Are refurb chairs risky?

Associate
I'm another one with an indestructible Steelcase Leap V1. To answer your question, if the chair you are getting is a high quality chair then refurbs are generally ok.

Associate
Yeah, I also have a refurb steelcase leap v2 and it's excellent, would recommend. I've had it since March with no issues.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought a RH Logic 400 XL chair that was refurbished in leather. Was a bit of a risk as I bought online and was unable to see it or try it out.
Turns out they had done a sterling and professional job - I could be happier with it.

Soldato
I'd say it somewhat depends where you're getting it from. I got a refurbed Mirra2 from Corporate Spec after seeing someone on here recommend them. The only sign the chair had been used was some scuffs on the star base that hold the wheels. A little over 3 years of use of being my home office chair and my gaming chair, with 2ish of that being Covid, so it's seen a lot of use and still is a great chair.

I know someone with an Aeron (from new) that's easily 15 years old and still great. HM cost a lot but they certainly seem to have the quality to back it up.

Soldato
well refurb anything is risky, but more with companies who buy broken electronics and have a team dedicated to bodge them with inferior clone parts such as phone screens and batteries on iphones.

chairs from a reputable company would be far far less risky i feel, especially if they have a good reputation.

Soldato
it really depends on what price and where you are buying it from.

If you buy herman milller chair refurb firstly there is no 12 year warranty from herman miller, even if you buy from their outlet store a refurbished chair or buy a chair from someone else. For example a Embody gaming chair is appx £1100 on their outlet store. Its not worth that price because you loose the warranty, might as well pay the extra £400 for the warranty, they usually do 15-20% off quite regularly so wait for one of those price drops and pick one up.

if however you buy something like a refurbished Aeron for £600-£700 price range then its worth the risk. Very rarely do their chairs break. I don't like mesh chair so bought a embody gaming chair, however the aeron have a much nicer recline/tilt mechanism

Soldato
I bought a refurb Interstuhl Every from a local 2nd hand office supplier, they had loads of different chairs in stock and I was able to sit on them and try them out. No issues although only had it 3 months, very clean and sturdy with some minor scuffs on the wheels. When it eventually becomes time to get a new one I'll go back.

Soldato
Got my Stealcase Leap pre CV from a small company via courier. It was reupholstered and has done a great job so far. I'd happily buy another from a well reviewed site if needed. Though i can't see it breaking any time.

Going on 10 years with my refurbed Steelcase leap, all still in decent working order. Foam padding still in good condition etc.

Associate
I've had a second hand aeron for the last 6 years, still looks the same as the day I picked it up and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another used model from a reputable seller

Soldato
Just bought an new Aeron for £700 for the Mrs. On eBay. Came with tags and looks perfect. Obviously as mentioned technically no warranty if things go south but seems a great chair. I have a Steelcase Leap V1 refurb bought about 2016. Still going strong. Had to do a canister replacement a year or so ago, but the chair itself is v comfortable and in the grand scheme of things for musculoskeletal support hundreds of pounds now is well worth it down the line.

Back
Top Bottom