Asus ROG Ally

Soldato
Just had the clear modcase arrive.

Fitted it and am very pleased.

Maxed turbo I've seen a consistent 10c drop in temps. And it looks cool.

Soldato
Interesting.... I like the look of that, so just ordered the purple rear case. I took advantage of the discount code :D

Looking at a review, I'm going to have to snip some bits off to fit around my nvme drive, but that's no drama ;)
I hope you enjoy it.
It's really helped keep my frames above 60 in Last Epoch.
I tend to play it in bed with the Ally connected to the projector with a Zazer Turrent Xbox KB & Mouse setup.
If the wife moans about the brightness, I switch to handheld mode.
I had to sell my Gaming PC when we had our second baby. As we needed the spare room.
Thankfully i can get my game on using this ally :D

Soldato
I hope you enjoy it.
It's really helped keep my frames above 60 in Last Epoch.
I tend to play it in bed with the Ally connected to the projector with a Zazer Turrent Xbox KB & Mouse setup.
If the wife moans about the brightness, I switch to handheld mode.
I had to sell my Gaming PC when we had our second baby. As we needed the spare room.
Thankfully i can get my game on using this ally :D

I had similar issue where I've had to give in and get rid of desktop/desk, however I just plonked PC behind the sofa, use WOL to turn it on, and stream it to my Ally for the more graphics intensive games when I'm in the house. Have the Ally docked to my 4k tv, but when the GF complains, switch to handheld and stream the pc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had similar issue where I've had to give in and get rid of desktop/desk, however I just plonked PC behind the sofa, use WOL to turn it on, and stream it to my Ally for the more graphics intensive games when I'm in the house. Have the Ally docked to my 4k tv, but when the GF complains, switch to handheld and stream the pc.
I plan to join GeforceNow for those days when I find a game that needs 4k grunt.

Soldato
The HandHeldDIY Modcase arrived last week, I bought the purple version as I thought it looked quite nice :)

Installation was as expected, although I did have to 'fettle' a couple of areas to get a perfect fit.

Firstly, the kit is quite comprehensive for the price, and there's enough reviews out there proving that the covers design does improve cooling over the stock back cover.

I've got a 4TB nvme ssd fitted inside my Ally (with an adapter), which is a pretty standard upgrade for the Ally. But this does mean that one of the plastic posts needed a little trim to stop interference with the ssd.. A pair of nail clippers worked a treat at cleanly chopping a couple of mm off. The next step was to trim the chunky thermal pad down to size to sit alongside the ssd, but on top of the heatpipe to assist with the cooling.. Cutting the block in half with a craft knife did the job nicely.

Transferring the buttons over was pretty easy, although the back rear triggers don't seem to move in a fluid fashion like on the genuine back cover, but a little shave around the holes that keeps the button clips did the trick nicely, using the very end of the craft knife.

My clear Spigen case also got a trim with the craft knife, to make a hole for the kick stand. The Spigen case also isnt quite designed to expose every vent of the Modcase rear cover but it only blocks a couple so its no biggie. :D

A few pics of the kit and fitting.

The rear cover compared to the stock cover:

ItQ3ig9.jpeg

Ready for installation:

ernKMFX.jpeg

Fitted:

TmFD9UH.jpeg

Spigen case with hole cut out for the kick stand:

9qFjQpM.jpeg

Soldato
Oooo I love the look of that... I could be tempted! Any noticeable difference to temps?

Cool isn't it :D You've got Diagro above to thank for the heads up.
They had a discount coupon on the website, so I thought, why not. ;) And shipping didn't take too long either.

All the reviews show that compared to the stock back cover, it drops temps by a good few degrees, around the 10C mark. And looking at how it mechanically compares to stock, it's easy to see why. It's just a good thought out design.

I'm not going to pretend I've done any before and after testing, but it does seem to be running cooler that previous when running at max W on my external power supply, looking at the overlay, so I'm pretty happy with the results.

Even though I've got a 4TB fast drive fitted I've never witnessed any high temps from the drive (that seems to panic other people). Even when doing my game file transfers the ssd didn't cook according to HWInfo. So I've not even bothered with any extra ssd cooling, it seems just fine with the normal air flow through the case. And it certainly doesn't get hot during normal gaming use.

Associate
So, just got myself an Ally today, great little device! Battery life is rubbish but this thing is powerful.

Only really given xcloud a run out and installed Diablo 4 - Does anybody have any tips/tricks and what games would people recommend for this form factor?

Cheers.

Edit: Downloaded a few games overnight - Sea of Stars, Hollow Knight, My Time at Portia, Vampire Survivors and Steamworld Build. Not played any of those aside from Vampire Survivors so plenty to get my teeth into.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom