Asus MW221U 22" Ghosting in games.

OcUK Staff
Baddass said:
quite possibly some overdrive trailing there. Does it make any difference if you run at 60Hz or 75Hz refresh rate?

Hi there

I'd agree with Baddass here myself.
Me personally would never buy anything with sub 4ms response time. As in general I find a decent quality 16ms (8-12ms Grey-to-Grey) panel absolutely fine.

The panels with sub 4ms response times are generally using very harsh overdrive/accelerators to get that response time. The downside to this is quality then tends to lack in other areas such as sharpness within general applications. Noise in DVD's and ghosting like your experiencing etc.

Its a shame these super-fast monitors don't have an option to disable their overdrive as I am sure the result would be positive.

I went from a Mitsubishi 900u Pro which is regarded as one of the best CRT's to a DELL 30" LCD which is around 16ms response. I've seen no ghosting/trailing and I'd never go back to CRT, its superb. So from my point of view I fail to see how anything below 8ms response can be beneficial without having to sacrifice quality elsewhere which tends to be the case on the 1ms, 2ms and 3ms panels especially with some also having issues on the 4ms and 5ms units too.

Associate
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Me personally would never buy anything with sub 4ms response time. As in general I find a decent quality 16ms (8-12ms Grey-to-Grey) panel absolutely fine.

The panels with sub 4ms response times are generally using very harsh overdrive/accelerators to get that response time. The downside to this is quality then tends to lack in other areas such as sharpness within general applications. Noise in DVD's and ghosting like your experiencing etc.

Its a shame these super-fast monitors don't have an option to disable their overdrive as I am sure the result would be positive.

I went from a Mitsubishi 900u Pro which is regarded as one of the best CRT's to a DELL 30" LCD which is around 16ms response. I've seen no ghosting/trailing and I'd never go back to CRT, its superb. So from my point of view I fail to see how anything below 8ms response can be beneficial without having to sacrifice quality elsewhere which tends to be the case on the 1ms, 2ms and 3ms panels especially with some also having issues on the 4ms and 5ms units too.

You've seen no ghosting on a 16ms screen? :D

That goes against everything the internet says regarding tfts.

The asus MW221U shouldnt ghost, or it should be barely noticable. I have spoken to various ppl with this screen who have said theres no visible ghosting.

I'd say RMA time.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
.:dhry:. SiroVa said:

The asus MW221U shouldnt ghost, or it should be barely noticable. I have spoken to various ppl with this screen who have said theres no visible ghosting.

I'd say RMA time.

Hi there

Well its a DELL 30" and I've seen some quote it as been 8/12ms so maybe its faster than 16ms.

Either way coming from a CRT to this and I love it. :)

Soldato
I have a 16ms Philips 170X5 and have no ghosting what so ever, as long as you have a good quality panel then 16ms is fine really.

On cheaper makes and panels, then you're probably going to suffer from it.

Man of Honour
rapid64k said:
is this a limitation of this TFT or is that the norm for all TFT's while using DVI?

depends on the resolution used. I'm pretty sure at 1920 x 1200, DVI bandwidth is limited to 60Hz, but at 1680 x 1050, 75Hz can be achievable....some models will support this, and some won't depending on the interface chips and controllers used. Refer to your monitor manual and spec to see what the "maximum" settings are.

Only reason i suggested it is that often running outside of the recommended 60Hz refresh rate can affect overdrive control. If what you are seeing is overdrive trailing, then maybe running at 75Hz might help reduce what you see...

Man of Honour

I'd say RMA time.

not if you look back to reviews and discussion a couple of years ago. I remember back when people stated quite definitively that 16ms was perfectly fine for gaming and most users could not see any ghosting in practice. This was when 16ms was the fastest available (the days of the famed Hitachi CML174SX :)). In practice, there is not much improvement as you move between generations (we're talking TN Film here, since at this time, PVA, MVA and IPS were not really aimed at the response time concious users). So there was minimal real difference in practice from 16ms > 12ms > 8ms....just a change in what was recorded with equipment, but no real difference to what the eye could see.

There was a significant improvement with the advent of overdrive technologies, which is why the fastest screens are now considered more suitable. As Gibbo has said though, if an individual finds a 16ms screen (or however fast a screen you have - note: the Dell 3007WFP is 14ms ISO / 11ms G2G ;)) suitable for their needs, they dont need to get a faster screen. It is a shame to make the sacrifices that aggressive RTC / overdrive can lead to in other areas if you don't need it. Obviously this is all down to the individual, and their gaming requirements. Most people are more than happy with the non-overdriven 8ms / 5mws generation (just look at all the Samsung 913N, Hyundai L90D+ owners for instance!). The aggressive use of overdrive can lead to some issues as Gibbo has listed, including what this thread is about, unwanted overdrive trailing and overshoot.

Some overdriven panels control this more than others. Samsung have often had issues with their overdrive / MagicSpeed control, and in some cases the trailing and movie noise is too much. Some models like the 940BF even let you turn the overdrive off via the OSD, and some people have done this and found it more usable. Other models like the Viewsonic VX922 have a better overdrive control (thanks to other elements of their ClearMotiv suite largely) and so issues like this are less pronounced

Soldato
OP

I'd say RMA time.

I agree it shouldn't ghost as that is a feature in the specs. It does only ghost in specific situations as i said i.e a dark object with a lighter background so maybe the people you spoke to havent come across this, ive been playing WoW for the last few days and not once have i seen a problem and the game looks amazing, even bette than my Mitsubish Diamond Pro 920 CRT (like gibbo's)

I wish some owners of the Asus or any other TN panel 22" owners who have oblivion could check out the area of the game at night that i showed in my original post, then i may know whether i have a faulty panel or whether another manufacturer would be better. ;)

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

gibbo could you say that these sorts of higher response timed tft's would be good for fast paced FPS games such as cs 1.6? as i'm currently looking at a tft (my first tft) and really in a head spin now as to which to get :confused:

Associate
harris1986 said:
gibbo could you say that these sorts of higher response timed tft's would be good for fast paced FPS games such as cs 1.6? as i'm currently looking at a tft (my first tft) and really in a head spin now as to which to get :confused:

Well some people say 16ms is fine, some say 8ms is fine, some say 2ms is a must.

So I guess every one has their own opinion.

I'm sure its generally accepted that the faster the response time the better it will be for fast paced gaming.

But **** knows. This will be my first tft too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Devious said:
I wish some owners of the Asus or any other TN panel 22" owners who have oblivion could check out the area of the game at night that i showed in my original post, then i may know whether i have a faulty panel or whether another manufacturer would be better. ;)
Well I never got as far as trying any games due to the terrible desktop display I get from my MW221U. See here.

But the problem sounds kind of similar - ghosting when you have strong contrasting colours next to each other.

ASUS think they can fix it with a firmware update. However I am still waiting to hear if they are going to RMA mine to update it, or just swap it with another screen.

Suspended
Any chance you could record this ghosting using fraps devious?

I'm interested to see what it looks like, hopefully ppl will be able to offer better advice with it to.

Then compress it in moviemaker and post it on www.putfile.com

:)

You cant record ghosting with fraps as its a manifestation of the monitor itself. You'd need a very very high quality video camera i'd imagine.

A fraps video would help the rest of us with 22" monitors see if we all get the same thing in the same place tho.

Soldato
OP
Good idea,

Here is a link to a scene in oblivion.

it about 50 mb, if I run it looped i can see white ghosting next to the lighthouse and boat.

You will need Fraps to run it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom