Apple announces the new ipod/iphone !

Caporegime
Mr Spew said:
No they aren't, on the Apple site it says iPhone at the top, on the back of the unit it says iPhone and all over the site.
Id be very surprised if that remains though considering Cisco (Linksys branded) have their own range of iPhones...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
They are in talks with Cisco to aquire the name according to the BBC, and it seems like a deal has all but been done.

Soldato
Mr Spew said:
"unbelievablely smooth multitouch functionality..."

Wait, have you used it?
No, but I have watched the entire keynote address in which Steve Jobs demonstrated a fully working prototype hooked up to the projection screen, have watched the demo videos on the Apple website and have seen an ABC News reporter larking about with one on television.

It's smooth.

Permabanned
BUSH said:
I really hope, a video ipod with harddrive is not too far down the line.
Eh I don't get this post, 30/60/80GB Video iPods have been out for a while, though you can't get 60 new anymore it's been overtaken by 80, they are hard drives though.

Anyway@ iPhone don't think I'll bother, got a 30GB iPod and the screen would do my head in. (Greasy)

Soldato
SkeeterPSA said:
Lol someone is filing a sue claim to apple cos they nicked the iphone trademark.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/mobiles--handhelds/iphone-trademark-lawsuit/2007/01/11/1168105088972.html
"cos they nicked the iphone trademark?" Not quite. Apple own rights to the trademark in both the United Kingdom and Australia; the Cisco lawsuit only covers the United States. Cisco sat on the trademark for years before utilising it, and were in the process of agreeing terms with Apple for use of the name. I'm guessing Cisco were requesting some inane licensing terms and Apple told them were to put them.

A few select quotes from Apple, via the BBC News article on the matter:

"We think Cisco's trademark lawsuit is silly," Apple spokesman Alan Hely said. "There are already several companies using the name iPhone for Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) products."

"We are the first company to ever use the iPhone name for a cell phone, and if Cisco wants to challenge us on it we are very confident we will prevail."
They did ask permission to use the name, they were in the process of coming to an agreement, Cisco presumably did something ridiculous and Apple decided to pull out.

I'm sure nothing will come of this, it's just the media jumping on the back of the buzz surrounding the iPhone.

Back
Top Bottom