** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Soldato
oh lord :( hopes entirely dashed now, looks like it will be one of the other freesync panels for me then, except the LG ones as they are a total joke it seems :(

Man of Honour
let's wait for official word from Asus (rep is checking) and some actual third party tests before we all get too disappointed!

Soldato
So the freesync range for this monitor is only 35Hz-90Hz, meaning at 91Hz-144Hz there will be no freesync enabled?

Whilst I agree it is certainly a disappointment (if true), but I just wonder in real-world gaming experience, does not having freesync support for the 91Hz-144Hz range matter too much? I mean on my 120Hz monitor, dropping from 120fps down to 90fps I bearly noticed it...it is only when it drop all the way down to 60-70fps that's become quite noticable. So if Freesync is enabled from 90Hz downward, it's probably not as big a issue in real-world as the spec on paper seem to suggest?

Caporegime
Yeah tbh after having a think about it, it is a non issue imo.

1. the lowest range is now 35 instead of 40, which imo is better than having the max range up to 144 as chances are you will be dipping to sub 40 fps more often than having a constant 100+FPS
2. from what I have read about free/g sync so far, supposedly you have a very hard time telling the difference between 100+fps and 60fps when the sync tech is enabled

Not sure why they can't go from 35 all the way up to 144 though :/

Either way, I have a funny feeling that this monitor is going to suffer bleed and dead pixel issues on a large scale like the acer, if so, I think I am just going with the samsung 34" VA monitor, no sync tech is a damn shame though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah you do have a hard time between 100 and 60 when the tech is working, but with this monitor if it's limited to 90 the difference will be noticeable easily if your framerate goes above 90, you might think you don't notice tearing but when you've used the tech it becomes a lot more apparent when it's not working.

You could have course limit your frames to just under 90 but it sort of defeats the purpose on a 144hz screen.

Caporegime
True, I suppose it depends on the user and their rig.

For myself, I would very rarely have a constant 70+ FPS with max settings (without aa)

Soldato
You could have course limit your frames to just under 90 but it sort of defeats the purpose on a 144hz screen.

This. Just seems like a bit of an oversight. Are the Acer and BenQ 35hz-144hz for freesync? Is it a limitation of being an IPS panel??

I've gone down the refund route for now, sit on the fence and see what happens...

Caporegime
Its a conspiracy to make gsync look that much better so "moar monies!!!!"

:D

Just kidding.

...Or am I?

I am fascinated to hear the technical reason for such a limitation tbh, it seems strange that a 120hz+ panel is limited to 90hz for Freesync. I suppose this is the downside to open standards - specifications are all over the place. It's pretty shady practice though if this is an artificial limitation due to this monitor being part of their "mainstream gaming" line opposed to "premium gaming" line.

Last edited:
Soldato
True, I suppose it depends on the user and their rig.

For myself, I would very rarely have a constant 70+ FPS with max settings (without aa)
That's the thing...there's always the limitation of CPU/directx preventing us from getting constant 90fps+ even when GPU isn't the bottleneck...hopefully directx 12 would solve this issue in the future.

Soldato
Agree why would I spend more on a panel that has less response time but better a better image overall but could potentially suffer from horrendous back light bleeding and to cap it off has a gimped range on the main reason I would buy it?

Pending reviews I'm already leaning towards the BenQ option

Associate
This monitor is pointless, for a simple reason.

I found 1 980 not enough to regularly exceed 60fps at 1440p.

Given that a 290x is weaker than a 980 in the most part, how will you run it with one 290x?

Freesync doesn't work with crossfire, and AMD have now delayed it until "who knows when".

So long as it still works with Freesync turned off its not really an issue. Just because Freesync crossfire support is not finished yet hardly renders the screen useless, its still a 144hz 1440p IPS panel at the end of the day.

Associate
So long as it still works with Freesync turned off its not really an issue. Just because Freesync crossfire support is not finished yet hardly renders the screen useless, its still a 144hz 1440p IPS panel at the end of the day.

Freesync is a significant feature of the monitor. I wouldn't have bought the RoG Swift without GSync - in fact, I had 7970/7990 trifire when I first got it, waiting for the 980, and I hated it.

If you don't care about freesync, just buy one of the overclockable korean 1440p monitors.

£500 on a monitor with freesync that isn't really usable because AMD still can't write a driver doesn't seem good.

Associate
Freesync is a significant feature of the monitor. I wouldn't have bought the RoG Swift without GSync - in fact, I had 7970/7990 trifire when I first got it, waiting for the 980, and I hated it.

If you don't care about freesync, just buy one of the overclockable korean 1440p monitors.

£500 on a monitor with freesync that isn't really usable because AMD still can't write a driver doesn't seem good.

The main selling point for me is the high refresh rate IPS panel. I've managed without freesync fine up to now so whats another month or two, like I said its a non issue.

Back
Top Bottom