Best video doorbell....

Man of Honour

I have that one facing my Garden.
Personally the Ring is on sale now for £59 and you can screw it to the wall and it will do a way better job.

reolinkgarden.jpg

Caporegime
We've had a rethink and are now leaning towards not bothering with a video/smart doorbell of any type. With our brand new front door below, there's just no room to put one facing outwards, and ideally it would go on the left side to see across the front of the house/garden. Not really doable, as the doorframe goes right up to the side walls of the porch as you can see below. Instead I think we'll just mount a camera on the ceiling of the porch looking down. At least we'll get notifications, see when parcels are delivered, a bit of security through the night or when we're away etc. The question now is, do I do the easy route and just get a Google Nest cam (already in their eco system, no other accounts/apps needed) or try something else? We should be able to run power through the porch ceiling into the bedroom, where we already have a power cable going for the porch light.

xD9aIhK.jpg

Just want to say.. I love this door!

I have Google. 1 doorbell and 3 of thier cams.

Anyone else finding Google assistant voice commands are worse than they used to be?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just want to say.. I love this door!
Thanks. We do to. It was damn expensive but matches the style of the originals left in the street perfectly. We’ve had a lot of comments from the neighbours, hopefully some of them will follow suit! We’ll drag the street up eventually lol

Soldato
I'd assume the house also has sections of the exterior walls which are constructed from sheets of glass rather than bricks ;)
Fingers crossed!

It is a recursive loop though - I think the marketing gimmick for my Endurance door is Wolf trying to smash it down, but can't --- also ignoring the window next to it :cry:

Associate
We've had a rethink and are now leaning towards not bothering with a video/smart doorbell of any type. With our brand new front door below, there's just no room to put one facing outwards, and ideally it would go on the left side to see across the front of the house/garden. Not really doable, as the doorframe goes right up to the side walls of the porch as you can see below. Instead I think we'll just mount a camera on the ceiling of the porch looking down. At least we'll get notifications, see when parcels are delivered, a bit of security through the night or when we're away etc. The question now is, do I do the easy route and just get a Google Nest cam (already in their eco system, no other accounts/apps needed) or try something else? We should be able to run power through the porch ceiling into the bedroom, where we already have a power cable going for the porch light.

xD9aIhK.jpg
Does Tony from After Life live there?

Soldato
How did u run it to the wall? did u chase the wall behind where your doorbell is postioned?
My hall refurb hasn't started so it just pops out the wall. My floor is just temporary loft boards so they pop up super easily. I'll knock the plaster off inside/chase it internally.

Edit: in fact I am boarding the porch to insulate so I'll probably run the cable low and drill through and pop it behind the skirting/into the underfloor to save doing any chasing.

Last edited:
Soldato
My hall refurb hasn't started so it just pops out the wall. My floor is just temporary loft boards so they pop up super easily. I'll knock the plaster off inside/chase it internally.

Edit: in fact I am boarding the porch to insulate so I'll probably run the cable low and drill through and pop it behind the skirting/into the underfloor to save doing any chasing.
Brilliant sounds good

Soldato
I finally got my Aqara G4 Doorbell installed yesterday. I'm really happy and impressed by it so far, a really nice upgrade from my Netatmo unit.
I have it mains powered and using continuous recoding to a 512GB SDcard stored locally and accessible within the Aqara app. I'm using it mainly through Apple Home (HomeKit) and it's been rock solid, I just need to setup HomeKit Secure Video for Cloud backup.

This is a downsized screenshot for anyone interested in the picture quality.
fFhm3gs.jpg
Small update….I finally got round to setting up Apple HomeKit Secure Video (HKSV) today on my Aqara G4.

It was easy to do and it’s working great so far.

I know have full continuous 24/7 and event recording stored locally to an SDcard on the Aqara ring module and accessible via the Aqara app or by removing the SDcard and using a laptop. This is just running in the background.

The Apple Home app is setup for all doorbell notifications and events. HKSV now records these, encrypts and uploads them to my iCloud making them accessible on all my devices for 10 days.

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone else seem to have a problem with spiders on the cameras at night? I'm forever wiping away spiders and their webs when they're setting off the person detection alarm at night :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom