• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Any coil whine on your 1080 or 1070?

Do you have any coil whine on your 1080 or 1070?

• Yes

Votes: 76 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 158 67.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Reading about, it seems that a few are having some coil whine issues, so just out of interest, are you getting it? If so, what PSU are you using?

I was switching between systems when doing a new build and using a Corsair HX750 and the coil whine was horrendous and had I not already tested the Gigabyte G1 Gaming card on my other system with an EVGA G2 Supernove, I would have believed it was the card at fault and not the PSU. Totally silent in my new set-up except for when Heaven finishes and that has done that with every GPU I have owned.

If you do get it, can you list your PSU and make of GPU please - Even if you don't get it can you list those please :)

Associate
No coil whine here on EVGA 1070 FE with Corsair RM750x.

With the exact same set up I was getting coil while on my Palit 980Ti Super Jetstream though!

Soldato
No coil whine on current two FE 1080's with HX1200i. I did however have some whine on the 1080 FE that Hit the dirt and was RMA'd with same PSU.

Associate
I've not noticed any on my EVGA 1070 FE with a HX850i

edit: Actually I take that back. I just took the side of my case off and ran Unigine Valley and there's definitely coil whine there. That's a shame but thankfully I can only hear it with the case open, my ear to the card and under load. So ignore one of those "no" votes up top!

Last edited:
Associate
I'd be looking at your PSU/Mobo as the culprit.

I purchased a new PSU just to see if that was the problem and I still had coil whine. Also tried them both on my gfs rig and both still had coil whine neither of our titanxs have coil whine on either of our rigs.
Not to sure what was causing the problem but its a problem I am not willing to live with.
Maybe a 1080 with a custom pcb will solve this for me.

Associate
Corsair ax860 and also on a evga P2 850.
Cards gigabyte 1080 fe/evga 1080 fe

From what I understand the Evga PSUs are rated up with the Superflowers, perhaps I even read they were just rebranded? So I guess the PSU isn't the culprit.

Honestly, I don't know much about coil whine but I thought by asking your PSU it would at least give Gregster the information he was asking. :p

Back
Top Bottom