Best way to dispose of mattress?

Caporegime
get some bolt cutters and just rip the fabric off , cut all the bit's of metal into manageable pieces and stick it in a bin bag?

I once stuck a TV in a bin bag surrounded by cardboard and it got taken away lol. (about 10 years ago though I wouldn't do it these days)

Soldato
My parents recently bought a new mattress. The old one was really worn, complete with coffee stains and my dad put it on freecycle. It was collected 2 days later by a couple who had kitted out their whole bedroom with stuff from freecycle. You'd be amazed what you can give away!

Generally most people won't touch second hand mattresses for two reasons:

- Mattresses obviously wear out, so most of the time when people are trying to get rid of them they are long past their real usefulness/comfort.

- We spend a hell of a lot of time on a mattress in close body contact and there is no way of knowing what is embedded in it, in terms of stains, germs and diseases.

I would think the people who want to buy second hand mattresses will probably be dodgy landlords and people who are slightly weird like your couple noted above.

Soldato
If it has a "carelessness causes fire" tag and is in decent condition, a local charity similar to Southampton's "Dorcas Project" will collect them for free and distribute them to individuals/families etc. that are in desperate need of replacement furniture.

And holy thread revival Batman (well marymary to be precise), a ~2.5 year old zombie returns to the living! :p

Caporegime
- We spend a hell of a lot of time on a mattress in close body contact and there is no way of knowing what is embedded in it, in terms of stains, germs and diseases.
I can't be the only one who uses a mattress protector to keep their mattress from absorbing sweat etc?

Soldato
I can't be the only one who uses a mattress protector to keep their mattress from absorbing sweat etc?

I think you will find the majority don't; I personally don't.
A mattress protector doesn't breathe for one, at least the plastic types which stop spills and such.

Caporegime
well it's sort of like wool with kind waxy backing on the other side, I don't find it stops my skin from breathing or makes me hot, I forgot it's even there.

it's not like those plastic sheets for bed wetters

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Forget marymary:

Snatch said:
Brick Top said:
You're always gonna have problems lifting a mattress in one piece. Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a mattress into six pieces and pile it all together.
Sol said:
Would someone mind telling me, who are you?
Brick Top said:
And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up mattress will look like curry to a ********. You gotta shave the upholstery of your victims, and pull the springs out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig ****, now do you? They will go through material like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a mattress that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked mattress every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig."

:p

Associate
Burn it, take the remaining metal and put it out overnight at the front of the house. The Gypsy Nightkin will come and harvest the precious leaving nothing to remain.

Back
Top Bottom