Blackberry Priv

Soldato
It's a shame that I got mine from CPW warehouse as it means I have to wait an extra week for the update. Checking for it manually doesn't seem to force anything. I bought it SIM free too

Associate
That's interesting to know and exactly why I've gone for ShopBlackberry instead... Having said that, I ordered on Wednesday and still don't have the phone, while having paid £15+ for postage. Had I have gone with CPW I'd have had the phone new day within a one hour delivery window at no extra charge! Swings and roundabouts...

Have you noticed any physical/hardware issues with your device? ShopBlackberry have a 30 day return period, no questions asked apparently, so I want to make sure I look out for any issues before I decide to keep it... I've heard there is a rattle of the keys as the screen is closed over them and a bit of play between the display and the keyboard (seemingly impacting different corners for different people!).

Anything to look out for/check would be great...

Soldato
The only issue I have had so far is when the phone gets rather warm and also the light is quite low, the front facin camera gives a slight reen tint.... Also the PKB was a struggle to use over the first couple weeks. But now it seems to have worn in a bit and is working for me much better.

That's the only things I've noticed on my device

Soldato
Sorry it must be my mistake if a few people don't understand.

If the room is dark and you try and use the front facing camera, the camera can give a green tint.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Apparently the first maintenance release solves a lot of the camera issues, should be pushed to UK devices tomorrow.

Associate
So mine arrived today... And the build quality is horrendous. I've already opened up a return ticket with Blackberry. The bottom of the left of the display is a little 'loose' and when tapping on the display (imagine using the on screen keyboard) it clicks. Not my video but an example here - seems it's a thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uip2lqQeIBo

I've tried (carefully!) to do the fix as in the video. It simply shifts the problem to the right corner... It seems there is something out of balance and you're simply moving the problem. Additionally, I'm sure the problem would only reappear at some stage anyway. Either way - At £575 delivered I'm not impressed.

If I had more time I'd get a replacement but the next three weeks will be hectic, travelling, Christmas, etc. So, it seems, I'll get a refund and see what happens in the New Year... If the build quality improves I'll perhaps try again but for now it's simply not good enough. (And I'd not recommend purchasing from ShopBlackberry either - They do not want to send a courier for collection but insist on a FedEx drop off... That's really not easy for me to fit into my day so we're working on seeing if a courier can - after all - be offered. Purchasing from CPW would have been cheaper and easier!).

Soldato
The app updates should be pushed next week. So after that I think the majority of my gripes with The Priv should be all sorted .... I also wanted to add that I also experience a bit of play on the left hand side of the screen, but it doesn't seem to be too noticeable

Soldato
I've just put the slider case on. I think I'll only be rocking it when travelling as it's made the phone a ton heavier. But looks very sturdy and that it will give good protection.

Soldato
My brother got this phone for Christmas and while I was helping him set it up, I was genuinely amazed of how well BB tweaked Android, I'm really liking the additions they included yet keeping it stock Android. I'm also finding myself actually loving the physical keyboard. Might be tempted to get the Priv successor if it ever surfaces.

Soldato
The hub has fixed the main issue with emails that have been marked read becoming unread. The Hub is still a bit slow but it's getting there. Really nice to see

Soldato
How is everyone finding it? I'm getting more used to Android and I finally feel more comfortable with the hardware keyboard. I can start to type without looking again.

I am still having another issue with The Hub where I'll mark all tweets as read or WhatsApp messages as read; and then when I get another tweet it will unmark all other tweets as unread. I have tried deleting all the tweets in The Hub, but getting another notification brings them all back.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Hub is still crap compared to BB10. Using my passport occasionally reminds me how it functions so much better as a phone. Priv is great hardware, and app support is obviously lovely, but the passport is a better communications device.

If an option came to flash BB10 to my priv, I would take it.

It's a great android phone, but if you are used to BB10, I think any other OS will be frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom