An app for DVD backup on PC?

Soldato
Hi all,

I've been out of the loop regarding this for ages. I have some DVD's that are starting to look a little tatty and I want to back them up on PC (not a disc to disc copy).
I have a DVD drive on my PC but is it a case of selecting all the files on the disc (there seems to be a lot too) and copying across? If I then want to playback this DVD from computer (the files) - which file do I then select to 'run' it.

Thank you

Last edited:
Soldato
What's on them?
Not done it in donkeys years
But with games there may be protection involved
Which may prevent playing them from iso

Vlc may suggest they're videos though
Also not done that in years
But vaguely recall just copy and paste or iso might not work perfectly
With regards to menus and stuff
That's if you wanted to play them exactly like the dvds
Being able to select menus etc
Just playing them no menu etc open the folder and run the large video file

Think I used to use Nero burning for that stuff
And some other software I can't remember
Clonedvd maybe
Seem to remember software had sheep in it lol
And another had a fox (possibly software by slyfox? )
The names will eventually pop in my head

Soldato
OP
Cheers McNumpty . I know :) As i'm thinking back i'm getting flashbacks too and remembering things that were so familiar back in the day but it's been so long i've forgot things :)

It's just some old sitcoms that are now no longer easily available and would like to still watch but not load up the discs each time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Big thanks for all the help :) I tried manually copying the files from disc to HDD but the DVD Protection kicked in any wouldn't allow, so installed DVDdecrypter and that copied it over nicely. Then used VLC to open the folder and the menu boots up instantly, then could use my mouse as a remote and select the chapters etc. Works great and i'm pleased :)

And yes thanks ALD , i've since been reading up and MakeMKV seems to be an improvement over DVDdecypter and might install that also but at the moment it's working great.
I now think I can broadcast this over to a CRT too for maximum nostalgia :)

Soldato
OP
In one of my old jobs about a decade ago now we was using something called "DD for windows".

Taking dvds and converting them in too .iso

You could then store them on your computer like any other file.

Do you then mount the .iso on a virtual drive (Deamon Tools comes to mind, another flashback)?

Associate
Make mkv is what I used to use back in the day. You could really do with compressing it down though and I use wondershare video converter ultimate to compress it down from 4+gb down to a few 100mb using the hev.c/H265 codec.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Make mkv is what I used to use back in the day. You could really do with compressing it down though and I use wondershare video converter ultimate to compress it down from 4+gb down to a few 100mb using the hev.c/H265 codec.
Wow, that's an impressive decrease - do you still have 'instant' access when you want to play it back though or need to decompress first?

To be honest, I only have a few discs I need to backup for the time being (which i've now done thanks to this thread) and plenty of space. There are things I miss from back in the day (and doing this has been a nice nostalgia hit :D ) But the readily amiability of cheap and fast storage is something i'm definitely now grateful for.

Associate
I should have been a bit more specific in my post. What I'm really saying is 2 different things here. First is, I used to use make mkv back in the day to convert dvds but better more efficient codes such as hev.c/H.265 are available now which has no noticeable loss of audio/video quality and it would be my first choice now for converting dvds.

You can shrink a dvd down from 4.7gb to around 1gb maybe less maybe a bit more, and no decompression or any further software is needed to play the hev.c file. My 8year old TV plays hev.c and so does all the other media players such as vlc, mpc, wmp, kodi, plex etc. It just uses more cpu power when playing hev.c/h.265.

Back
Top Bottom