HDMI. Most of the boards I've used have pretty decent video out.

Soldato
OP
A lot of chip for not a lot of money, the stop gap is installed and it's genuinely impressive. Still am going to look forward to Zen 2 + Nvidia 2000 series in the future, will seem like an even bigger upgrade when it arrives xD

image.png

Soldato
If you only need 1080p/1440p display then yeah ok, but there's a lot of other compromises with that. Like I said hopefully the 400's come with hdmi 2.0/Dp 1.4

Well you can run 4K over HDMI 1.4 no problem. Not sure on the DVI-D side but 2560x1600 works and IIRC the now odball 2880x1880.

Associate
When I originally bought my 1700ryzen I paired it with 2666mhz memory, it may have been a distinct lack of memory at the time, I genuinely cannot remember. . . Anyway, how much would my corsair 2666 restrict one of these APU's compared to say 3200 speed memory? My reason being, I am thinking of making an entry level gaming machine for my 8yr old son, whereby I could feed my ryzen some more speedy ram and use what I currently have for his machine.. Any ideas?

Associate
Quick question, haven't upgraded in a long time & game in a old 1080p monitor. Was thinking r5 1600 & rx580 upgrade but seeing these apus and taking into account the horrible costs for gpu's Would it be a good upgrade for apu's (current spec below)

Soldato
The GPU in the R5 2400G would be faster than your HD 5850 and obviously support modern APIs like DX11/12 and Vulkan. The CPU would be hugely faster also, plus you'd gain SMT. In the current GPU environment it's certainly worth thinking about, especially as you can obviously plonk in a GPU later on if/when prices return to normal.

Back
Top Bottom