Best video doorbell....

Caporegime
Yeah their naming scheme is a joke. It's this one: Nest Cam (outdoor or indoor, battery)

But you can get a power cable for it: https://store.google.com/gb/product/nest_cam_weatherproof_cable?hl=en-GB

Ah yeah same as me.
I cheaper out and bought a long cable off Ali express and just popped one of my many spare Samsung chargers on the end.

I have 2.both are connected to Samsung chargers. Not had to drill into a house though. Ones connected to am outdoor plug, the other the garage.

Didn't want to spend 30 for a damn plug

Last edited:
Soldato
lol fair enough. I dont mind paying a bit more for something that's going to be powered 24/7 mind.. Sure you've not got the usb charger cable instead?

Caporegime
lol fair enough. I dont mind paying a bit more for something that's going to be powered 24/7 mind.. Sure you've not got the usb charger cable instead?
It's a 7m usb cable. The 5m (Google plug) wouldn't have reached the plug!

DP53lVR.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
So why is everyone seemingly buying Reolink now?

A million arguments with my other half later and she may be coming round to the idea of a video doorbell seen as we need to replace the existing one. Pity she couldnt decide this before my Dad came over from the US because he could have bought me the new Nest wired :rolleyes: I'm dubious about going the Nest (US) route due to additional complications. As much as I don't want another app and account to manage.. Reolink seem to be everyone's choice on here for some reason? :confused:

Soldato

A million arguments with my other half later and she may be coming round to the idea of a video doorbell seen as we need to replace the existing one. Pity she couldnt decide this before my Dad came over from the US because he could have bought me the new Nest wired :rolleyes: I'm dubious about going the Nest (US) route due to additional complications. As much as I don't want another app and account to manage.. Reolink seem to be everyone's choice on here for some reason? :confused:
You make it sound as if we all made a terrible decision in getting a reolink doorbell...

Soldato
You make it sound as if we all made a terrible decision in getting a reolink doorbell...
Not at all. Although their website looks a bit naff mind*. I like the design and seemingly the functionality (from what I can tell).

So I’m just curious as to why they’re flavour of the month :)

*Where is the company based? Their website does give me Chinese-reseller vibes lol, and answers to some of the questions on their forums are not fantastically well written.

Soldato

The products seem pretty well made, packaged well, and very open. I've got a Reolink doorbell and a few cameras because they work "offline" and use open standards. There were lots of Chinese cameras makers and Reolink seemed to emerge strongest. A bit like Anker/Eufy in the Chinese tat powerbank battery/charger world.

Associate
Havent read all the thread so I'm not sure if anyone else also has an Ezviz ?
More than happy with mine, peephole fitment, lcd screen on back of door, works with Alexa and records to SD card so no subs.
Best of all it was cheap as chips :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The products seem pretty well made, packaged well, and very open. I've got a Reolink doorbell and a few cameras because they work "offline" and use open standards. There were lots of Chinese cameras makers and Reolink seemed to emerge strongest. A bit like Anker/Eufy in the Chinese tat powerbank battery/charger world.
Thanks. I’m totally going to bombard you with questions soon but for now I see a Redditor reviewer saying he doesn’t use the chime and uses his Google Homes to announce visitors. Can you do that then? How is Google Home/Assistant integration?
And if it’s crap, can you easily add other chimes?

How is the delay on notifications? Our front garden is very small so if someone is impatient and there’s a 5sec delay in the doorbell ringing, they’ll be gone and down the road in no time :p Delays are my greatest fear of going to a video doorbell.
I've got the eufy setup and it works great, heard the ring is a bit more responsive though. Eufy has no hidden costs of subscriptions etc
You can use an NVR with Reolink to locally store your footage too I believe. @dlockers do you do that or do you have a cloud sub?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. I’m totally going to bombard you with questions soon but for now I see a Redditor reviewer saying he doesn’t use the chime and uses his Google Homes to announce visitors. Can you do that then? How is Google Home/Assistant integration?
And if it’s crap, can you easily add other chimes?

How is the delay on notifications? Our front garden is very small so if someone is impatient and there’s a 5sec delay in the doorbell ringing, they’ll be gone and down the road in no time :p Delays are my greatest fear of going to a video doorbell.

You can use an NVR with Reolink to locally store your footage too I believe. @dlockers do you do that or do you have a cloud sub?
I use a simple setup whereby the chime that came with it is plugged into the wall. It's instant notification.

On my phone it gets a notification as soon as it detects a person (silent). I've turned off all others features. My main reason to get it was it covers my car with motion recording to an SD card.

Edit: just checked, in my Alexa setup it says 'play notification when pushed' so I guess that's how you integrate it. I don't have Google stuff so can't help there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not at all. Although their website looks a bit naff mind*. I like the design and seemingly the functionality (from what I can tell).

So I’m just curious as to why they’re flavour of the month :)

*Where is the company based? Their website does give me Chinese-reseller vibes lol, and answers to some of the questions on their forums are not fantastically well written.
Reolink are really good and one of the go to suggestions over at the CCTV thread here in the UK and if they are good at CCTV tech, then you can bet your house that a lil doorbell will do the job.

Soldato
Reolink are really good and one of the go to suggestions over at the CCTV thread here in the UK and if they are good at CCTV tech, then you can bet your house that a lil doorbell will do the job.
+1 to that and I have found Reolink's support to be excellent if any issues do arise and if it can't be fixed online they will just send out a replacement unit.

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 to that and I have found Reolink's support to be excellent if any issues do arise and if it can't be fixed online they will just send out a replacement unit.
Yup and you can completely have full control of where your footage is stored without a subscription.

They are primarily a CCTV camera company with actual nvr devices and loads of different indoor and outdoor cameras.

Why do you think this doorbell is one of the first to have poe?

Because they know there **** and know that poe is far superior than WiFi plus powered.

More secure, more reliable and power delivery all in one cable.

Soldato
Thanks guys. Busy day at work but chipping in some random questions as I think of them..

Do they have a web viewer? Do they have MFA on accounts? Does the Wi-Fi/powered doorbell support live streaming?

Edit: Also I hope Reolink doesn’t make a chime outside to the street does it? I can’t stand that (why do some doorbells do that?!)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks guys. Busy day at work but chipping in some random questions as I think of them..

Do they have a web viewer? Do they have MFA on accounts? Does the Wi-Fi/powered doorbell support live streaming?

Edit: Also I hope Reolink doesn’t make a chime outside to the street does it? I can’t stand that (why do some doorbells do that?!)
Reolink can be accessed through anything that receives rstp streams iirc, so yes basically. I use blueiris to receive it, and that has a web front end. It also has its own thick client for windows.

It makes a small ding outside but you can disable it.

Yes live streaming works and it can record to itself via SD card if you don't have an NVR.

Soldato

Reolink have apps for apple, android and Windows. I have live streaming on all my reolink camera's..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom