anyone used "Chips Away" ?

Soldato
Some look good, but fixing bigger dents and plastic rips with lots of filler and fibre glass isn't something I would want. The one on the 11th Dec 15 looks a real bodge - I would want that cut out. I wonder how some of those larger ones fair over time.

Maybe I am old school but if its more than a little filler, paint and clearcoat then sections should be separated so paint can go around the edges and metal/plastic damage gets replaced.

The alternative to these is more than 4x the price, usually for cash repairs not insurance.

Many people use them though of course they are not as good (or expensive) as say a new bumper.

That Plastic weld was featured on Wheeler Dealers, it is not just filler, the other bumper is tied with metal ties and then hollowed and filled, probably cost £150 rather than £600 for a new bumper and spray, it is all down to how much the customer can afford.

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't a clue in this sort of thing, but the end result on that one you mentioned looks finished ok or can you see something I cant?

It's not the end visual result that's the issue, its the reliability (under flexing etc) and corrosion resistance that worries me, especially as its between panels which are hard to seal.

Don't get me wrong I did similar repairs to get my first car on the road that was a trashed hand me down although I did weld patch panels from pattern panels in some areas. Its just a surprise to see that on what is an advert for work.

Associate
I had a 4" parking scrape on the rear bumper,got a quote of £180 from chipsaway to repair it.Took the car in to my local paint shop and they did the same job for £90.

Soldato
It's not the end visual result that's the issue, its the reliability (under flexing etc) and corrosion resistance that worries me, especially as its between panels which are hard to seal.

Don't get me wrong I did similar repairs to get my first car on the road that was a trashed hand me down although I did weld patch panels from pattern panels in some areas. Its just a surprise to see that on what is an advert for work.

Why would it surprise you?

People think their only option is £600 for a new bumper and drive around with damage. See they can get £150 smart repair and have it done.

Not everyone has money to burn you know.

:rolleyes:

Underboss
OP
popped into the body shop today, and they wanted £250 + VAT
they said as its in the middle of the bumper, they cant do a smart repair, so they would have to take the bumper off, and sand it down etc, re prime it and re paint it all

Soldato
For anything more than stone chips, find a proper bodyshop with a good reputation. Usually a better price and a better finish.

Back
Top Bottom