Are refurb chairs risky?

Man of Honour
I have £550 to spend on an Office chair (this is a hard limit, I can't spend more).
This will just about get a Herman Miller Aeron refurb, but over half a grand seems a lot of money for a second-hand chair that could have been used and abused for hours every day.

Anything to look out for in terms of the various resellers?

Associate
I have £550 to spend on an Office chair (this is a hard limit, I can't spend more).
This will just about get a Herman Miller Aeron refurb, but over half a grand seems a lot of money for a second-hand chair that could have been used and abused for hours every day.

Anything to look out for in terms of the various resellers?
I bought a Herman Miller Says refurb and have been suitably impressed. It looked new on arrival and it just happens to be the best chair I have ever used after countless "gaming" types.

Soldato
Getting a refurbed chair from HM is no more risky than getting a refurbished device from Apple. Great way to save a few quid and unlike buying used you’ll be hard pressed to see any wear.

Last edited:
Associate
Got my Stealcase Leap pre CV from a small company via courier. It was reupholstered and has done a great job so far. I'd happily buy another from a well reviewed site if needed. Though i can't see it breaking any time.

Soldato
Sitting in my Ergohuman Plus I bought used for £194 +VAT. Brilliant chair, build quality is very good. Best bet is if you can go to a place that sells used office equipment and pick one out. You can get a very good chair for less than a pretty basic new one.

Associate
I managed to get a 2nd hand Aeron in 2018, lucky £340, still just as comfy. It seems to be that the base doesn't really soften.

Associate
I got a Steelcase Leap v2 refurb a bit before lockdown, so glad I had a great chair to get me through the pandemic lockdowns, still in great condition. no regrets

Associate
Look on facebay for a steelcase leap that needs some TLC. Essentially tanks, so should just be able to pop in some chair foam and reupholster all for well under £100 and some staple gun effort, and you get your choice of covering. Crandall (US refurbisher) has some good YouTube vids on how to do it, and your local Boyes or Dunelm or online fabric or foam shops are cheaper for materials than at least I thought they would be. £60 I paid for an old Leap v1 - nothing wrong apart from flat seat cushion. Good luck in your quest! :)

Permabanned
Look on facebay for a steelcase leap that needs some TLC. Essentially tanks, so should just be able to pop in some chair foam and reupholster all for well under £100 and some staple gun effort, and you get your choice of covering. Crandall (US refurbisher) has some good YouTube vids on how to do it, and your local Boyes or Dunelm or online fabric or foam shops are cheaper for materials than at least I thought they would be. £60 I paid for an old Leap v1 - nothing wrong apart from flat seat cushion. Good luck in your quest! :)
MacGyver asf!

Associate
I got a Herman Miller refurb and its been fine, basically just scuffs on the wheels and base bit. Didn't come boxed or anything, delivery chap just handed me a chair.

Soldato
Steelcase Leaps are pretty much indestructible I think mine isn't even refurb'd it was just the cheapest tiredest looking one out there (£100 incl. delivery bloke delivered it out the back of a tired looking van) and over five years later its still going strong. Legend.

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe it was just the vendor (who now no longer exist), but my experience with a Steelcase Please from 2ndhnd was disappointing. I wouldn't bother again unless I could see and test in person the specific chair I was buying. Decided it made more sense to go for the long term with an HM Mirra.

Back
Top Bottom