Blue cards? Yes or no

Soldato
I'm open to change to make the game better. I truly am. But not this one. It's going to get stupid. A cynical foul to stop a potential break and goal is a yellow and always has been. That they get to come back on after 10 minutes is not that much of a punishment as you know what the other team is doing whilst a man is in the sin bin. Time wasting to see it through. Even if the clock is "stopped" virtually, it never really is. There is always that time pressure when it gets way past the added minutes thing and the refs cave and blow earlier than it should have been.

I don't see what benefit it brings. If they can't control their mouths and reactions and make cynical fouls, then they deserve yellows. It adds complexity to an already working system.

If anything there have been calls for an "Orange" card, which is between yellow and red, for those fouls that are really nasty challenges but not quite reds. Perhaps if you got one, it could be like a yellow plus sin bin of ten minutes. Or maybe just that if you make one more foul at all, you're off.

Soldato
OP
I'm open to change to make the game better. I truly am. But not this one. It's going to get stupid. A cynical foul to stop a potential break and goal is a yellow and always has been.
Totally agree. Playing devil's advocate I would say it gives the refs another option. At the moment they're too scared to send players off (even if they deserve it) so those players get no punishment instead, which doesn't seem fair either.

Associate
If officials could follow the rule book and be consistent then maybe it could work, currently it will be horrendous.
Plus it will most likely lead to more injuries if players just have to sit there for ten mins

Last edited:
Soldato
they hold off using yellows too long at the start of the game, players seem to get a bunch of warnings before a yellow, which is dumb imo, just give the yellow instead of the first warning.

Man of Honour
A no from me. Generally I think it is better if a ref lets the game flow a bit as well within reason as long as they are even handed.

Something I do think though, even at lower levels, there should be a bit more room for games to be reviewed after the fact (outside of very serious incidents) - one of the recent games my local town team played one of the opposition was doing some sneaky stuff to wind one of our players up off the ball, culminating in some kind of physical altercation initiated by the other player to get a reaction and the ref only saw when our player unfortunately, but quite understandably, reacted, penalising our player and the other got off scot free which IMO is a disgrace.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’d a,ways thought it would be a good idea to trial but I’m with the majority on this one. Consistency of the current system is so bad the last thing the game needs is another layer of complications, confusion and controversy.

Soldato
If officials could follow the rule book and be consistent then maybe it could work, currently it will be horrendous.
Plus it will most likely lead to more injuries if players just have to sit there for ten mins
They arent going to just go and sit down like naughty little boys are they? They don’t do that in sports that have interchanges. They’ll likely sit on an exercise bike or get a massage.

Associate
It won't work in football. Even if the refs utilised it well.
We have a sin bin in Irish Gaelic football and it doesn't work.
It works well in rugby as the clock is stopped when play is stopped. Once someone gets a blue card we will just see people rolling around on the ground using up the time.

Soldato
I agree as well. no to blue cards. The game will slow down so much as the other team sits back and time wastes if they have someone in the sin bin, it'll be like watching atletico madrid all the time.

Back
Top Bottom