Best network at the moment to use.

Soldato
If you go anywhere rural, it's 100% EE. Whilst doing trips into the highlands, I will consistently be the last person with 4G signal.

I don't recommended actually signing a contract with any of the big four (3, o2, voda, EE) as there simply isn't any point. They're more expensive and often lacking features and you're locked into a contract.

For EE, go with 1p or spusu. Avoid lyca for their terrible support, handling of a massive data breach and lack of all the EE signal bands.

If you don't want to pay the premium for the EE network then lebara on vodafone gets my vote. Fairly sure they have a deal for a 12GB sim for £1 a month for 6 months, £7 after.

Associate
OP
If you go anywhere rural, it's 100% EE. Whilst doing trips into the highlands, I will consistently be the last person with 4G signal.

I don't recommended actually signing a contract with any of the big four (3, o2, voda, EE) as there simply isn't any point. They're more expensive and often lacking features and you're locked into a contract.

For EE, go with 1p or spusu. Avoid lyca for their terrible support, handling of a massive data breach and lack of all the EE signal bands.

If you don't want to pay the premium for the EE network then lebara on vodafone gets my vote. Fairly sure they have a deal for a 12GB sim for £1 a month for 6 months, £7 after.
wow I really appreciate your replies absolutely fantastic because I am not that knowledgeable I'm going to look into that where I live there's a shopping centre and all the big four are in there I've been with 3 for 6 years now and I have just had enough of them

Soldato
wow I really appreciate your replies absolutely fantastic because I am not that knowledgeable I'm going to look into that where I live there's a shopping centre and all the big four are in there I've been with 3 for 6 years now and I have just had enough of them
You're welcome. If you've ever been into one of the big four stores it quickly becomes apparent they are purely there for sales, not support.

Soldato
EE is generally the best, especially in remote rural areas as they provide the emergency services network, and as I'm in the mountains a lot, it's very valuable to me.

Although my I have a BT contract at the moment which is fairly cheap. Their sim only prices are pretty ridiculous.
I recommend calling them up if you're ever forced to move to EE. Their online deals were useless, but on phone they offered a much better SIM only package for me when I was moving between the two (£10 for 10gb, with a £1 discount for being a BT broadband customer, so £9 overall).

That said some of the MVNOs will still be better for the money if you don't mind looking around.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree with the comments about EE/Vodafone. Only thing that bugs me with Vodafone is I quickly lose signal if i'm in a large shopping store/centre a lot of the time.

Not sure if it is just location/signal but is annoying.

I've a work phone which was previously Vodafone, but my employer moved us over to EE and the speeds and signal are great in most places where I've checked. Not had any complaints at all, aside from the pricing and utter rubbish deals if you are an existing customer and looking to renew a sim only deal.

Associate
OP
I recommend calling them up if you're ever forced to move to EE. Their online deals were useless, but on phone they offered a much better SIM only package for me when I was moving between the two (£10 for 10gb, with a £1 discount for being a BT broadband customer, so £9 overall).

That said some of the MVNOs will still be better for the money if you don't mind looking around.
Sorry but not that technical minded so how much is 10gb? .. I'm on 30gb with 3 and I have never run out of data I have been in the EE shop today and they said £10 if I take there boardband so in total £32 and that's 12 months if I want rolling monthly it's £45 WTF?

Soldato
Sorry but not that technical minded so how much is 10gb? .. I'm on 30gb with 3 and I have never run out of data I have been in the EE shop today and they said £10 if I take there boardband so in total £32 and that's 12 months if I want rolling monthly it's £45 WTF?
If you have the 3 app on your phone, it should tell you how much you use per month. Everyone's usage varies so I can't say if it will be more than enough, or too small for you.

Soldato
Yep, totally depends what you do with your phone or what you think you might want to do.

Another option would be to check mobile network usage stats on the phone itself. If you have an iPhone, should be under Settings>Mobile Service and listed there. Or if on Android such as Samsung goto Settings>Connections>Data Usage.

Best trying to average out the last few months to figure out how much you are using.

Associate
OP
Yep, totally depends what you do with your phone or what you think you might want to do.

Another option would be to check mobile network usage stats on the phone itself. If you have an iPhone, should be under Settings>Mobile Service and listed there. Or if on Android such as Samsung goto Settings>Connections>Data Usage.

Best trying to average out the last few months to figure out how much you are using.
is this what you mean

Soldato
is this what you mean
Extrapolating out, probably about 2GB a month. But give the price difference between 3GB and 5GB is 50p, go for 5GB in case you have a month where you need more.

Don't bother talking to any of the paid thieves in phone shops, use the link below.

Reactions: KIA
Associate
OP
Extrapolating out, probably about 2GB a month. But give the price difference between 3GB and 5GB is 50p, go for 5GB in case you have a month where you need more.

Don't bother talking to any of the paid thieves in phone shops, use the link below.

Great ... I just been talking to an agent at EE! I have asked him a load of questions and he says you are looking at £39 a month with broadband at 18 months and my phone sim on a rolling monthly contract what do you think of that? .. thank you

Soldato
Great ... I just been talking to an agent at EE! I have asked him a load of questions and he says you are looking at £39 a month with broadband at 18 months and my phone sim on a rolling monthly contract what do you think of that? .. thank you
My gut reaction is no, not a good deal. Do you need broadband? Are you out of contract with your current provider?

I'd stick with the lebara deals linked above.

Associate
OP
My gut reaction is no, not a good deal. Do you need broadband? Are you out of contract with your current provider?

I'd stick with the lebara deals linked above.
Thank you very much for your input I really appreciate it but I've do a bit of research on lebara it's is not a provider as such ie it's on the back of the Vodafone am I right

Soldato
Ended up shifting to EE via 1p personally, moved from O2. As one of the posters mentioned, living out in the sticks, it was the only choice (even gets signal in the local...not sure thats a good thing though). For the longest time it has also been the only provider that gets signal at work. That is in the fullest sense as well, EE gets max signal max speed, the other 3 are emergency only, its a weird spot.

It's pretty rubbish though where my folks are so I've never recommended they move to it, Vodafone and Three seem to be the carriers of choice round their way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom