Aorus Owner's Lounge

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thank you for your clarify Atom. That make sense and see THAT reseller changed their price tag. Do you know if AmazonUK will introduce the V5 or not?

Regarding the storage, do you have some more info about the SSD setup and spec between the CF1 and CF2 rig? From what you said, it sounds like the SSD are not the same Samsung PM951 in both rig...

You know, the V4 and V5 rig are really lack in info/review on the internet, many reseller just provide basic CPU/GPU/RAM on them....

Thank you!

Hi davidkwan,

The CF2 product should be widely available with UK re-sellers after new year (date not firm).

SSD in the CF1 model with OcUK is SM951

SSD in the CF2 model is 2 x PM951

Regarding reviews, there are a few out there for V3 and V4 models, but there isnt any of the V5 published yet.

Hope that helps.

Team AORUS

Associate
The CF2 product should be widely available with UK re-sellers after new year (date not firm).

SSD in the CF1 model with OcUK is SM951

SSD in the CF2 model is 2 x PM951

Thank you Atom. Is that the CF1 model will only limit to certain resellers all the time and CF2 will be the main model for the widely market after new year?

Associate
I too bought one of the early machines at the end of November, but I must be one of the lucky ones as I've not had a problem with it so far (actually really happy with it) and I also got the newer power transformer, so maybe I was lucky and received one of the "updated" models?

In any case, it did only come with one SSD and I paid ~200 to put in a second. However, I guess it's just luck of the draw and all down to timing, but at the time I was comfortable with the price and still am for what I've got now (which is the ability to play some games over the holidays).

Here is my earlier "first thoughts" for anyone that's interested

============================================================================================================================================
First impressions are that it's a quality product. The packaging is definitely the best I've ever seen for a laptop. I usually order pretty expensive laptops due to the fact I use them all the time, and the packaging on this one is amazing. I won't spoil the surprise though. One nice touch is the inclusion of an Aorus branded 8GB tiny USB drive that has all the drivers on it should you need to re-install. It's got enough space left that you can add other things to it as well that you personally would want in case of a re-install.

At home I use the laptop connected to an external Samsung monitor 22" (1680x1050) and it did take some mucking around to get it look right, however now that it's all tweaked it's spot on. It's also connected to a USB Pluggable device (Plugable UD-3900 ) docking station, which works perfectly with the laptop. No issues there. One thing I have noticed though is that the power button, although it's on the side, doesn't work unless the laptop is fully open. I've tried it with the lid closed, or halfway open and it doesn't work. When connected to the docking station you'd prefer it would so you don't have to open the lid to turn it on, but I can see why this is place, I assume to prevent it accidentally turning on if it's in a backpack or something, so I can live with that.

Not a problem with the laptop, but customizing Windows 10 to look/feel/function how I want has been a pain. However, that's all done now and it's nice to use. I did have to upgrade to Pro (from Home, as I need bitlocker for work) however which was £99. I could have paid £50 and completely re-installed however it looks like Aorus has done a fair bit of good tuning of Windows 10 and I thought it best to pay the extra £50 to upgrade via the app store than save £50 and lose all the nice Aorus tweaks.

Onto the most crucial bit though - gaming. I'm waiting to install the other SSD before I install a heap of games, however I've tried Fallout 4 and Black Ops 3, both cranked up to max on 1680x1050 and both work perfectly. Maybe a very slight slowdown in Fallout 4 with max draw distance and distant object detail on Max, but other than that, very smooth on both.

Finally, your question about fan noise. Yes, there is some, however, I previously had a Clevo W230ST and I would say this laptop only produces half the noise of that one when running at max, so I'm happy with it. Also, unlike the Clevo, there is a control centre where you can set the desired fan speed (quiet, normal, gaming), so if you're in the office you can set to quiet and I assume it will throttle the performance accordingly (I've not tried this yet). However, the fan noise is there when the laptop is under heavy load, although for a laptop this size and performant, it's probably as quiet/customisable as you're going to get.

I'll report back once I've put in the additional SSD to confirm that it's working as expected. This is the SSD that Atom provided earlier in the thread.
=============================================================================================================================

Last edited:
Associate
...... Although - I just checked scan and they've got the x3 plus v5 with 2x 512GB for the same price, so maybe that extra drive has been added and we just missed out :(

Hawk862, I think the have marked up their price starting from this morning. As Atom said, both CF1 and CF2 should be in different price tag and CF2 should not be "LIVE" at this moment....

Associate
Hawk862, I think the have marked up their price starting from this morning. As Atom said, both CF1 and CF2 should be in different price tag and CF2 should not be "LIVE" at this moment....

Gah! £1,899 - only £40 more - I was expecting maybe £1,999

http://www.************/products/139-aorus-x3-qhdplus-3200x1800-i7-6700hq-6gb-gtx-970m-gddr5-16gb-ddr4-2133-2x-pcie-nvme-512gb-ssd-al

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thank you Atom. Is that the CF1 model will only limit to certain resellers all the time and CF2 will be the main model for the widely market after new year?

Hi David,

It is just that OcUK ordered first, and at that time the spec offered by HQ was the CF1.

R&D then decided that the mainstream spec would comprise of 2 x 512SSD, so the CF2 was ordered by our distributor, for the wider market - so basically CF2 will be available everywhere next year, including OcUK.

Hope thats clearer.

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I too bought one of the early machines at the end of November, but I must be one of the lucky ones as I've not had a problem with it so far (actually really happy with it) and I also got the newer power transformer, so maybe I was lucky and received one of the "updated" models?

In any case, it did only come with one SSD and I paid ~200 to put in a second. However, I guess it's just luck of the draw and all down to timing, but at the time I was comfortable with the price and still am for what I've got now (which is the ability to play some games over the holidays).

Here is my earlier "first thoughts" for anyone that's interested

============================================================================================================================================
First impressions are that it's a quality product. The packaging is definitely the best I've ever seen for a laptop. I usually order pretty expensive laptops due to the fact I use them all the time, and the packaging on this one is amazing. I won't spoil the surprise though. One nice touch is the inclusion of an Aorus branded 8GB tiny USB drive that has all the drivers on it should you need to re-install. It's got enough space left that you can add other things to it as well that you personally would want in case of a re-install.

At home I use the laptop connected to an external Samsung monitor 22" (1680x1050) and it did take some mucking around to get it look right, however now that it's all tweaked it's spot on. It's also connected to a USB Pluggable device (Plugable UD-3900 ) docking station, which works perfectly with the laptop. No issues there. One thing I have noticed though is that the power button, although it's on the side, doesn't work unless the laptop is fully open. I've tried it with the lid closed, or halfway open and it doesn't work. When connected to the docking station you'd prefer it would so you don't have to open the lid to turn it on, but I can see why this is place, I assume to prevent it accidentally turning on if it's in a backpack or something, so I can live with that.

Not a problem with the laptop, but customizing Windows 10 to look/feel/function how I want has been a pain. However, that's all done now and it's nice to use. I did have to upgrade to Pro (from Home, as I need bitlocker for work) however which was £99. I could have paid £50 and completely re-installed however it looks like Aorus has done a fair bit of good tuning of Windows 10 and I thought it best to pay the extra £50 to upgrade via the app store than save £50 and lose all the nice Aorus tweaks.

Onto the most crucial bit though - gaming. I'm waiting to install the other SSD before I install a heap of games, however I've tried Fallout 4 and Black Ops 3, both cranked up to max on 1680x1050 and both work perfectly. Maybe a very slight slowdown in Fallout 4 with max draw distance and distant object detail on Max, but other than that, very smooth on both.

Finally, your question about fan noise. Yes, there is some, however, I previously had a Clevo W230ST and I would say this laptop only produces half the noise of that one when running at max, so I'm happy with it. Also, unlike the Clevo, there is a control centre where you can set the desired fan speed (quiet, normal, gaming), so if you're in the office you can set to quiet and I assume it will throttle the performance accordingly (I've not tried this yet). However, the fan noise is there when the laptop is under heavy load, although for a laptop this size and performant, it's probably as quiet/customisable as you're going to get.

I'll report back once I've put in the additional SSD to confirm that it's working as expected. This is the SSD that Atom provided earlier in the thread.
=============================================================================================================================

Thanks for the balanced opinions Hawk and we are delighted you are happy with your purchase.

Regards,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Gah! £1,899 - only £40 more - I was expecting maybe £1,999

Hi guys,

We do our best to "manage" our products and pricing within the market, but as mentioned earlier we cannot dictate to partners what price they should sell at.

The one thing we have done very well over the last 18 months, is to prevent existing customers from being annoyed when the next generation of a model launches, as we have positioned any new models higher, so that the outgoing model can still have its price position in the market. Obviously we improve the spec, not just increase the price!

We work hard to ensure products arent discounted massively, and this is an ongoing mission for us to protecct the brand, and our customers investment in us.

The situation with the X3 V5 has been slighty different, and we have learned from it for sure.

We trust you understand that some things are out of our control and down to market forces, but we do try to offer "value" for the specification and quality of the product.

Hope that helps in some way,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Just as a follow up to my review I've now had a change to use the laptop running on battery only, and it lasted my 3.5 hour train journey with ~2 hours to spare according to Windows. I had put the device into quiet mode as well which may have helped.

The screen is great once you can get the scaling sorted out (which Windows 10 handles pretty well) and the keyboard is a bit "clicky", but nothing to worry about really, it's no worse than a Dell laptop keyboard which is pretty standard.

I also used it for a presentation the other day and in quiet mode, it's quiet. No jet engine fan noise like my old W230ST. This was using a HDMI -> VGA adapter which worked no problems.

So again all good - I think if you can get a model without the original bugs in it, you'll be happy if you need an all round device you can travel with for gaming, work and meetings/presentations (and now 2 512GB drives as standard it's a no brainer really).

Associate
Hi, Atom.

Can I re-paste the Aorus x3 v5 myself? I have all the tools and know how. I have already re-pasted Alienware before (Which was actually much more difficult to take apart than Aorus). There are no problems with overheating/thermal throttling on my system, but I have read that re-pasting with premium thermal compound (such as Gelid Extreme or IC Diamond) can decrease the max. temperature of this CPU from 85-90C to 75-80C while gaming. Does it void the warranty if properly done?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, Atom.

Can I re-paste the Aorus x3 v5 myself? I have all the tools and know how. I have already re-pasted Alienware before (Which was actually much more difficult to take apart than Aorus). There are no problems with overheating/thermal throttling on my system, but I have read that re-pasting with premium thermal compound (such as Gelid Extreme or IC Diamond) can decrease the max. temperature of this CPU from 85-90C to 75-80C while gaming. Does it void the warranty if properly done?

Thanks.

May I check what's the temp of CPU and GPU of X3 V5 during idle?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi, Atom.

Thanks.

Hi narubi,

If you are confident in your ability, which it sounds as though you are, then yes proceeed. This will not void your warranty.

Regaards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hi narubi,

If you are confident in your ability, which it sounds as though you are, then yes proceeed. This will not void your warranty.

Regaards,

Team AORUS

This is why I chose to go the Aorus route :). Nice to have a bit of trust from the manufacturer.....

Associate
Great, thanks for the reply Atom. Yeah Aorus has one of the best support teams I have seen. It will be pretty obvious difference if some hardware will be damaged by customer, or by malfunction. I still need to decide what paste to buy, it's a hard decision :D
I will report on how much the CPU temp has changed, once done. But once again, as I said, there are no overheating issues with my x3 v5 as the processor used can run up to 100C. I would just like to have it as cool and quiet as possible.

Associate
85-90 degree?? sounds pretty dangerous..... I even feel dangerous with my MSI GT70 at CPU temp 75degree in gaming.....

Your laptop is 17 inch machine, which has much more space for the cooling system than a thin 14 inch one. Also your processor max temp is 100C, the same as the x3v5 one, so you don't have to worry at all.

MSI GT70 processor:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-4800MQ-Notebook-Processor.86105.0.html

Aorus x3v5 processor:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Notebook-Processor.149420.0.html

Back
Top Bottom