• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus HD 7970 Matrix Platinum 3072MB GDDR5 **IN STOCK**

Associate
Why would it naturally go in the top slot? I would prefer it that way too but for benching you could put the Gigabyte on top so you had a bit of a gap. Should be able to run both at 1200MHz comfortably (or would you be aiming higher?). You could always test the matrix on its own in the top slot.

Soldato
Why would it naturally go in the top slot? I would prefer it that way too but for benching you could put the Gigabyte on top so you had a bit of a gap. Should be able to run both at 1200MHz comfortably (or would you be aiming higher?). You could always test the matrix on its own in the top slot.

Best clocker goes in top slot from experience :).

Would want at least 1250 to be fair to make it worthwhile.

Permabanned
According to other reviews it's the best one out there clocking higher than 1300. Reviews are hit and miss.

when its a review from a trusted source such as overclock3d then its not hit and miss, when the man spends 36 minutes going over the card and saying "just get a 7970" it aint hit and miss, it isnt the best one out there and as said its just asus milking the ROG brand.

Heres the review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRr2FP1uME&feature=g-user-u

Soldato
when its a review from a trusted source such as overclock3d then its not hit and miss, when the man spends 36 minutes going over the card and saying "just get a 7970" it aint hit and miss, it isnt the best one out there and as said its just asus milking the ROG brand.

Heres the review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLRr2FP1uME&feature=g-user-u

No, it IS hit and miss. He just got a bad pick that's all. There's not one manufacturer that can provide a better GPU than another, it's everything around it that matters. All ASUS are doing among other things, is their best to provide you with the best batch of GPUs they can get with the best equipment and power to supply it with.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/16/asus_matrix_hd_7970_platinum_video_card_review/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_matrix_hd7970_platinum/4.htm

http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-rog-matrix-hd-7970-platinum-3gb-review/17273-5.html

Just get a 7970? I'd rather pay more and get a behemoth of a card that is more likely (NOT PROMISE) to yield better clocks, run MUCH cooler and quieter, look fantastic and come with a heap of accessories.
A lot of effort went into making these cards and supporting them as well, especially if you've got a ROG board.

I think it's worth paying the extra, if you don't then fair enough, we're all entitled to our opinions and tastes.

Last edited:
Permabanned
1 thing i think is quite unfair of asus though is that they didnt cherry pick the gpu's for this card, meaning you could get one that performs exactly like a standard stock 7970 or if your lucky one which clocks way past a stock 7970 which is quite annoying considering the price of the things.

Soldato
A lot of effort went into making these cards and supporting them as well, especially if you've got a ROG board.

I think it's worth paying the extra, if you don't then fair enough, we're all entitled to our opinions and tastes.

+1

There are more reviews singing the praises of this card than not,
but reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Its a enthusiasts card after all said and done and you will pay
a slight premium for that.

As for overclocking we know its a lottery, but I would imagine
you'd stand a better chance with a card like this than a vanilla one.

I'm sure others will disagree.
You pays your money and you take the chance:)

I should know,
I've lost count of the flops I've bought :D

OcUK Staff
According to overclock3d/tinytomlogan's 36 minute review on this thing on youtube its not any better than a standard 7970 and he found a stock 7970 can overclock higher, its just asus trying to milk the ROG brand.

Tiny Tom Logan !!! Oh dear!!! He cant clock anything!!! He banned me from there forum after he said a 3930K cant do 2400mhz mem and I showed the user with proof it can easy and then I showed him 2600 too!!!

No reasoning just banned me!!!

That guy is clueless!!!!!

Soldato
1 thing i think is quite unfair of asus though is that they didnt cherry pick the gpu's for this card, meaning you could get one that performs exactly like a standard stock 7970 or if your lucky one which clocks way past a stock 7970 which is quite annoying considering the price of the things.

These GPUs are binned/cherry picked (confirmed by ROG and our in house ROG expert 8 Pack), meaning they are the better ones. There are always ones lacking, you can't get all perfect.
In fact, it could be that the GPU is capable of higher but another component is lacking on their board.

Or they're incompetent at over clocking their sample. Who knows?

Edit: Speaking of the devil (8 Pack), here he is now! Ahahahaha!~

Soldato
Tiny Tom Logan !!! Oh dear!!! He cant clock anything!!! He banned me from there forum after he said a 3930K cant do 2400mhz mem and I showed the user with proof it can easy and then I showed him 2600 too!!!

No reasoning just banned me!!!

That guy is clueless!!!!!

Lmao!
I am an average skilled overclocker and i can get 2400MHz out of my sammy green on my not so great 3930K...

OcUK Staff
Just noticed the stock memory speed of the Matrix Platinum compared to others :o
How high does the memory clock on average?

7500+ Vantage, Unigen. 7900+ 11, 06,05,03 and 01. When gaming 7970 reference I run 7200.

Loads of voltage does not always pay dividends in the memory clocking stakes ECC correction kicks in and yuor results are worse if you push mhz too high.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Its on the list guys. I do my clocking for HWbot points and the card I am working on at the mo is ultimately worth as many pioints to me as a 7970 at 1600 mhz. I have vantage and 01 to topple when I do. This is next!!!

Good 7970 dont deep freeze that well to be honest. They loose display at -80 totally. So it takes time to set up the cascade with enough alu plates between the GPU and cascade head to give you the temps the GPU you have likes. Then the memory may cold bug then you have to heat it with a hair dryer. Its not that easy to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any update on this rossi ??? :D

Just downloading drivers. Posting this at default 800x600 :p

Out with the old and in with the new.
img0853va.jpg

Back
Top Bottom