Arcade High Scores! New Game Every Two Weeks

Soldato
OP
I've just found this thread and it's right up my street. Even though I'm absolutely useless I have just installed MAME and will give Frogger a go tonight but will try my best for the next game. Do we just say our score with 1 credit or screenshot?

I fully expect everyone here to play fair and not cheat. So, screenshots are preferable, especially if challenging for the top spots! I just aren't going to make them mandatory unless any cheating is suspected.

Soldato
OP
Yes, I don't understand why anyone would "cheat" on somethign like this... surely it's just for fun, and a way to encourage playing these again in order to relive those years in the arcade.

Just to make sure I've got it right... we're allowed as many 1 credit games as we like, we're just not allowed to insert a coin to "continue" the game ?

Yes that's correct, once that credit is gone, it's game over. No limits to how many times you can replay the game. Just post the score before deadline, if it's after it won't be counted. What you usually find with Arcade games, is when you continue using another credit, your score increases by 1 for each credit used. Other games will simply reset the score back to 0 on every new credit used.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@JoeBoi are you finished? :p Managed a 12820. I think I'm done with this game now though.

Do feel free to still pick the next game for us if the leaderboard stays the same!

GfvEhGY.png

Soldato
OP
No, that's approximate. I hadn't realised you were recording these unverified ones. I'll dig out the real scores later.

Ah okay. Yeah, I'm updating the OP as and when new scores are posted, so everyone knows what to aim for. While images are preferable, they aren't an requirement as I expect everyone here to play fair.

Soldato
OP
id say a weekly rather than bi-weekly game would be better though, i tend to lose interest after the first week.

Before we played Tapper, I had it down for a week with Donkey Kong. After a week, only I had posted any scores, so extended for a week to try get some more interest. By the end, I was still the only participant.

What do others think about this? If most would like to change, I don't mind swapping to weekly.

Also for future games, how would you guys feel if everyone just shoots games (as many as you like) at me with suggestions and I can do an online random picker for the next game?

Soldato
OP
@Metalface Mark, so with the feedback received from a few others, some do prefer the two weeks as it gives them more time to put in a decent attempt. I'm one of them also, as a lot of the times I never feel like playing, too tired, or kids want to play something on PC. If I made it 1 week, I think I'd be lucky to make one attempt some weeks.

What I can suggest for yourself (or anyone else who wants a little more, more often), is to simply just submit a score for a game and I can add a leaderboard for it and others may attempt to beat it should they wish (I know I will!). Or look at the current games with leaderboards and try adding a new high score to them.

Soldato
OP
Hey, I wanted to give my choice to @Metalface Mark if he is up for that? Edit: Have just re-read the rules, if that is an issue, happy for next player in line :).

Haha, nice position to put me in :D. Unfortunately I don't want to feel like @Zowghi and @cheesyboy would be missing out. So if they can collectively agree then yeah that's fine.

I'm still open to ideas regarding the way a new game is selected. There's a few different ways I've thought about.

a) we keep it as it is
b) we keep it as it is with the option to delegate to one person, but they then can't delegate to someone else (should both parties not want to pick, next in line picks)
c) everyone gets to pick up to 3 games each week they'd like to see played, I will use a website to randomly generate one game from the list.
d) ... open to everyone's ideas on how to proceed with this.

The only reason I'm thinking of deviating from the OP's rules, is if we get a week where nobody is selecting or taking ages, it delays being able to update the post ready for the next weeks.
Everyone, please let us know how you think games should be selected!

Soldato
OP
@cheesyboy (check post #134).

For next week I'm going to change to option C to try it out. So choose up to 3 options you'd like to see as the next game.

Have your selection in by the deadline.
You can select the same game as an option more than once.
More than one person can pick same game.
The more selections a game gets, the more chances it has to win.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Best so far is 18000. I think I prefer this over Shinobi, however, this to me feels more chaotic! Every step you face a new danger, some right after the other! Then you get passed and think you've got this, then BAM! a boulder comes flying out of nowhere and smacks you on the head!

Back
Top Bottom