• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

Soldato
Man, the 4080 beat the 3080ti, 3090, and 3090ti and had headroom for another couple tiers too. Like it beats the 3090ti by like 30%.
The 4080 was a decent card but it wasn't good for £1200, At that price point I'd expected a much better uplift than it had over last gen cards.
Screenshot-760.png

3080 delivering a similar uplift despite costing nearly half as much.
Screenshot-762.png

Soldato
3000 series was on Samsung node as Nvidia tried to save costs, a mistake they won't repeat again considering how close AMD came to toppling Nvidia's halo product in that generation. 4000 series went through multiple die shrinks compared to that and on top of that AMD was at least competing with 4080.

All of this doesn't apply to 5000 series. It's just a small node upgrade and since AMD is yet to catch up with the 4090, Nvidia has no incentive to make the 5080 faster than 4090. Also considering, the 5090 won't be that much of an upgrade over 4090 as it's largely the same node. Nvidia will want to segment 5090 as much as possible l.

Depends how the prices are for the node. 3080 was 628mm2, while 4080 is only 379mm2. AI bubble will get an "integrity check" with ChatGPT 5 - if it ain't good enough (whatever the industry will understand by that), the enthusiasm for AI could be halting, ergo no more "free" money for nVIDIA.

Associate
Depends how the prices are for the node. 3080 was 628mm2, while 4080 is only 379mm2. AI bubble will get an "integrity check" with ChatGPT 5 - if it ain't good enough (whatever the industry will understand by that), the enthusiasm for AI could be halting, ergo no more "free" money for nVIDIA.
Free money for NV is going to end regardless. They have a stupid amount of competition heading their way in silicon and software sides of AI/ML.
One thing I expect them to maintain is the small AI/ML model community, stuff you can run on a single GPU. But their commercial market is about to get eaten into in a big way.

Associate
3060ti was like £1400 at one point.. got a 7900XT for £699, so basically double performance for half the price :p

(ok, yeah, I got my 3060ti for £369, so double the performance for double the price... Jensen-Wang would have us beleive that Moore's law is dead)

Associate
The 4080 was a decent card but it wasn't good for £1200, At that price point I'd expected a much better uplift than it had over last gen cards.
Screenshot-760.png

3080 delivering a similar uplift despite costing nearly half as much.
Screenshot-762.png
I agree, but for what it's worth, the 3080 is one of the best cards ever, and the 4080 was like 1500 canadian and the 3090TI was like 2600(lol) so... it's probably about the same scale anyways

Associate
Someone will be along shortly to tell you that you could not buy the 3080 at msrp however :p
Nah. But I do wonder how do you put a dollar amount on the time I spent trying to buy a 30 series cards? Citing the bestbuy MSRP for the 3080 is... pretty dubious. I know it technically existed. Technically.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nah. But I do wonder how do you put a dollar amount on the time I spent trying to buy a 30 series cards? Citing the bestbuy MSRP for the 3080 is... pretty dubious. I know it technically existed. Technically.

If you did not manage to get one then I would say not much at all :p

I got one without an issue and got friends and family to get them too. Sold the codes that came with it and worked out under £600 :D

Best part is it got eventually sold to CEX for £1620 :D

Soldato
It wasn’t like you would sit there for weeks with your finger over an OOS button hoping it will come back in.

You set alerts, then just carried on as normal and if it went of you just clicked the link on your phone then added to basket and paid.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It wasn’t like you would sit there for weeks with your finger over an OOS button hoping it will come back in.

You set alerts, then just carried on as normal and if it went of you just clicked the link on your phone then added to basket and paid.

Exactly. I put about £3.50 on his time, if that :p

Caporegime
If you did not manage to get one then I would say not much at all :p

I got one without an issue and got friends and family to get them too. Sold the codes that came with it and worked out under £600 :D

Best part is it got eventually sold to CEX for £1620 :D

Yup I had no bother getting one either. Signed up to alerts, got notified and got it, didn't spend any time monitoring sites etc. Only other things I did was make sure had auto login done and my card added to the site for quick checkout.

3080 has been the best bang per buck purchase for me ever I think especially if I factor in selling on my old gpus which would have brought the price down to £325 and I also sold my ps 4 pro with a few games at the time too so if including that, 3080 would have cost me about £100 :cry: But but but but I forget, "only has 10gb vram"...... :p I also got a golden sample with how good of an undervolter it is too, 1815 boosts to 1830/1840 with .825MHz so basically a 100w less than stock for same or better perf.

It's why I won't be too bothered paying up to £1100 or so for my next GPU whatever that may be.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well the 70 class normally gives previous gen top performance yet this time it fell far short so maybe there is something to the die sizes ;)

My 4050 Ti is faster than a 3090 and runs on less than half the watts. Happy with it to be fair. Playing Horizon Forbidden West maxed out in three digit fps :D

Chefs kiss at £575 brand new with 3 years warranty :p

Soldato

I just saw an alert on HUKD so didn't even go that far in effort! :cry:

Which Joxeon will look at the die size and say is actually a 5050 :p
Well the 70 class normally gives previous gen top performance yet this time it fell far short so maybe there is something to the die sizes ;)

Die size is an indication of transistor count relative to the top SKU and to the previous generation,which is the important metric.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
My 4050 Ti is faster than a 3090 and runs on less than half the watts. Happy with it to be fair. Playing Horizon Forbidden West maxed out in three digit fps :D

Chefs kiss at £575 brand new with 3 years warranty :p
Have some balls and say who it is. Can't be me as I have a 4070 Ti which easily beats the 3090 using less than half the power to boot
:cry:

Lets deal with these false statements being thrown about ...

Data taken from Techpowerup's latest gpu review the ASUS 7900 GRE TUF. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-7900-gre-tuf/

"My 4050 Ti is faster than a 3090 and runs on less than half the watts." I'm guessing you mistyped 4070 TI as that is what you own.

They compare FE models here in the data 3090 FE and 4070 TI

JaCrkwJ.png

Zyh9xjk.png

ZSbthMX.png

Now the statements comparing these cards you have made on more than one occasion now are false, so going to reply to this because it is misleading and blatantly false information.

You state the 4070Ti vs the 3090 is faster and uses less than half the power.. as you see from the results the cards in FE form actually perform exactly the same in stock state. Also the 4070Ti does not use less than half the power of a 3090, max power use data above and other data for power use here https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-7900-gre-tuf/39.html so you can cherry pick your data chart with none showing what you state.

As you see from the performance data there is zero difference at 4K at stock and the Max power use data shows the 3090 only uses 68W more used and remember the 3090 has 24GB VRAM so that uses more power too as it is double the 4070TI's 12GB VRAM.. other data there will show different data for each tests done, but using the max power use data here. None show the 4070Ti uses less than half the power of a 3090 as you state.

chCkBV4.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom