Any downsides to a smart meter?

Associate
I don't know if they do this but they are capable of measuring voltage. This is useful for suppliers to know because it can be early indication of faults. For instance if you have a problem out on your 3phase in the street (neutral failure) it can in instances result in yours/your neighbours load affecting each other’s supplies. Its possible if you draw a huge amount and your neighbours less so to fry everything in their house as they end up getting 400v+. Again, no idea if this is sent/acted upon but its a good way to automatically fault find.

On that note above, since smart meters have the ability to disconnect then its possible there could be a safety feature that allows automatic disconnection if incoming voltage is too high. Again speculation but something that is technically possible.

Soldato
I don't know if they do this but they are capable of measuring voltage. This is useful for suppliers to know because it can be early indication of faults. For instance if you have a problem out on your 3phase in the street (neutral failure) it can in instances result in yours/your neighbours load affecting each other’s supplies. Its possible if you draw a huge amount and your neighbours less so to fry everything in their house as they end up getting 400v+. Again, no idea if this is sent/acted upon but its a good way to automatically fault find.

On that note above, since smart meters have the ability to disconnect then its possible there could be a safety feature that allows automatic disconnection if incoming voltage is too high. Again speculation but something that is technically possible.
Yes this is possible as is the disconnection of high voltage. They report voltage and fluctuation to DCC and DCC pass that data to the DNO.

Auto disconnect under regulation is ONLY to be used as a temporary measure for PAYG (prepayment or pay as you go) customer who run out of credit AND emergency credit (E-credit is £10 and is only there to allow time for customer to top-up).

Associate
Do you know if voltage faults are generally acted upon/actaully monitored? I was just reading the SMETSv2 specs doc and came accross the provisions that lay out the generating/sending of that data. So you're saying that smart meters do auto disconnection on high voltage currently or its just possible since the data/hardware is there? Also occured to me, i wonder if SMETS2 meters are built to potentially survive/function if voltage is up at 400?

9qQVzaN.png

https://assets.publishing.service.g...meters_equipment_technical_spec_version_2.pdf

Last edited:
Yes this is possible as is the disconnection of high voltage. They report voltage and fluctuation to DCC and DCC pass that data to the DNO.

Auto disconnect under regulation is ONLY to be used as a temporary measure for PAYG (prepayment or pay as you go) customer who run out of credit AND emergency credit (E-credit is £10 and is only there to allow time for customer to top-up).

I think the issue was that if you were to be a credit customer and not engage in honest communication about dealing with a large negative balance that they could in theory remotely change you to a PP meter in effect.
At that point of course then any requirements I regards being a PP customer would kick in.

Your then into the conversation about would you rather have it happen remotely or would you prefer the person at your door with a warrant to grant them access to physically change it.
If your vulnerable then I guess the later is better, you have some hope of stopping it, but if you not then personally should that happen I would rather the first scenario than come home to find someone had forced entry to change my meter.

Soldato
I think the issue was that if you were to be a credit customer and not engage in honest communication about dealing with a large negative balance that they could in theory remotely change you to a PP meter in effect.
At that point of course then any requirements I regards being a PP customer would kick in.

Your then into the conversation about would you rather have it happen remotely or would you prefer the person at your door with a warrant to grant them access to physically change it.
If your vulnerable then I guess the later is better, you have some hope of stopping it, but if you not then personally should that happen I would rather the first scenario than come home to find someone had forced entry to change my meter.
Suppliers under recent rules change due to British Gas doing just this are no longer allowed to put you on PAYG without notification.

If someone is at your door with a warrant you are having a prepayment meter even if you don't want it. Warrants are only issued to cases the supplier knows are justifiable.

Suppliers under recent rules change due to British Gas doing just this are no longer allowed to put you on PAYG without notification.

If someone is at your door with a warrant you are having a prepayment meter even if you don't want it. Warrants are only issued to cases the supplier knows are justifiable.

But whats the notification, if its a one way conversation thats the same thing. Thats what people have been saying *could* happen.

There have been plenty of times that the people installing prepay have been shown to have queried it and then not fitted.
But thats my point, the systems for identifying people arent perfect, many of those people wont be good at engagement and as such the first time the supplier may know is after they have reached the end resort and applied and received a court order.

Anyway my point is the smart meter is still a good thing, and the stuff like they cannot force me onto a prepayment is just distraction and for many simply untrue.
The process may be easier with a smart meter, but for the majority, its going to happen whatever, so all you may gain by having a dumb meter as opposed to a smart one is a little more time to rack up a little more debt ;)

Soldato
So you can turn the power to the house off without having to get the DNO out to pull the main fuse at your cost.

You may already have one, it’s standard fit now but a lot of properties don’t have them on their legacy installs.

Last edited:
Commissario
You may already have one, it’s standard fit now but a lot of properties don’t have them on their legacy installs.
Ahh OK. Our old consumer unit thing has plug in breakers and a big master off switch so I guess we effectively have one already.

It looks a bit like this (which I found online)

pUQOepIm.jpeg

Soldato
That’s not an isolation switch.

it goes between your meter and the consumer unit. The idea is that you can work on the entire electrical installation safely including the consumer unit (e.g. replace it or install a new circuit) without having to pull the main fuse which only the DNO is allowed to do at your cost.

PS if your consumer unit looks like that, get that, get it replaced as soon as realistically possible. Those things have zero safety features.

Edit: the isolation switch is normally placed directly next to the meter.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally got an install date from Octopus they seem to release dates early monday morning like midnight early.
Getting it installed on April 11th.

Last edited:
Soldato
That’s not an isolation switch.

it goes between your meter and the consumer unit. The idea is that you can work on the entire electrical installation safely including the consumer unit (e.g. replace it or install a new circuit) without having to pull the main fuse which only the DNO is allowed to do at your cost.

PS if your consumer unit looks like that, get that, get it replaced as soon as realistically possible. Those things have zero safety features.

Edit: the isolation switch is normally placed directly next to the meter.
Correct isolation switched are now dual pole meaning they cut both live and neutral. In my opinion they should be fitted as standard although most suppliers will charge for them.

@Feek you CU is old and as @b0rn2sk8 has said it should be replaced at your earliest convenience. If you were to have any work done on your electrical installation (anything after your CU) it would Have to be replaced and upgraded to 18th edition compliance. No need to rush out and replace it unless work is being done.

Last edited:
Soldato
How would I find out if I have a SMETS2 meter?

Been with Octopus for years, fixed term ends in October and i'm thinking going on the smart tracker when it ends.
You should be able to see it on the octopus website, not the app. There is a bit that says meter type and then it tells you e.g Meter type:Smart (SMETS2)

Back
Top Bottom