Apple announces the new ipod/iphone !

Associate
gord said:
Doesnt have a camera, and therefore, wont be superseeding my Sony Ericssons..

When it does have a decent camera its all i will need!

True. No camera is a bad idea. Eveyone expects a camera on a high end phone.

EDIT - looks like it does have a camera as mentioned above. Good call!

Last edited:
Soldato
starscream said:
Although this looks awesome....

5 hours battery life using apps, 16 audio, and these are the manufactures specs as well, so probably in optimised conditions.

Although this is great for PDA type device, as a phone, it is going to be a bit of a pain if it needs charging at least once a day.
Apple also state that the standard 30GB iPod is capable of 14 hours of audio playback, as opposed to the 16 hours the iPhone is claimed to be capable of.

Not bad at all, in my opinion.

Soldato
Al Vallario said:
This is an absolutely killer wireless device, though. The wireless functionality and software (Widgets just like OS X, Safari web browsing, beautiful contact list system, conversation-style SMS messages, photo viewer, video viewing, iPod-like music playing interface) combined with the 4/8GB hard drive makes it the best companion you could possibly imagine if you're on the move. Plus it's 11.6mm thin, has three proximity detectors, an ambient light sensor, a huge touch-screen with unbelievablely smooth multitouch functionality...

It's not a replacement for the iPod, it's a separate device which puts the iPod to shame and does so in style :)

Undoubtedly it looks to be a ground-breaking convergence device. I just worry about the hardware.

In my mind the sucess of the iphone rides on one thing, battery life. Ipods aren't essential day to day devices imo, and if the battery goes on mine when i'm out then it's annoying but its not a catashtrophe. However mobiles are a different kettle of fish, people rely on them. When my mobile battery dies its a real annoyance. Whilst 5 hours talk/video/internet usage sounds good, i'm interested in what real world battery life is like.

Least we can let the americans test drive it for 6 months to see if its as good as it looks on paper.

Soldato
Well good for them! I use my phone as a phone, to make calls and maybe send a few texts...but if you have the money to waste on that, go on! :D

Soldato
Hate to burst everyones bubble, but if the screen is just 320x480x180ppi then the picture will be no where near as good as displayed on the website and demo pictures.

Nokias N80 is 352x416 on a screen about 1.5Inches (it looks great) This phone is roughly the same res on 3.5 Inches.

The Website demo pic and all the hyped up pictures on the web are way too defined & anyone that believes the screen will look anything like that deserves all they get.

I'd like to think the screen would look as cool as that - but there's no way it will at that size and that res. Look at your own phone screen size - then check the specs for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
So its out q4 in eroupe, so hopefully next year it will be avaliable to us? (i remeber the n series nokias announced way before it was out).

Its almost as if this phone is perfect, but what kind of apps would be avaliable and could it cope with sat nav? Does os X even have a mobile device sat nav solution?

So next Febuary when my contract is up i will go for this!

Soldato
And if this device is used for WiFi and as MP3 - I would say the battery life will be about 10 hours max. before needing recharged - And will the battery be replaceable ?

And how well will it function as a phone for texting and Voice ???? It may even make the entire planet think that OSX is a donkey, because it's the only device they have used it on.

Back
Top Bottom