"Asda Magic"

Soldato
OP
Should I wear a polo shirt and smart trousers/shoes for the interview? It says that I'll be doing practical tasks and on the shop floor so dress appropriately, they say smart casual, so would dark blue polo shirt be ok?

Caporegime
I was trying to explain this to someone on here a while ago, they were complaining that Tesco were selling stuff going out of date that day and how much work actually goes into getting it into store etc, retail's a lot more than you think :)

no its not, watch some undercover boss episodes theres a few retail ones and the work is bloody easy

Soldato
At my ASDA interview, I was the only one in a shirt and tie. I was the only one they employed.

You won't be doing anything that strenuous, more than likely it'll just be a wonder around. You won't be trained to do most of the jobs.

Soldato
OP
At my ASDA interview, I was the only one in a shirt and tie. I was the only one they employed.

You won't be doing anything that strenuous, more than likely it'll just be a wonder around. You won't be trained to do most of the jobs.

They did say smart casual though?

As the selection event is practical, please dress appropriately for the event, something smart but casual would be perfect (no trainers please). You want to make the right impression but obviously you’ll be getting involved on the shop floor so nothing too formal.

Man of Honour
Seriously?

The carp you have go through these days for a basic job is ridiculous, silly group interview then if your lucky another 1 on 1 interview.

These days? It was the same way back.
Group interview. Which first off all you had to find out about the person sat next to you, then introduce them to the group and talk about them, name, history, hobbies etc.
Then we were split into smaller groups and had to design an advert whilst being watched, then present it to the whole group.
Things like that. I doubt it's changed in 13years.

Same as above, always Better to overdress than underdress IMO, you can always take ties and jackets off.

Last edited:
Soldato
They did say smart casual though?

You'll also have a 1 to 1 interview though. You can take off your tie and jacket for the shop floor stuff. In fact, doing so and rolling up the sleeves will demonstrate you're keen to get involved. Plus, a polo shirt isn't smart casual.

Associate
I work in retail, its amazing how many people think its simple and not really a demanding job and think that stuff turns up in a van you put it out and go home.. It's quite amusing watching there face when I explain just what a "typical" day en-tales for me at which point they openly admit they couldn't do what I do hah.

On the self service bit I and a few others were getting till trained and asked if I had any questions so I asked "so is the plan to replace tills on a whole and go self service? at this rate few people are going to be losing there jobs arent they" lol and she sort of looked a bit puzzled and said she hadnt thought about that and looked quite distressed when actually thinking about it.

I find different stores are hit and miss with self service, Morrisons imo are absolutely shockingly bad tills to use as self service, tesco too but not near enough as bad as morridogs, Asda and sainsburys are the only ones I prefer to go to self service in really.

Soldato
Evil - None of the shop floor staff work as hard as we do in home shopping! ;)

Well I'd not be wearing a jacket anyway, I was planning on just smart shirt, trousers and shoes, and maybe a tie.

Smart shirt, trousers and shoes will do. Though I'd turn up with a tie, it can also be taken off plus it's a really good prop!

If you're wearing a tie, wear a jacket. It just looks really odd.

Man of Honour
I work in retail, its amazing how many people think its simple and not really a demanding job , .

it is very simple and not very demanding. Frustrating deal with the public or can be physical if in warehouse, but the body after a few weeks soon gets use to exercise.

Associate
it is very simple and not very demanding. Frustrating deal with the public or can be physical if in warehouse, but the body after a few weeks soon gets use to exercise.

I've done my job for 2 years now I don't mind it one bit im not going to deny once your into it you just go with the flow but my point is people don't realise what you actually do or put up with, retail is and can be unpredictable then again everything i've just said is for anything job related or not surely?

People seem to think your a shelf stacker when you say you work in a supermarket as many do with me though I don't do it quite as often as I would like, my job entails some responsibility because if I didn't do it properly a few hundred people would lose out.

I absolutely love grumpy customers and ones that don't listen when you say "its on aisle 2" "but ive been there its not there" "if you'd like to follow me Ill show you" "oh....well I didn't look there".

The only things that annoys me is people walking backwards with there trolleys with one hand hah though it is amusing to watch.

@Akleckz - im guessing your refering to the online department or dotCOM or whatever tesco call it? :p

Associate
http://www.vwv.co.uk/site/briefings...ine2_job_applicant_with_Aspergers_030611.html

im autistic and earn 40k + bonuses yet i would fail to get a job at a supermarket or anywhere else that uses group interviews even though i could do the job easily.

i have no problem dealing with customers but when it comes to making friends or role playing scenarios i just cant do it.

nice way of weeding out all autistic people then even though they are protected under the discimination act

Weird, you stated that you have retired:

in my working day before i retired.
2 yes i did.

Soldato
So after escaping retail in December and thinking I'd be rid of it for life, it seems I'm destined to make a return. Got one of these glorious-sounding Asda Magic interviews on Wednesday evening for a part-time job while I sort the rest of my life out and decide what I'm going to do with it.

I've read through the thread and it all seems straightforward enough (although if they try to make us sing I'll walk), anyone done one of these more recently who can weigh-in?

The other thing that gets me "smart casual"; everyone has different ideas of what this means apparently. Jeans, decent shoes and a shirt? Smart trousers? Tuxedo?

Associate
I actually did one of these ASDA magic sessions 2 years ago. Basically a day of team building, individual interview, trying to promote a product in front of the group. I went fairly smart, shirt tie and black trousers. I was already working for Morrisons at the time, and Asda offered me a supervisors position from the off because they said I had experience and excelled in the interview (it was in a brand new store). Morrisons counter offered to keep me with the same supervisor position but better pay and less commuting, so I declined ASDA. Was pretty decent all in all, and as I 'worked' for ASDA for 2 days, I incurred 2 weeks of holiday pay! Bonus!

Also, just quit retail for ever to go and get my masters degree and have a job I enjoy. Retail truly is a terrible job!

Associate
So after escaping retail in December and thinking I'd be rid of it for life, it seems I'm destined to make a return. Got one of these glorious-sounding Asda Magic interviews on Wednesday evening for a part-time job while I sort the rest of my life out and decide what I'm going to do with it.

I've read through the thread and it all seems straightforward enough (although if they try to make us sing I'll walk), anyone done one of these more recently who can weigh-in?

The other thing that gets me "smart casual"; everyone has different ideas of what this means apparently. Jeans, decent shoes and a shirt? Smart trousers? Tuxedo?

I'm guessing there might be differences depending on if it's a morning or afternoon event, but my most recent didn't have an interview (it was an afternoon appointment, so that might be why), the introduction part was slightly different to the one I had a few years ago and the group had to watch a few videos which also didn't happen the previous time.

As for the clothing, since you'll be spending time on the shop floor you shouldn't turn up in a suit and if I remember correctly there are some limitations as to what you can wear (I believe they say that you shouldn't wear trainers).

Associate
When I joined M&S years ago, I had to do the usual 1 on 1 but also have go onto the sales floor to talk to customers, asked about their experience etc. but nowadays is more or less just a quick interview with the assessor and "do you know someone that's already works here....."

Back
Top Bottom