Bahrain Grand Prix 2016, Sakhir - Race 2/21

Soldato
As far as I understand it:

1. All teams agreed at Melbourne after qualifying to return to the previous format. Force India were the only team to suggest not being so hasty, but as everyone else agreed, they did not wish to quash a clear majority.
  2. The change then had to be ratified by the FIA and WMSC. This is where the suggestion of amendments came up, presumably the FIA vetoed the change back and suggested a tweaked format.
  3. The teams have now had a similar crap choice to the initial one that brought the new qualifying in the first place - either remain with the new format unchanged, or tweak it.
  4. Time was very short, and so we've remained with the new format unchanged.

Caporegime
Which will result in there being enough muddyness in the water to ensure there is no unanimous agreement on anything for the rest of the season.

Its pathetic. It really is. Were going to be stuck with this for the next 20 races because Formula 1 is regulated in a such a way that even something so utterly stupid as this simply cannot be got rid of!

Soldato
I don't disagree, but for once it's not the teams' fault. TBF, the fact we've got this farce of a qualifying format wasn't their fault either - a choice between this and Bernie's random number generator qualifying is a simple choice, but still ****.

Caporegime
Its the FIAs fault.

Litterally every issue with F1, and every other series they run, is the FIAs fault.

They are utterly useless at running motor sport series', and I'm now of the opinion that the best thing that can happen is someone else takes over. Unfortunately the FIAs monopoly on "World Championships" will stifle that :(

Associate
It's hilarious when you compare it to Blancpain. They had an issue last year in the spa 24 hours where they introduced 2 safety cars during the race to keep pace, but it ended up penalising cars nearly 60 seconds when thepit lane closed to wait for the second safety car instead of being picked up in the pack.

All the teams said it was bad, the commentators said it was bad and it was resolved quickly with race control changing the rules on the fly and reverting back to 1 safety car during the race.

Caporegime
Good point. Thats the only reason the FIA have their fingers in the WEC pie, its to allow the ACO to put the 'W' at the front :p.

The Blancpain series could probably sustain a World Championship if they wanted, all be it probably a very Europe centered one with a few fly away races to keep costs under control.

What channel is the Blancpain series on? I should start watching it (I used to follow the FIA GT series when I could).

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Beeb link.

I can't help but wonder if Alonso is going to rapidly decide that this **** isn't worth it any more. It's one thing to risk your life going for glory - be it trying to impress a big team in order to get a title-capable car, or taking a title-capable car and winning - but quite another to risk your life tooling around pointlessly in the lower-mid field when you've already been world champion. Twice.

And of course this is the second time that he's had his bell rung in a McLaren starting money special, after testing last year. Once, it's halfway amusing (schadenfreude ist die besten freude, and all that). Twice, it's less so.

Back
Top Bottom