Are you a top revenue earner?

Caporegime
Shared ownership flat in Zone 6
Citreon c1 2016 - does that. count as a banger?
Married - No kids
Holidays planned this year - Center parcs ( paid for by parents) Turkey 1 week all inclusive, Budapest 3 nights

Where do i rank sir?

I'd put that somewhere in the OK - decent band.
But a lot depends on if that's your absolute limit. Or you're saving a lot at the same time.
And if you're happy.

We have a Peugeot 206, 2008 year (bit of a banger) but we choose this path as expensive/nice cars are a waste for me.
But my yearly holidays cost more than the cost of the entire car.

(I don't know what zone 6 is)

Soldato
I'd put that somewhere in the OK - decent band.
But a lot depends on if that's your absolute limit. Or you're saving a lot at the same time.
And if you're happy.

We have a Peugeot 206, 2008 year (bit of a banger) but we choose this path as expensive/nice cars are a waste for me.
But my yearly holidays cost more than the cost of the entire car.

(I don't know what zone 6 is)

Can save about £150 a month after holidays paid. Sorry i meant London - zone 6.

Man of Honour
I doubt most people truly ‘own’ their homes under 40… I don’t!
Some that don't 'own' their home could do if they bought a cheaper home though. The reason they don't own a home is because they want to live somewhere better so have borrowed money to allow them to do so.

Or to put it another way, some people don't fully own their homes but they have more equity than people that do, so it's their choice to live in an expensive mortgaged property instead of a cheaper owned outright one.

Man of Honour
Some that don't 'own' their home could do if they bought a cheaper home though. The reason they don't own a home is because they want to live somewhere better so have borrowed money to allow them to do so.

Or to put it another way, some people don't fully own their homes but they have more equity than people that do, so it's their choice to live in an expensive mortgaged property instead of a cheaper owned outright one.

Yes, but it’s also silly to live somewhere that affords a poor quality of life if you can otherwise afford to live somewhere that affords a good quality of life.

Even with cheaper homes, most young people still couldn’t afford to outright own them before the age of 40.

Associate
You think London salary of 95k is sufficient for good lifestyle? Guessing it is probably ok for living outside London and commuting in?
That's a fair challenge, my original comment was about a comparison between a Northern and London salary wise, and yes I think a salary of 95K in London will get you a similar lifestyle to 65K in the North.

Soldato
This is happening in Australia and New Zealand as well, they copy of lot from Britain and the minimum wage has been rising faster than inflation and the gap between minimum wage and middle income has narrowed a lot. As such there now are office workers earning just a little bit more than someone washing the dishes at McDonalds

The thing with that though, well, for New Zealand anyway, is sure, minimum wage might be $22.70 atm, for full time (40 hours), so you might clear $650 or so after tax, however, you're looking at $400 a week minimum to rent your own 1 bed place these days, unless you're happy with a room in a shared house for about $250-$300 a week! So you're hardly left with anything once you've paid your rent even at an inflated minimum wage!

Caporegime
The impact of minimum wage is to artificially mess with the labor market, rather than letting market forces determine wages.

I am not so much saying there is a problem, i was using an example of how someone is being overpaid, and underpaid.

But no, train drivers are paid more than their worth due to unions.

The cost of train tickets are absurd, and that is the situation, pay too much (FYI the entire rail system is ****, train drivers are not the only issue). And something which should be cheap is expensive.

Anyone here commuting via train, how much is it?

As for productivity, this is just a dream.
"Market forces" doesn't work. Honestly, there are so many areas of live where "market forces" alone would destroy the country. Literally, no hyperbole, if you let market forces alone dictate thing you would destroy society.

You'd only have electricity and gas and broadband and sewerage in big cities. There would be none in rural areas.

You'd have many jobs paying nothing, and staff relying on tips like in the good ol' US of A.

You'd have people only surviving on hand-outs.

It would be ruinous, and I mean that sincerely. Market forces alone would be the worst kind of dystopia you or I could dream of.

And what's more - we've been there, done that. Just turn the clock back a little. You can see then a time before "state interference" where people starved and died in gutters and everything was driven mostly be those market forces you love. Care to go back to those times?

Associate
Net worth by age is probably a better measure of how well you're doing than how much do you earn, are you a property owner with/without a mortgage, where do you live and all the lifestyle spend metrics. High earning does give some indication of future potential, but you may well ***** it.

I'm sad enough that I track my NW on a monthly basis and look forward to the monthly calc :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Care to go back to those times?

I find there is no shortage of people who'd love to go back to those times, because they always envision themselves being on top and can't imagine it otherwise - but the first and loudest ones complaining when the boot is on the other foot.

Soldato
£100k to £200k (I'm also accounting for USD to GBP) - Software Engineer. I highly doubt I will be in the 'golden handcuffs' of 200+ anytime soon lol. These days, I think the only way to really get rich is either do investment, or have your own business.

Last edited:

nam

nam

Soldato
£100k to £200k (I'm also accounting for USD to GBP) - Software Engineer. I highly doubt I will be in the 'golden handcuffs' of 200+ anytime soon lol. These days, I think the only way to really get rich is either do investment, or have your own business.
Or sell forex trading courses on IG and tiktok :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Net worth by age is probably a better measure of how well you're doing than how much do you earn, are you a property owner with/without a mortgage, where do you live and all the lifestyle spend metrics. High earning does give some indication of future potential, but you may well ***** it.

I'm sad enough that I track my NW on a monthly basis and look forward to the monthly calc :(
You're not the only one lol. It's a nice little visual of growth seeing my mortgage go down and savings up, if only by a small amount. Im just glad to be debt free (mortgage aside) really.

Soldato
I find it hard to believe that flash cars and exotic holidays are the only things in life that you find enjoyable. Don’t make me summon @moon man to lecture you on enjoying the simpler things. :p
Well I do have a board meeting in an hour or so ;)

Screenshot-2024-03-06-11-41-42-46-99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Back
Top Bottom