Blackberry Priv

Associate
Still enjoying it. Got the hard case for it and it's pretty useful though makes it pretty large.

Although the bit of plastic between the bottom two rows has somehow broken and flapping around.

It's not the end of the world but is pretty annoying :-/

Soldato
Hub is still crap compared to BB10. Using my passport occasionally reminds me how it functions so much better as a phone. Priv is great hardware, and app support is obviously lovely, but the passport is a better communications device.

If an option came to flash BB10 to my priv, I would take it.

It's a great android phone, but if you are used to BB10, I think any other OS will be frustrating.

I'm just reading this now (late compared to when it was posted!) as I had a Z10 for a couple of years from release and really loved BB10. It is just streets ahead as a decent mobile OS with full integration

I upgraded in September last year to a Samsung S6 Edge and it's dreadful. Awful phone and very badly made (it's already coming apart and has lines on the screen)

I love the apps in Android but hate the OS. Your comment that if I'm used to BB10 any other OS will be frustrating really rang true! It's just so intuitive everything else feels cumbersome and slow :(

Associate
I'm just reading this now (late compared to when it was posted!) as I had a Z10 for a couple of years from release and really loved BB10. It is just streets ahead as a decent mobile OS with full integration

I upgraded in September last year to a Samsung S6 Edge and it's dreadful. Awful phone and very badly made (it's already coming apart and has lines on the screen)

I love the apps in Android but hate the OS. Your comment that if I'm used to BB10 any other OS will be frustrating really rang true! It's just so intuitive everything else feels cumbersome and slow :(

couldn't agree more, it's a really sad day when android and ios have beaten bb10 into extinction. Nothing against Android and Ios, they did what they had to do to survive and thrive and RIM were simply way behind the curve and reacted too late to make a difference. But the fact remains that BB10 is vastly superior to both of those OS's. Android is frankly a garbage OS. It's only advantage over ios is that it's not locked down as much but from a usability perspective it's a complete sham. Infact I read an article a few weeks ago that rightly said: Android is popular not because it's good (it isn't) but because it's cheap and available to the masses on cheap handsets too.

If I were blackberry, I would've designed the handsets inhouse, contracted the manufacturing to Sony or Apple and subsidized developers to replicate the top 100,000 apps on Android and Ios and then massively subsidized the cost of the handsets to get people on board and using BB10. Instead they chose to sit on piles of cash, did an awful job at marketing, made ****** handsets and hoped the developers would jump on board with little to no uptake from consumers. BB's management is FUBAR.

Last edited:
Soldato
couldn't agree more, it's a really sad day when android and ios have beaten bb10 into extinction. Nothing against Android and Ios, they did what they had to do to survive and thrive and RIM were simply way behind the curve and reacted too late to make a difference. But the fact remains that BB10 is vastly superior to both of those OS's. Android is frankly a garbage OS. It's only advantage over ios is that it's not locked down as much but from a usability perspective it's a complete sham. Infact I read an article a few weeks ago that rightly said: Android is popular not because it's good (it isn't) but because it's cheap and available to the masses on cheap handsets too.

If I were blackberry, I would've designed the handsets inhouse, contracted the manufacturing to Sony or Apple and subsidized developers to replicate the top 100,000 apps on Android and Ios and then massively subsidized the cost of the handsets to get people on board and using BB10. Instead they chose to sit on piles of cash, did an awful job at marketing, made ****** handsets and hoped the developers would jump on board with little to no uptake from consumers. BB's management is FUBAR.

Yep, completely agree with all of that. It's a crying shame

They sat back and watched their huge market advantage fall away. BB10 was great but very late - instead of pushing it and supporting it they left it.

I was still surprising people with my Z10 when I got rid of it - they were surprised that BlackBerry had moved on from the old Bolds on BB7!

Man of Honour
I was pleasantly surprised by the Priv when I went in looking for a new phone after my Note 4 died and picked one up, seems a nicely built device and its nice having a physical KB again! Android Marshmallow update is due to land tomorrow which from most feedback seems to make it even better, nice to have something a bit different from the usual Apple or Samsung fare too!

Soldato
I bought a Priv shortly after posting on this thread (8th Feb) and I absolutely love it! It is so much better than my old S6 Edge and it's so nice to have some of the BlackBerry 10 features back (like the decent keyboard and the hub).

If you haven't already I'd recommend getting the official case with the window cut out on the front. It works really well with the phone and it's a convenient way to see the time or quickly look through your notifications

Soldato
I used to always swipe up and right from the home button to quickly go to The Hub. Now that I have updated to Marshmallow, swipe shortcuts no loner work, it just takes me to Google Now.

Swipe Shortcuts are enabled in the settings menu.

Soldato
I found out what I was doing wrong. Normally holding the centre button used to bring the shortcuts up on screen, now it just takes you to Google-Now. But if you swipe up quickly then the icons appear again like in the previous version.

Soldato
I used to always swipe up and right from the home button to quickly go to The Hub. Now that I have updated to Marshmallow, swipe shortcuts no loner work, it just takes me to Google Now.

Swipe Shortcuts are enabled in the settings menu.

And the beauty of android is choice. Install Nova Launcher and you can set swipe and tap actions until your heart is content.

Associate
Any Passport owners made the move to a Priv and have any positive/negative opinions on the switch?
I've been very happy with my Passport but development seems to have basically stopped, leaving me with a few bugs which I'm doubtful will ever be fixed, plus various app issues makes me think maybe it's time to move on. I love the hub, I love the OS (apart from aforementioned bugs) and most of all I love the phone. I know the Priv is a very different proposition with, from what I've read, not as good build quality and a watered-down hub, but being able to run properly supported Android apps again could make all the difference for me.
Although...that price...

Soldato
Hi!

Not a Passport owner unfortunately but a previous BB10 phone owner - I used to own a Z10

In summary - yes, the hub has been watered down and Android is just not as good an OS in my opinion. Even though the phone is far better and quicker than my dreadful Samsung S6 Edge, it's still slower and far more cumbersome than my Z10

I really miss the 'peak' feature more than anything else!

Having said all of that though, I am happy that I moved. As you say BB10 development has basically stopped and having full access to Google Play is wonderful. It is easily the best Android phone bar none and thankfully a lot of the BB features like the keyboard (including the touch keyboard from the Passport) have made it over

I just wish that BB10 was better advertised and better supported but that's in the past now. In a Windows Phone (also dropping fast)/Android/iPhone future I believe that it's the best choice

The price is very high but I paid the same kind of money for my Samsung - unfortunately this seems to be what high end phones cost now

Associate
Thanks for the info, and I probably shouldn't be a snob with regards to the Passport - there are few enough Blackberry users without discounting Z10 etc users :)
Very useful info and it gives me some food for thought. I got my Passport rather cheaply from the MM here, and haven't bought a high end phone outright since...ever, hence the price seems crazy to me, but I suppose you're right in that it's not unexpected considering the market and position.
I just can't face losing my beloved hardware keyboard and so the Priv seems like my only modern Android option.

Back
Top Bottom