Anyone have an office chair recomendation (sub £500)

Soldato
Been working from home for too long at the kitchen table and after a day of work my back is quite stiff and painful (lumbar support needed). Going to get a proper chair, obvs I could try to get a Miller refurb when some company goes bust; but what are other options? Some of the IKEA ones are less than £300 and seem okay.

Associate
I got an Amazon Umi office chair and have been really happy with it. My lower back is definitely better than it was before I had this chair.
This isn't the exact chair but its as close to the one I bought that I can see - the mesh bottom is awesome in the summer! https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIHOO-Ergonomic-Adjustable-Armrests-Skin-Friendly/dp/B085GDG45B/ref=sr_1_16?crid=25WYARNW0ZSJG&keywords=umi+office+chair&qid=1679326196&sprefix=umi+office+chair,aps,59&sr=8-16&th=1
That looks like a decent chair

Soldato
Yep, IKEA Markus, I have one at home and in work, the one at work has had my fat ass in it for 6+ years as well and it’s not worn or showing any real signs of wear.. same at home, that is probably over 8 years old if not over 10 and it’s solid, the only wear is the arms catching on the desk and that’s minor scuffing..

it’s a shame they don’t do the leather versions anymore, both mine are leather and I like the comfort.

My son has been through two £200 gaming chairs, they fall apart and just don’t last, so we are getting him a Markus for his birthday.

Soldato
That Amazon one looks identical to the Ticova version I'm in the process of returning. Seat cushion padding has collapsed in center and it started making a clicking sound moving around luckily on day 28 before return window closed. Tried to cheapo out but I'm just going to need to order a Herman Miller and stop being tight :p Ticova Amazon cloned?

Soldato
FYI there's a list of office chair brands here.

The Orangebox chairs are quite well thought of. If you don't mind buying second hand then there are lots of office clearance companies that have massive warehouses full of second hand chairs.

Soldato
I did find lots of clearance companies some of the sites are dire though. Got any personal recommendations that you know are decent. Almost bought a used Sayl but it a compromise I dont want to make as really want a Embody.

Soldato
I'm saying take a trip to your local office clearance company that is offering chairs for sale, as then you can check the condition (which can vary).

There are probably some good clearance companies online for second hand but I don't know who.

When it comes to a chair, also bear in mind the weight of the chair. Lighter task chairs can be better for some as easier to move in.

Soldato
The Orangebox Joy and Giroflex G64 are quite well respected task chairs that would be available second hand. I'm not sure if Giroflex is still in business though, I think the design has now been used by other companies.

Associate
Interesting to see Orangebox chairs being mentioned here on regular basis and I agree that they are one of the best office chairs.

I work for very large organisation with 1000+ employees and we supply requested office furniture to various departments.

Most requested chair - Orangebox Do Task chair
Most spare chairs in our storage - Herman Miller Mirra and Herman Miller Aeron.

Associate
New they are expensive, but you should be able to pick up a used/refurbished Steelcase office chair within your budget. Models to check out: Gesture, Leap (V2), Please (V2).

Back
Top Bottom