Australian Grand Prix 2016, Melbourne - Race 1/21

Caporegime
OK, now I really am confused about tyre choice!

The main bit I don't get its the

2 race sets are mandatory and chosen by pirelli
Of this one of the two must be used in the race

Does this mean pirelli dictate "1 hard and 1 medium must be available in the race"
But that you only have to use 1 of the 2?

So if you had hard medium soft for race weekend
Pirelli say hard + medium for race
Driver could use medium and soft only for the race?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, exactly that.

Pirelli have mandated 1 medium, 1 soft and 1 super soft this weekend. The Super Softs must be used in Q3. At least one of the other 2 (medium and soft) must be used in the race. Outside of that, its the drivers choice.

The 2 compounds in the race rule applies still, so drivers must use at least one other compound from the one of the Pirelli allocation they run.

smr

smr

Soldato
Yes, exactly that.

Pirelli have mandated 1 medium, 1 soft and 1 super soft this weekend. The Super Softs must be used in Q3. At least one of the other 2 (medium and soft) must be used in the race. Outside of that, its the drivers choice.

The 2 compounds in the race rule applies still, so drivers must use at least one other compound from the one of the Pirelli allocation they run.

What a mess, how about allocate a certain number of tyres and let the drivers choose which to run and when to run them.

Caporegime
Yes, exactly that.

Main thing that complicates things.. I don't get why you even have to run 1 of pirellis choice. They have already dictated 3 of 5 sets AND 2 compounds per race.
Unless I'm being daft.. Isn't that actually redundant.. You must use 2 compounds out of 3 AND 1 of 2 from pirelli
Isn't using 2 of 3 going to ensure you use 1 of 2?

Main confusion came as some websites didn't mention "you must use one of 2 dictated"

Last edited:
Soldato
One set is for Q3 specifically (and is then made available as a race set if you don't make it to Q3), in this case the Supersoft.

Pirelli then specify two "race" compounds, of which you must use one, bearing in mind that you still need to use two different compounds overall.

Therefore, the race strategy could run something like this:

Supersoft (used in Q2) -> Soft -> Supersoft -> Supersoft

or:

Supersoft (used in Q2) -> Medium

or:

Supersoft (used in Q2) -> Medium -> Soft

Or whatever basically. Watch the below video - it explains the thought process very well and shows the system is better thought out than I initially thought. I'd still prefer a free choice (even if it was within a set number of compounds), but it's a long way from the worst thing that's been implemented in F1 in recent years:

Will Buxton - Tyre Selections Explained

Last edited:
Associate
Channel 4 times

Thursday 9pm Guy Martin F1 special (DC in a Red Bull vs GM on a motorbike in a series of challenges (slalom, acceleration etc))
Friday 9pm-9.05 Formula 1: Fast and Furious - preview of Ch4's coverage.
Saturday Qualifying 12.30pm-2.15pm
Sunday Race Highlights 1.30pm-4.00pm

Doesn't look like any repeats so I guess it'll just be on 4OD if you missed it.

Man of Honour
Channel 4 times

Thursday 9pm Guy Martin F1 special (DC in a Red Bull vs GM on a motorbike in a series of challenges (slalom, acceleration etc))
Friday 9pm-9.05 Formula 1: Fast and Furious - preview of Ch4's coverage.
Saturday Qualifying 12.30pm-2.15pm
Sunday Race Highlights 1.30pm-4.00pm

Doesn't look like any repeats so I guess it'll just be on 4OD if you missed it.

A highlight show 2 and a half hours long? I guess they are optimistic :p

Caporegime
Main thing that complicates things.. I don't get why you even have to run 1 of pirellis choice. They have already dictated 3 of 5 sets AND 2 compounds per race.
Unless I'm being daft.. Isn't that actually redundant.. You must use 2 compounds out of 3 AND 1 of 2 from pirelli
Isn't using 2 of 3 going to ensure you use 1 of 2?

Main confusion came as some websites didn't mention "you must use one of 2 dictated"

There is nothing to say that the Pirelli 3 sets must be 1 of each compound. Pirelli could chose 3 sets of Super Softs if they want. Or they could chose 1 Super Soft (Q3) and then 2x Medium.

smr

smr

Soldato
Woah!

:eek:

ab7ae18edfcb441120eecadbaac7c771.jpg

"It is believed the matt finish across the entire car means a weight-saving of almost half a kilogram compared to the use of gloss."

I wonder if all cars will come in matt finish now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is nothing to say that the Pirelli 3 sets must be 1 of each compound. Pirelli could chose 3 sets of Super Softs if they want. Or they could chose 1 Super Soft (Q3) and then 2x Medium.

now i am confused
1) 3 compounds per weekend
2) 2 sets per race

during the actual race you must use - 1 of 2 sets and 2 of 3 compounds

that renault looks awesome - it will clash with the ultrasoft!

Caporegime
now i am confused
1) 3 compounds per weekend
2) 2 sets per race

during the actual race you must use - 1 of 2 sets and 2 of 3 compounds

that renault looks awesome - it will clash with the ultrasoft!

Separate sets and compounds.

There are 3 compounds available per race weekend.
Of these, the drivers get 13 sets of tyres.
Pirelli chose 3 sets:
- One set must be the softest compound
- The other 2 sets can be any compound, but at least one of the sets must be used in the race.
The drivers then chose the remaining 10 sets, selecting any number they like from the available compounds

So the only thing that mandates a specific compound is the 1 set that must be used in Q3 that must be the softest compound. The other 12 sets (2 Pirelli, 10 driver) can be any of the available compounds.

Back
Top Bottom