Any downsides to a smart meter?

Man of Honour
My IHD failed on Thursday and seems to be picking up somone elses meter as under the meters section I have three entries now, one of which reads unknown. Also my gas meter seems to think it's a PAYG meter now and even shows how much credit there is. I am thinking that the Gas meter showing as a PAYG meter is the unknown one and it's all been too much for the IHD which now displays a blank screen. I contacted Octopus who confirmed that both my meters are credit meters and can't understand what has happened. They are sending me out a new IHD of the latest version.

Soldato
My IHD failed on Thursday and seems to be picking up somone elses meter as under the meters section I have three entries now, one of which reads unknown. Also my gas meter seems to think it's a PAYG meter now and even shows how much credit there is. I am thinking that the Gas meter showing as a PAYG meter is the unknown one and it's all been too much for the IHD which now displays a blank screen. I contacted Octopus who confirmed that both my meters are credit meters and can't understand what has happened. They are sending me out a new IHD of the latest version.
My meters have a display that looks as if it is a PAYG meter. Just ignore, think it is normal/ some side effect of how the IHD is setup.

Soldato
- I know a link to a related article was posted earlier, just thought for some BBC would hold more credibility.

According to the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero (Desnez), 2.7 million were not operating in smart mode as of June 2023. It has since revised this figure to 4.31 million, citing reporting errors from a minority of suppliers.

At the end of last year, 3.98 million were faulty.

Energy UK, the trade association for the energy industry, says suppliers must replace broken meters.

Won't be in any hurry to get ours replaced. I embrace tech but this is just silly, smart meters have been around since 2011, it is silly that after 14 years we still have issues....

We'll end up paying for the suppliers replacing these meters despite this being their issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
- I know a link to a related article was posted earlier, just thought for some BBC would hold more credibility.

Won't be in any hurry to get ours replaced. I embrace tech but this is just silly, smart meters have been around since 2011, it is silly that after 14 years we still have issues....

We'll end up paying for the suppliers replacing these meters despite this being their issue.
Its frustrating when it stops sending readings because they actually save us a lot of money combined with solar etc. That said, even if you switched to a smart meter and it stopped working you wouldn't be in a worse position, it would just function as a normal meter so refusing to switch because it might go wrong at some point is not really a great stance to take.

As for paying, you already are it is part of the standing charge.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I won’t be getting one now because a) I’ve had 5 out of 5 failed appointments in little over a year and b) they don’t want to install them after 5pm when I’m home or at the weekend.

Smart meter installers and companies are worthless dossers.

Soldato
Haven't experienced any downside as of yet (compared to normal meters). A little admin to email the supplier when the readings sometimes stop being sent automatically.

The positive is quite specific as I'm with Octopus but I've been able to get on their Tracker tariff which has been around 30% cheaper for the past year. It's a shame I didn't join it sooner!

Soldato
Been waiting 4 months for them to send someone out to fit a new battery to my smart meter, not been billed for gas for 3 months, and can not give them readings

Soldato
Been waiting 4 months for them to send someone out to fit a new battery to my smart meter, not been billed for gas for 3 months, and can not give them readings
Free energy? Sounds like another bonus for the smart meter! :D (I'm assuming this case is specific for Gas right?)

Back
Top Bottom