Android tablet for kids with case, no Fire Kids!!

Soldato
Hi,

I'm at my wits end with my son's Amazon fire tablet and decided I'm done with the whole Amazon tablet for kids setup and going to start phasing them out of my house, I will pass it on to my younger son for now. It is hilariously bad and the most basic tasks are frustrating. Can't even install YouTube on the piece of ****

I want a bare bones Android tablet with decent performance (something his fire has so don't want it slower) that I can access the play store and use family link to manage

It needs to have a decent case available because he'll drop it at some point.

Any advice please? Budget under £100 inc case if possible but could go higher for something decent

Thanks

Associate
Google do an option called kid space.

It works on most Lenovo tablets, or their own latest pixel tablet.

I've used it on my son's and it's very good.

I don't think the Lenovo tablets are all that great but they are better than the Amazon versions.

The pixel tablet is very good, and I would like to upgrade my boy to this, but he also wants a pc so I need to weigh up what direction to go

Associate
The family link app and kidspace is very good. And great for locking and unlocking.

My boy has the tab m10 2nd gen, the lack of ram is a problem imo and it can get slow and clunky.

Looking around all tablets of the same money seem to have the same specs

Caporegime
I'm using Google Family Link with Samsung Tab A9+ for both my kids and I find the combination absolutely brilliant, both in terms of hardware and the ability to control what they do with the software. £150 in the usual place if you can stretch to that, otherwise the normal A9 is £100 but smaller.

P.S. I also had Amazon Fire for a while and I agree, they are ****.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm using Google Family Link with Samsung Tab A9+ for both my kids and I find the combination absolutely brilliant, both in terms of hardware and the ability to control what they do with the software. £150 in the usual place if you can stretch to that, otherwise the normal A9 is £100 but smaller.

P.S. I also had Amazon Fire for a while and I agree, they are ****.

Hi, I can't see these for £150 unless it states "non UK version" is that what you have?

I take it you sign into the tablet on first setup with their Google account?

Does YouTube sign into the app with their own Google account and works with the family link specific settings?

Is there Anything else your kids use it for that can be set with family link, maybe in Chrome such as age restricted browsing etc?

Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure family link will do everything I hope after tearing my hair out with the Amazon stuff

Last edited:
Associate
With family link you can restrict apps, YouTube you can choose whether they have access to YouTube kids or YouTube and then restrict content ages.

You can limit time per app and limit on time of tablet, can limit time for different days like a heating thermostat

It's easy to override for adults.

You can set passwords and permissions for spending etc.

Samsung kids skin looks a little similar to the Google kidspace.

It limits their access to internet and the app store.

Associate
For chrome restrictions see here https://support.google.com/families/answer/7087030?hl=en#zippy=,android,manage-your-childs-browsing-on-chrome

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just edited above post with screenshots of family link on my phone

That's great thanks for that, I think I'm going to look at getting him the A9+ and use it with family link and pass his fire 10 to his younger brother

He's hospital bound at the moment and the fire 10 just causes unnecessary stress trying to do simple things to alleviate boredom so really need something thats easier to manage

Associate
That's great thanks for that, I think I'm going to look at getting him the A9+ and use it with family link and pass his fire 10 to his younger brother

He's hospital bound at the moment and the fire 10 just causes unnecessary stress trying to do simple things to alleviate boredom so really need something thats easier to manage

Ah sorry to hear he's in hospital hope he's better soon, yes having a tablet that's clunky can be very frustrating.

All the best with the new tablet.

Associate
Google do an option called kid space.

It works on most Lenovo tablets, or their own latest pixel tablet.

I've used it on my son's and it's very good.

I don't think the Lenovo tablets are all that great but they are better than the Amazon versions.

The pixel tablet is very good, and I would like to upgrade my boy to this, but he also wants a pc so I need to weigh up what direction to go
+1
We bought our daughter a cheap Lenovo M10 tablet and enabled kids space. Works great and with Google Family Link you have greater control of what they can and can’t access along with usage logs etc

Back
Top Bottom