** ASUS DO IT AGAIN: IPS, 144Hz & FREESYNC!!! Asus MG279Q thread **

Caporegime
^^

My main concern about this asus screen is just backlight bleed and severe IPS glow, as seen with the acer, even though it is probably the best all round monitor out atm, people are not sticking with it purely because of the severe bleed/glow, that one thing alone can kill interest for any monitor :(

In fact any word about that Jim? How you and ocuk plan to handle monitors with bad back light bleed/severe IPS glow?

You laugh, but you may know that the MG279Q when announced was a 120 Hz monitor as we hadn't gained 144 Hz accreditation at that stage - though it was always planned.

I genuinely received messages (not on OcUK though) sent to me complaining that if it was only 120 Hz and not 144 Hz they weren't interested and why even bother releasing it.

So to some people, it apparently does make a big difference. Whether you could actually tell between 120 and 144 Hz in a double-blind test... I'm not so sure. But it's not just a case of marketing epeen :)

Honestly, I can't think of a single reason outside of marketing, most people can't even get a constant 120fps let alone 144FPS so I genuinely think it is just down to "higher number must mean better" market term to the "causal joes", much like mobile phones with regards to the megapixel of the camera and resolution of the screen

Caporegime
If there's no tangible benefit then they are just buying into marketing epeen Jim.

I'm sure there's a graph somewhere showing response times between 60, 120 and 144hz.

Edit: Not response times but motion blur is reduced further so I guess you could argue there's a benefit.

aQkOIO1.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Motion blur and response time are the same, at least I am pretty sure they are anyway!

Refresh rate does play a part in pixel response time, however, I think it is more down to the panel and overdrive settings.

What site is that from?

Soldato
I just want a quality monitor for a decent price. But it seems nobody can actually make one. If the MLG goons want 2560x1440 @ 144hz they can buy the swift!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Motion blur and response time are the same, at least I am pretty sure they are anyway!

Refresh rate does play a part in pixel response time, however, I think it is more down to the panel and overdrive settings.

What site is that from?

both response time and refresh rate have an impact on perceived blurring and ghosting. The graph posted above relates to the MPRT (motion picture response time) and Blurbusters used this method to explain the level of blur perceived to the user on LCD sample and hold type displays at different refresh rates.

It's quite a common misconception that you only need 16.6ms response times at 60HZ for a blur free image, and "only" 8.3ms at 120hz and so on, but that's not the case.

at 60Hz you are refreshing the screen with a new frame every 16.6ms. At 120Hz every 8.3ms and at 144Hz every 6.94ms. You need pixel response times to be AT LEAST this fast to be able to cope with the demand of the frame rate. this is one of the reasons we haven't seen any high refresh rate IPS-type panels until very recently, as it hasn't been possible for manufacturers to drive response times low enough to make them worthwhile (and without significant overshoot becoming a problem). It's also the reason why on overclocked Korean IPS screens you get a lot of blurring and ghosting, despite the high refresh rate, as they aren't fast enough really to keep up with the frame rate.

So you need response time to be consistently and reliably under those figures to make the refresh rate viable/sensible. For a 60Hz panel there is still a significant and noticeable difference in blurring and ghosting on a screen with a 16ms response time, vs one with a 3ms response time for arguments sake. even though they are both under the limit needed. However, if you drive response times low enough, you get in to the realms of diminishing returns, where the response time no longer becomes the determining factor for perceived motion blur. From that point, increasing the refresh rate is the next way to reduce motion blur, and does have another major impact.

So yes, there are some small advantages at running at 144Hz compared with 120Hz, from a perceived motion blur point of view. that's why BlurBusters' MPRT graph is showing.

beyond that, the best way to further reduce and even eliminate perceived blur is through the use of blur reduction backlights, which really does make a huge differences.

Have a look for instance at the pursuit camera tests in the Acer XB270HU review (which also includes the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q). That gives you an idea of the actual levels of blur you would experience as a user with the naked eye at each refresh rate, and then with and without blur reduction mode enabled.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Soldato
So are we expecting stock next week now? Should we start getting excited? Will I have an exciting freesync monitor for the Witcher release?

Join us next week to find out!

Associate
You laugh, but you may know that the MG279Q when announced was a 120 Hz monitor as we hadn't gained 144 Hz accreditation at that stage - though it was always planned.

I genuinely received messages (not on OcUK though) sent to me complaining that if it was only 120 Hz and not 144 Hz they weren't interested and why even bother releasing it.

So to some people, it apparently does make a big difference. Whether you could actually tell between 120 and 144 Hz in a double-blind test... I'm not so sure. But it's not just a case of marketing epeen :)

Jim, without any philosophizing, I will buy your MG279Q if it supports 120Hz FreeSync and have great picture quality. I see difference between 90Hz and 120Hz!
So 120Hz FreeSync & 120Hz refresh rate, I don't care about advertised 144Hz. Thanks.

Soldato
^^

My main concern about this asus screen is just backlight bleed and severe IPS glow, as seen with the acer, even though it is probably the best all round monitor out atm, people are not sticking with it purely because of the severe bleed/glow, that one thing alone can kill interest for any monitor :(

In fact any word about that Jim? How you and ocuk plan to handle monitors with bad back light bleed/severe IPS glow?

Honestly, I can't think of a single reason outside of marketing, most people can't even get a constant 120fps let alone 144FPS so I genuinely think it is just down to "higher number must mean better" market term to the "causal joes", much like mobile phones with regards to the megapixel of the camera and resolution of the screen

A good reason for 144hz would be if you are not using adaptive sync you get vsync at 36 - 48 - 72 - 144 hz, so vsync without triple buffering would be better if you want to use that eg. have nvidia card and TB does not work well in game.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thanks for the detailed response badass.

A good reason for 144hz would be if you are not using adaptive sync you get vsync at 36 - 48 - 72 - 144 hz, so vsync without triple buffering would be better if you want to use that eg. have nvidia card and TB does not work well in game.

I suppose!

I am really looking forward to seeing feedback for this monitor and can't wait to read badass's/pcm2's reviews, if all is good and there is no backlight bleed with little IPS glow then I reckon this monitor will last me until either OLED or 34" 1440 144HZ 21.9 g/free sync comes about!

EDIT:

I am guessing we aren't likely to see these in stock for the 8th???

Caporegime
As posted above, freesync can work as low as 9hz and up to 144hz, it is down to the monitor manufacturers so for now on this particular monitor, yes freesync will only work up to 90hz, Jim the asus rep is looking into it.

For all the current gsync screens, I think they work from 30-144hz.

Lets hope this guy was just unlucky, although for some reason I think the majority of these are going to have bad bleed as well....

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/monitore/387168-gerade-den-mg279q-bekommen-3.html

The swift next to the asus IPS.

Kr97O96h.jpg

Also, supposedly the site where these guys have got their monitors from have pulled the monitor, any idea why Jim?

Associate
Also, supposedly the site where these guys have got their monitors from have pulled the monitor, any idea why Jim?

Without knowing which site, I couldn't say. But I would expect OcUK to be one of the first in the UK that receives it through official channels, so if another site has got them before OcUK it could be a grey import or similar? Only a guess though, given that I don't know who it is.

Caporegime
Ah ok, I can't name/link the site on here, competitor's rules and all that.

BTW, do you know a guy called Sonam who works in the FAE & technical marketing department for ASUS?

Back
Top Bottom