Asus ROG PG32UCDM - 4k OLED 240hz

Associate
A monitor that has it all!

IMG_8704-1536x864.jpg

From tftcentral:

The new screen is 31.5″ in size and has a 3840 x 2160 “4K” resolution. There is a high 240Hz refresh rate too, with adaptive-sync supporting variable refresh rates (VRR) from compatible NVIDIA and AMD systems. It includes certification under the AMD ‘FreeSync Premium’ scheme as well to give some reassurance around VRR performance. The screen has a quoted 0.03 ms G2G response time spec as well since it’s an OLED panel, with near-instant response times inherent to this technology.

HDR Capabilities

The peak brightness for HDR is rated at 1000 nits (3% APL), dropping to 400 nits for 10% APL and 250 nits for 100% APL. The OLED panel offers the usual benefits of per pixel dimming (so no blooming or halos), true blacks and near-infinite contrast ratio. The screen will also meet the VESA ‘DisplayHDR 400 True Black’ tier, not to be confused with the normal HDR400 tier for LCD monitors. In SDR mode the screen should also offer a 250 nits full screen (100% APL) brightness, with a uniform brightness mode offering stable brightness and no need for ABL dimming, like we’ve seen on previous Asus OLED displays.
Custom heatsink and Graphene rear panel

As with previous Asus OLED screens we’ve seen released like their 27″ 1440p 240Hz model, the Asus ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM, the new display will feature a custom heatsink and “graphene rear panel” which means it can operate without an active cooling fan, and which the company says should also help with lifespan and reduce the risk of image retention.

QD-OLED “semi glossy” panel coating

Like other QD-OLED panels released to date, the screen features the normal Semi glossy coating type, with a cleaner and clearer image than matte coating used on some other OLED panels (including their 27″ OLED PG27AQDM which uses an LG.Display WOLED panel). This isn’t to everyone’s taste, but a lot of people do prefer the cleaner image, especially as the monitor sized WOLED panels actually had a more aggressive and grainy coating than normal matte coatings used in the monitor market. One thing to note though is that the lack of a polarizer on the panel means that in some lighting conditions you do get a reduced perceived contrast and black depth, more so than on WOLED panels. This is a drawback of current QD-OLED offerings, although these panels are always better if you can use them in darker rooms anyway.

Second Generation QD-OLED Panel Benefits

The ROG Swift PG32UCDM offers a 31.5″ screen size and will be built around Samsung’s forthcoming QD-OLED panel which we discussed in our recent roadmap video here. This will be part of their second generation QD-OLED technology too, including better brightness capabilities and a somewhat improved sub-pixel layout that helps improve text clarity a bit. We experienced this new layout in the recently reviewed Samsung Odyssey OLED G95SC display (49″ super ultrawide) and found it improved compared with the first gen panels, like that used in the wide range of 34″ models on the market like the Dell Alienware AW3423DW for instance.

Pricing and Availability

Update: the official press release talks about an estimated launch date in Q1, which ties in with what we were told by a product manager who thought it would likely be early to middle part of Q1 at that. Based on the latest panel production roadmap information we would have expected it being launched a bit later though, possibly around towards the end of Q2 2024, so time will tell. This will depend on production of course as the sample showcased at the event is only a prototype.

YouTube

Price mentioned at around $1500.

Media coverage
tftcentral: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/asus-...-31-5-qd-oled-panel-4k-and-240hz-refresh-rate
Trusted Reviews: https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/asus-rog-swift-oled-pg32ucdm
Notebookcheck: https://www.notebookcheck.net/ASUS...-combine-4K-and-240-Hz-visuals.742965.0.html

will update post with more news as they become available.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Yea, I don’t want to beta test these monitors so will leave it to others. Supposed to be the 2nd gen qd-OLED panels - will be interesting to see how they perform.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Huge premium for early adopters, but it's great that they are finally coming! I've used 34 ultrawide for years (IPS) and think the 32 OLED will be my next daily driver. I loved the C2 42, but couldn't live with the size. Only downside for me is the GPU needed for 4k. I have a 7900XT which is good, but will need settings turned down from how it currently performs at 1440p.

Associate
I'm wondering how much better OLED gen 2 will be in the long run for monitors. I've been really wanting to get an OLED monitor for a while but it would suck if you end up having to replace it after only two years of use, especially at the current prices even though they are coming down apparently.

Associate
OP
There seems to be a fair amount of OEMs selling the same panel: MSI, Asus, HP etc - alongside LG's offering, which is a different panel.
In addition to a varied customer choice, this competition for pretty much the same product will drive the price for these monitors down.
I can see a oled, 4k 120hz+ for less than a £1000 to be possible within 2024. Fingers crossed!

Soldato
That's why I kinda think the price won't be as crazy as people expect, with half a dozen companies selling the same panel it will keep prices a tad lower than if it was just one

Associate
That's why I kinda think the price won't be as crazy as people expect, with half a dozen companies selling the same panel it will keep prices a tad lower than if it was just one
It’ll likely come down to the specific implementation. ASUS seem to have a good passive cooling solution but we’ll have to wait and see. This is likely my next monitor so I’m glad there be competition.

Associate
I'm really waiting on these new 32/31.5"monitors ... ultra wide are a pain to drive ...
and 32"is already a really good sized monitor to get you into the zone ...
Need to replace my 240hz 27"1440p :D ... well... i don't need to... but wanted to :D

The new Omen 32"seems really cool though:
HP's new Omen Transcend 32-inch 4K 240Hz OLED gaming monitor teased, rocks DisplayPort 2.1 (tweaktown.com)

Ultrawide is easier to drive than 4K though, unless you mean you want 32" @1440P?

Back
Top Bottom