Ark: Survival Evolved - Dinosaur MMO/Survival PVP funz!

I haz 4090!
Don
How does it actually play at those frames? I cant imagine its quite so bad playing at 30fps as there isnt the same competitive element. Might not be as nice, but im hoping locking it to 30fps it'll feel acceptable.

It doesn't play too badly to be honest at 30fps. It shockingly optimised though! The FPS I was getting last night was also when I was stood on an empty beach on my own. Those Dodos - too many polygons!

Associate
OP
Argh, I want this but Witcher 3, Destiny and Batman: AK upcoming. Too many games!

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if I can talk some friends into hopping on with me.

Keep the impressions coming chaps!

Soldato
Well it feels a lot more stable. I I have crafted an axe and currently gathering stones for a fire. Mix of medium/low at a comfortable framerate. It's like tryihng to play Crysis 1 on my old computer again :D

http://i.imgur.com/IKt1liJ.jpg Those jaggies though. If I play fullscreen, the mouse and menu options etc do not match up making it near impossible to click.

Last edited:
Soldato
Argh, I want this but Witcher 3, Destiny and Batman: AK upcoming. Too many games!

I'll give it a couple of weeks and see if I can talk some friends into hopping on with me.

Keep the impressions coming chaps!

I wouldn't bother with Destiny at all.... The main story was OK at best but pretty short and then it turns into a grind fest to get anywhere.

Majorly over hyped game.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't bother with Destiny at all.... The main story was OK at best but pretty short and then it turns into a grind fest to get anywhere.

Majorly over hyped game.

Well, I've been enjoying(more or less) it since it came out but yes, it is a bit of a grind fest although that has been alleviated somewhat with the latest bit of DLC.

I'm guessing there'll be regular wipes of this? I'd hate to join it in a month or so and everyone is already riding around on T-Rex's, armoured up to the gills with lasers shooting out their eyeballs. I'd kinda feel a bit underpowered coming into combat with them with nothing but a stone axe and loincloth :D

Soldato
Absolutely no idea. But running somewhat comfortable with medium/high settings. When you're on let me know the server, because after 5 minutes of playing I forget :D

Last play I manageed to craft a foundation, a spear, an axe and pair of trousers.

Associate
Well it feels a lot more stable. I I have crafted an axe and currently gathering stones for a fire. Mix of medium/low at a comfortable framerate. It's like tryihng to play Crysis 1 on my old computer again :D

http://i.imgur.com/IKt1liJ.jpg Those jaggies though. If I play fullscreen, the mouse and menu options etc do not match up making it near impossible to click.

By any chance are you using an Ultrawide monitor, or an uncommon resolution?

Theres been some games where ive had this issue, developers seem to forget to account for whats being sold in the marketplace and UW definitely seems to get screwed over in this respect.
You could understand it if it was pokey little startup indie developers with a list of priorities and this falls way down the list, but The Crew and FarCry4, both Ubisoft titles, they had effects which only existed within the typical 16:9 type window, and outside of that they'd end. So when you're in the alps in FC4, you've got a snow on the screen... or at least 3/4 of it. The Crew - flashing police lights which only cover 3/4 of the screen etc.

X:COM had clicks which didnt match up with the cursor position, which for a tactical game with so many spaces you can move, is fairly lethal when it puts you somewhere you dont want to be!

I think ive decided im just going to be watching this one on the sidelines. Im not going to be lured in by the 17% discount (it'll come round again later on, and likely more) or the fancy saddle (starting with a free saddle is handy though). If that multipack was still available, sure, but im not paying £76 for 4 copies so ive got mates playing it too (which would have been about £55 in a 4pk), and one of them reiterated the fact that they werent remotely interested (cos of all the EA) but immediately changed his tune when i said i was planning on getting a 4pk.

The post they made last night saying Steam said they couldnt, and they're pleading with them, was deleted 3hrs later, although comments of them saying Steam advised them not to (why, we dont know - gifting refunds?), and they decided not to. But its all rather dubious, and i'm really disappointed to be missing out, but i'll wait for a sale and things to settle down i guess. Maybe in 3mo or so my mates will happily buy their own copy too. stranger things have happened :D

Soldato
It's alright, a 6/10 at best in my book. Plenty of items to craft and lots of engrams to unlock as you level. The health, stamina etc systems are great. If you're out of stamina in the middle of the ocean you drown as you would expect.

Edit: For giggles I tried 4K thinking my system would lolnope. But.. 35fps on Medium. Res scaling middle, sky and ground clutter 1/3rd of the bar up. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/9fh94C1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom