Asus ROG Ally

Si.

Si.

Soldato
AMD Fluid Motion beta drivers are out now and work on the Ally, with an official release date set for 24th Jan.. I've seen lots of videos and it's looking great... in the right situations.

Associate
Looks like my SD slot is gone already, only had my Ally 6-7 weeks. Was aware it was a common issue pre-purchase, but didn't expect to be dealing with an RMA this soon :( Anyone who has done an RMA able to share how long it was gone for?

Associate
Looks like my SD slot is gone already, only had my Ally 6-7 weeks. Was aware it was a common issue pre-purchase, but didn't expect to be dealing with an RMA this soon :( Anyone who has done an RMA able to share how long it was gone for?
I assumed the heat was killing the SD cards rather than the Ally itself, is that not the case?

Soldato
It's interesting how many times I've read people say that their Steamdeck / Ally etc. has renewed their love of gaming. I got an Ally at the end of last year and I've found the exact same thing. I probably only put an hour or so a week on it when I'm at home but I travel for work so instead of watching a movie on my tablet I now jump into GTA V, which I haven't touched in about 9 years, and I'm loving it. I bought the Asus travel dock at the same time and being able to sit back with my old Xbox controller and play on the TV in the hotel (when their setup allows) is fantastic.

I'm really reluctant to shove an SD car in it even though my one is an R8 serial number but I only really need a few games installed. Currently playing GTA V, Beamng Drive, Art of Rally and Rubber Bandits. I've got The Finals installed but honestly, 5 hours in that just reminded me of why I lost interest in gaming in the first place so that will be coming off when I need the space.

Queued up I've got plenty to work through once I have completed the GTA V play through. A mix of old favourites and a few that slipped me by at the time; GTA IV, Mad Max, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 5, Fallout 3, Saints Row....

The only downside for me is I tend to get a bit obsessed with trying to optimise the settings. Fiddling with VRAM allocation, performance profiles etc. when the reality is that for stuff like Art of Rally the standard performance profile is fine (or even silent in that particular case) and for everything else whack it on Turbo and it just works. I'll set the VRAM back to 4GB and other than my custom 18W profile, that is handy if playing unplugged and I just need a bit extra oomph, I'll stop fiddling with stuff and spend the time playing instead.

Soldato
I got an Ally just after Christmas and am loving it. I set it up to use Playnite by default now (just jump into armoury crate when i install a new game to setup its profile). I do this use at home on the couch mostly so battery isnt an issue, so ive set it to only charge to 80% and use it on performance mode plugged in mostly. Been playing the first Alan Wake on it the past few days and almost finished it in 3 sittings.

Also because its windows and I use it from home mostly I have shared my games folders from my main PC to the ally, so I can have my networked steams games playable and also install games to there if I want to. It does increase loading times a bit, but in game it self isn't an issue and means I don't have to worry about the 512gb only or an SD card.

I do plan to have a look at different profiles for power and fans etc, but at the moment I just use the default performance one for everything.

Associate
I assumed the heat was killing the SD cards rather than the Ally itself, is that not the case?
Possibly is the heat, I have custom fan curves set with reasonably high fan speeds above 60c, but do spend most of my time gaming plugged in with 30W+ profile. The placement of the reader is less than ideal.

Associate
I've owned my Ally since December, replaced the SSD to a Sabrent Rocket 1TB, everything has been fine up to now. I last used it a few days ago, and I go to boot it up yesterday evening and the device is completely dead, and when I plug the charger in, nothing happens, no LEDs light up etc.

I tried the volume down button + power button to reset it, no luck. I disconnected the battery internally for twenty minutes and held the power button for thirty seconds, still nothing. I have tried a different charger, still nothing. I have noticed that when I plug the official charger in, I can hear an electrical humming noise coming from the device, but this doesn't happen if I plug in a different charger. I do use it connected to the mains pretty much constantly, though I had my TDP/fan curves set manually and the device never went above around 65 degrees when in-game. Any idea what the issue is? I assume this is going to be an RMA?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've owned my Ally since December, replaced the SSD to a Sabrent Rocket 1TB, everything has been fine up to now. I last used it a few days ago, and I go to boot it up yesterday evening and the device is completely dead, and when I plug the charger in, nothing happens, no LEDs light up etc.

I tried the volume down button + power button to reset it, no luck. I disconnected the battery internally for twenty minutes and held the power button for thirty seconds, still nothing. I have tried a different charger, still nothing. I have noticed that when I plug the official charger in, I can hear an electrical humming noise coming from the device, but this doesn't happen if I plug in a different charger. I do use it connected to the mains pretty much constantly, though I had my TDP/fan curves set manually and the device never went above around 65 degrees when in-game. Any idea what the issue is? I assume this is going to be an RMA?

@Vince would be able to give you a better idea, but sounds pretty dead to me.

RMA will be your way forward, I guess.

Man of Honour
@Vince would be able to give you a better idea, but sounds pretty dead to me.

RMA will be your way forward, I guess.

If its still in warranty worth trying your luck :) Otherwise something power management doesnt seem happy - Did fix a steam deck that had blown it's PMIC so guess the same fun could happen quite easily on the Ally. Any device that negotiates PD has the potential to go boom especially if the port is damaged so the ally wont be any different.

I wonder if Asus will actually support for once or if they will long you off like they did with the guy that I fixed his £3k ROG Zephyrus that asus wanted nothing to do with.

Last edited:
Associate
If its still in warranty worth trying your luck :) Otherwise something power management doesnt seem happy - Did fix a steam deck that had blown it's PMIC so guess the same fun could happen quite easily on the Ally. Any device that negotiates PD has the potential to go boom especially if the port is damaged so the ally wont be any different.

I wonder if Asus will actually support for once or if they will long you off like they did with the guy that I fixed his £3k ROG Zephyrus that asus wanted nothing to do with.
Thanks for your help @Kelt and @Vince. I've started the RMA process, as it's still in warranty, I've only owned it for just over a month (which is a bit disappointing that this has happened so soon).

@Vince What do you mean by your bottom comment, do Asus have a tendency to not fix things, even within warranty?

Man of Honour
Thanks for your help @Kelt and @Vince. I've started the RMA process, as it's still in warranty, I've only owned it for just over a month (which is a bit disappointing that this has happened so soon).

@Vince What do you mean by your bottom comment, do Asus have a tendency to not fix things, even within warranty?

yes they find every single possible way to weasel out of it known to man. Normally falling on some sort of damage that is not covered under warranty. The laptop had warranty left but they saw a mark on a cooler and went straight in on liquid damage with I think £1800 fee to fix (mainboard replacement). We ended up fixing it for a fraction of the cost by replacing a MAX IC on the charge circuit and slapping a new battery in it along with a new charger. So Asus £1800 repair cost I think ended up being sub £200 for a fix.

Last edited:
Soldato

If the charging port is sensitive to movement and prone to breaking that would be really annoying given the battery life. Happens sometimes with older phones but usually after years of repeated charging.

Man of Honour
If the charging port is sensitive to movement and prone to breaking that would be really annoying given the battery life. Happens sometimes with older phones but usually after years of repeated charging.

All you need to do is look at the switch - USB-C ports are basically consumables in them. Ive seen what people do to them, never broken one myself but have seen hundreds of broken ports in the switch. worst part is they are feeding 15v PD right next to data lines so the damage can spread from the power management right to all of the chips that handle things like hdmi over usb-c and beyond.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is one of the reasons I bit the bullet and paid for the Curry's care plan. Totally goes against the grain, and something I never do, but all I hear about is how terrible Asus customer support is.

I went for the 3yr/£80 plan that guarantees to fix the Ally within a week or you get a new one or equivalent voucher/refund. After your second repair you can ask for a refund voucher if it fails again. I'm sure there are t&c's but I'm quite happy to march my gadget down the road and hand it over the counter, rather than ship it to Tiawan :D

I've got a 4TB drive in the Ally which would just get removed and plugged into a new one if it came to it.

Associate
This is one of the reasons I bit the bullet and paid for the Curry's care plan. Totally goes against the grain, and something I never do, but all I hear about is how terrible Asus customer support is.

I went for the 3yr/£80 plan that guarantees to fix the Ally within a week or you get a new one or equivalent voucher/refund. After your second repair you can ask for a refund voucher if it fails again. I'm sure there are t&c's but I'm quite happy to march my gadget down the road and hand it over the counter, rather than ship it to Tiawan :D

I've got a 4TB drive in the Ally which would just get removed and plugged into a new one if it came to it.

Why would it need to go to Taiwan? Mine went to East Kilbride. Was back within 9 days of being collected from my door. Reading the terms of the 7 days it starts the day after it is collected or booked in and ends once the repair completes. The RMA Asus did would fall within that 7 days by the same terms.

Associate
First post on here so please be gentle!
I’ve bought a uperfect 18” monitor to use with my ally.

I’ve tried connecting it to my Asus rog ally but had no joy. I’ve used the cables included and the power source. I’ve docked the Rog ally in a dock with its own power supply going in. I’ve used a hdmi to mini hdmi to connect the monitor and had no joy. I’ve told the asus to detect the monitor but it can’t see it. The monitor works as I tried the same set up on my steam deck and it works fine.

Anybody know what I can do to fix the issue?

Associate
Got my Ally 2 weeks ago and I couldn't be happier with it. As others said, rekindled somewhat my love of gaming, I spend considerably less time now tweaking and more playing.

Tips: UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE. Do your bios, MyAsus and windows updates. Once it's done, install 24.1.1 beta which has AFMF. Turn on RIS and set AFMF on via AMD CCC. In games set 900p with FSR if available.

How RDR2 runs on this at mid is simply magic to me.

Back
Top Bottom